The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

4 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I've read his "Sandman" series of graphic novels a couple of times.

I think Gaiman is most likely a genius.

I picked up a copy of "The Graveyard Book" a few years ago at the Sally Ann and really enjoyed it even though it's ostensibly a kid's book. (So is "Coraline")

I've been picking up his stuff ever since. I got "Neverwhere" at the same time I bought "American Gods". It was a 2 for $15 sale at Coles...

• 1 month later...

They Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

It's really good; I love the writing style. I haven't really paid much attention to that in the past, but the way Sanderson writes really engages me in the the world. It's been a while since I've read a book I enjoy this much.

Road Trip Rwanda:  A Journey Into the New Heart of Africa - Will Ferguson

Excellent book and almost impossible to put down. Not looking forward to this one being marked 'read'.

Hope lives in Africa. Twenty years after the genocide that left Rwanda in ruins, Giller Prize-winning author Will Ferguson travels deep into the once-mysterious "Land of a Thousand Hills" with his friend and cohort Jean-Claude Munyezamu, a man who escaped Rwanda just months before the killings began.
From the legendary Source of the Nile to Dian Fossey's famed "gorillas in the mist," from innovative refugee camps along the Congolese border to the world's most escapable prison, from tragic genocide sites to open savannahs and a bridge to freedom, from schoolyard soccer pitches to a cunning plan to get rich on passion fruit, Ferguson and Munyezamu discover a country reborn.
Funny, engaging, poignant, and at times heartbreaking, Road Trip Rwanda is the lively tale of two friends, the open road, and the hidden heart of a continent

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

Road Trip Rwanda:  A Journey Into the New Heart of Africa - Will Ferguson

Excellent book and almost impossible to put down. Not looking forward to this one being marked 'read'.

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

... Dian Fossey's famed "gorillas in the mist,"  ...

I've just come back from a week long adventure in neighbouring Tanzania (in my imagination) after reading In The Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall. If you're still feeling all African adventurous after the Rwanda book and want some actual monkey business to boot, it's a great one to check out. It's about her first ten years in the wild, her early research and discoveries such as the chimps tool-using and tool-making, chimp social behavior/hierarchy etc, very interesting stuff. She has a nice easy going style and sense of humour. Great person, great book. (I always liked her in the interviews she had with George Snuffulupagus, had to finally read this one, will be reading more of her work in the future)

Today I've started reading Hunger by Knut Hamsun. The protagonist could really use one of Goodall's banana bunker boxes.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Currently trying to read Triple Crown-Winning Canada's energy Future

Its a very interesting book and was being written by Jim Prentice the former Premier of Alberta he never saw the book completed as he died in a plane crash.

21 hours ago, turstal said:

Just finished this:
41Z06PJRlZL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Definitely a recommend. Many notes and dog eared pages.

Midway through this for the bookclub at work:
41hzhOvQY4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Weird my best friend has been going on about these two books a lot.

I'm gonna read the Peterson one soon.

Seen a few Jocko clips on you tube. I like his approach, reminds me of martial arts training. You can learn from everything and you are responsible for all that happens in your life, no victim type of self talk ....as its titled 'extreme ownership'. 

About two-thirds way through Emile Zola's "The Masterpiece".

Zola, a nineteenth century French writer, hung around with the Impressionists.  This novel is about the creative struggle of an impressionistic type artist presumably based on some of the characters and incidents that Zola knew from personal experience. 

Enjoying it. 

Currently reading Death's End, the third installment of the Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu.

Liu writes in Mandarin, so all three novels have been translated, but the imagination of this man is amazing. If you're a hard SF fan, I highly recommend. Fair warning though: Liu is one of those writers who bounces around time lines and finishes chapters cryptically, so you spend 3/4 of the book wondering where the narrative is going, only to have it all tied together at the end.

It's one of those trilogies that takes a while to get into, but once you're in, you're hooked.

Cixin himself has been at the forefront of the scene since the 1990s. He is the first Asian writer to receive a Hugo award (in 2015), and the author whose work best captures the giddying, libidinous pace of the Chinese economic boom. His monumental Three-Body Trilogy – first published between 2006 and 2010, and recently translated into English by Ken Liu, a Chinese-American sci-fi writer – is Chinese science fiction’s best-known work. Barack Obama is a fan, and the forthcoming movie adaptations are already being described as ‘China’s Star Wars’. The trilogy concerns the catastrophic consequences of humanity’s attempt to make contact with extraterrestrials (it turns out that the reason we haven’t heard from aliens yet is that we’re the only species thick enough to reveal our own location in the universe). It is one of the most ambitious works of science fiction ever written.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n03/nick-richardson/even-what-doesnt-happen-is-epic

• 1 month later...

A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership - James Comey

I'm rating this book a good 9/10. Not because it's seen as an 'anti-Trump' book but because it's a fascinating read about exactly who James Comey is and his perspective of what went down regarding his firing. James Comey is a man of integrity, honesty and straight-forwardness. The distinction between what Trump has been hawking and spewing about James Comey is exactly what many of us have thought from day one...Trump is full of $&!#. (Ooops, apologies for the mini-Trump rant...)  This book is a good read for finding out exactly who James Comey is. And it's not the picture so many Americans were led to believe.