The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Net Offence and Radim Vrbata

hellosinki

In the last 3 games, the Canucks have scored a mind boggling 5 empty net goals. That is 5/12 of their offence. I don't know whether I should be scared of that for little offence during the game, or happy for that with the Canucks really being able to seal it. What is your take on it?

As for Radim Vrbata, I think he should be paired back with the Sedins, and Burrows, Bonino, and Matthias should be the second line. Vrbata somewhat lacked in offence lately on the second, but the first shift he gets back with the Sedins, he scores a beauty of a goal. It might be that playing with the Sedins motivates him, but I think he should be put back on that first line...at least for now with the Canucks needing the most scoring possible heading into the playoffs. Anyone else agree with this?

I still don't know why coaches pull the goalie being down by 2 with under a minute to go it hardly ever works out and you just spot the opposing team another goal. Thanks Patrick Roy!

A loss is a loss, doesn't matter if you lose by 1 or 3. If there's a tiny chance to come out with a win, the coach is going to take it. No harm in giving it everything you can.

In the last 3 games, the Canucks have scored a mind boggling 5 empty net goals. That is 5/12 of their offence. I don't know whether I should be scared of that for little offence during the game, or happy for that with the Canucks really being able to seal it. What is your take on it?

As for Radim Vrbata, I think he should be paired back with the Sedins, and Burrows, Bonino, and Matthias should be the second line. Vrbata somewhat lacked in offence lately on the second, but the first shift he gets back with the Sedins, he scores a beauty of a goal. It might be that playing with the Sedins motivates him, but I think he should be put back on that first line...at least for now with the Canucks needing the most scoring possible heading into the playoffs. Anyone else agree with this?

not sure what the hellsinki you are thinky?

but Vrbata has 7 points in his last 3 games.

All the empty net goals are a good thing, not a negative.

Last year the word was out in the league, all you had to do was pressure the Canucks at the end of a game, and they'd fold.

So team's would pull their goalies... and pile on... and most of the time it would work... was the worst part of the season, Team morale was in the gutter by the end... with Tortorella screaming at them in the locker room afterwards.

Now the way the Sedins and Vrbata are scoring the EN's, teams are going to be a lot more cautious and wait till the last minute... only pull their goalies when it is completely safe... and that means a lot less time to score the tieing goal.

I think he's trying to point out that Vrbata plays with an extra "umph' when with the Sedins. You can clearly see the difference between Vrbata on the First line and Vrbata on the Second Line.

There is one reason I think Vrbata will remain on the second line / is not the best fit for the Sedins - something Henrik brought up recently.

With Vrbata on that line, it's up to the Sedins to get in on the forecheck and generate space for Vrbata. With Burrows or Kassian on the Sedins line, it's the other way around.

Aside from that he's a great, pitch and catch puck possession, two way match for them. But that's a pretty pivotal aspect that I think is preferable to have a player with the Sedins who does more of the hard areas work for them.

I'm not sure that Vrbata's goal tonight with them was as much an intention to reunite them as it was a situational line change thing.

In any event, HIggins Bonino Vrbata has been just fine - Vrbata's 6 other points in the last three games with those two would suggest that his production is alright without them - perhaps even makes the team more balanced and difficult to defend.

The Sedin line was productive with Kassian there. Did we forget about Kassian already? Vrbata is a huge talent that can score on the second line and lord knows we need scoring in the second line. If you put Vrbata on the first line then where does the playoff opposition put their best defense?

We need to keep them guessing. The only team that makes it through to the finals is a four line scoring team or a total shutdown defensive team. Where do you think the Canucks can fit into those two molds?

Vrbata is only 6 points off of his career high (62). I hope he breaks it. He's been insanely fun to watch, I'm excited to see if he can keep it up in the play-offs. I like him with the Sedins but I really think we need him on the second for the sake of balance. They can still be money together on the powerplay.

Vrbata is also tied for 10th in goals right now, would be awesome to see him finish in the top 10.

He was a 35 goal scorer in phoenix and you thought playing with the Sedins he would score less than 20..come on.

3 years ago when he was 30 he had 20 goals last season and 12 in the shortened season which would put him on pace for 28 this season he's back up to a pace of 34 so yeah it seems like he was on a downward trend because he's aging so him doing this good is better than expected

Eh, the fact that we score so empty net goals ought to make teams wary. If it gets down to crunch time the other team might wait longer to pull the goalie until they're truly desperate. We don't fold like last season and we'll score if given an opportunity.

I like him with the twins, but having him on the second line gives our lineup more balance. It's not just shut down a line and you win. Other teams have to respect him as a goal scorer regardless as to who he's playing with.

Archived