The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

Reading the bible. Usually at least a chapter a day.

Other than that, I find I'm more into audiobooks. I rarely have much time to sit and devote my attention to a book long enough to finish it. Whereas I spend a lot of time doing menial tasks or walking, and can finish a good audiobook within a few days.

Here are the last couple I "read":

Think Like a Freak (Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner)

Continues the series of Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics, but with a twist. An outstanding listen/read, which I can't recommend highly enough. The audiobook had a few episodes of the Freakonomics Radio podcasts tacked on, and got me hooked on those.

How To Instantly Connect With Anyone (Leil Lowndes)

Some interesting tips and anecdotes. However, much of it seemed forced, and often a bit old-fashioned. And the author's voice can be grating at times. I'd pass.

If I do get the chance to dive into a meaty book, I have a copy of Collapse (Jared Diamond) that I have had sitting on the shelf for years. But that's not something I can absorb in short, 5-minute sessions on the can. Always wanted to read it, but just never found the time/focus.

I'm with you, both on Bible and audiobooks. My drive to work went from 6 minutes to 45 minutes since November. Music has become a little "repetitive" now, so listening to a lot more audiobooks and podcasts.

i'm about 50 pages into Nabokov's Lolita for the first time. i dunno why i've put this off for so long, but so far its shockingly good.

I binged Lolita over the Valentines Day weekend last month (odd timing, I know) but man, it was a great read. The pedophilia stuff almost becomes second nature in the second half of the book. I'm interested as to what your conclusions will be upon finishing it.

When school isn't annihilating my life, and I can actually get my hands on a copy (from the library or whatever medium) I plan on reading And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseni. I genuinely enjoyed The Kite Runner from Hosseni, although I understand that the book may not have been for everyone. Regardless, I want to give his other books a shot.

The books I have sitting in my living room that I have already started -

* The Conscious Cleanse - I eat entirely way too much and on occasions, drink more than my usual amount of wine.

* Insight Guide Cuba - I can't wait to go to Cuba for the first time and legally!

* The Pursuit of Hockeyness 99 Things Every Hockey Fan Needs to do Before they Die - What an exciting book!

I read a lot, like four or five books a month, the library is like my best friend. I read almost anything but tend to enjoy thrillers/horror and mysteries the most. I think they are fun and silly and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon.

At the moment though I pulled a old favorite off my book shelf. The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Its a pretty good murder mystery/thriller on its own but one of the reasons I love it so much is because it introduces one of my all time favorite characters FBI agent Pendergrast. He seriously is quirky and really is what makes Preston and Child's novels work so well. I have read some of their other stuff that do not feature him or other characters from the Pendergrast novels and just did not enjoy them as much.

Anyways if anyone is looking for a good book on its own right or even is looking for a new series of novels to get into I highly recommend Relic and the other Pendergrast novels.

They did make a movie based on the book but it sucked hardcore. The movie was fun and cheesy but it lacked the elements of the book that made it so creepy. It also lacked Pendergrast which in itself should be a crime, seriously don't know why they didn't put him in The movie.

Edited by AppleJack

I read a lot, like four or five books a month, the library is like my best friend. I read almost anything but tend to enjoy thrillers/horror and mysteries the most. I think they are fun and silly and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon.

At the moment though I pulled a old favorite off my book shelf. The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Its a pretty good murder mystery/thriller on its own but one of the reasons I love it so much is because it introduces one of my all time favorite characters FBI agent Pendergrast. He seriously is quirky and really is what makes Preston and Child's novels work so well. I have read some of their other stuff that do not feature him or other characters from the Pendergrast novels and just did not enjoy them as much.

Anyways if anyone is looking for a good book on its own right or even is looking for a new series of novels to get into I highly recommend Relic and the other Pendergrast novels.

They did make a movie based on the book but it sucked hardcore. The movie was fun and cheesy but it lacked the elements of the book that made it so creepy. It also lacked Pendergrast which in itself should be a crime, seriously don't know why they didn't put him in The movie.

Is there any order to the books? You have me wanting to read Relic. I love quirky characters, so I'm sure I'd be a fan of Pendergrast.

along with Lolita (which I am about halfway through now, and think is unbelievably good), I'm also going through Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman again. pretty much all of the Off Topic post-spammers should give it a read. especially the ones who care, or pretend to care, about all the news they post/spam. basically, the gist of the book is just encouraging a hyper-critical examination of what information we consume and why we consume it -- and how that reflection leads into a bit of a rabbit hole of meaningless information.

considering the book is about 30 years old and Postman couldn't even factor the internet into his discussion is remarkable. its content is as valuable today as ever.

a bit jargon-y at times, but it's short. and extremely rewarding, i think.

amusing.jpg

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1