The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

• 2 weeks later...

"Morningstar" by David Gemmell....IMO the finest writer in the "Sword and Sorcery" fantasy genre....and unfortunately, no longer with us.

Luckily, we have people like Uncle George and Patrick Rothfuss picking up the mantle. (even though they're doing it slowly)

Secondhand Time by Svetlana Alexiovich. 5/5

It's a compilation of interviews of Soviet peoples and their experiences. You get a good idea of what life is like for these people and the pain and sorrow they've endured through communism, during the transition, and adapting to capitalism.

Not a pleasant read by any means but a damn good book. Though not one I plan on going back to any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfollow by Megan Phelps-Roper

A very interesting book by a former prominent member of the Westboro Baptist Church.  These are the folks you sometimes see on tv picketing the funerals of American soldiers and celebrating the deaths of homosexuals.  Basically, it's one extended family of religious extremists into which Phelps-Roper was born .  She describes her life within the church as a true believer, then recounts how doubts began to form, culminating in her decision to leave the church and her family and then coping with life in the outside world.

16 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Unfollow by Megan Phelps-Roper

A very interesting book by a former prominent member of the Westboro Baptist Church.  These are the folks you sometimes see on tv picketing the funerals of American soldiers and celebrating the deaths of homosexuals.  Basically, it's one extended family of religious extremists into which Phelps-Roper was born .  She describes her life within the church as a true believer, then recounts how doubts began to form, culminating in her decision to leave the church and her family and then coping with life in the outside world.

I've never heard of her but might check it out; I've a real interest in these types of things.

I don't think most people who comment on these Westboro guys when they come up understand super well the 'mind control' and indoctrinating powers/relationships that can force a person into such a group/cult. It's a very sad thing, and I tend to see many of the people who are in similar organizations with a very sympathetic sorrow; I don't think all of them are devils, just people who fell into traps and bad thinking.

Edited by 112

50 minutes ago, 112 said:

I've never heard of her but might check it out; I've a real interest in these types of things.

I don't think most people who comment on these Westboro guys when they come up understand super well the 'mind control' and indoctrinating powers/relationships that can force a person into such a group/cult. It's a very sad thing, and I tend to see many of the people who are in similar organizations with a very sympathetic sorrow; I don't think all of them are devils, just people who fell into traps and bad thinking.

I think you'd enjoy it.  Here's a four minute clip where she talks about her history:

• 4 weeks later...

"The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal" by Ben Mezrich

Written back in 2009 without any participation by Mark Zuckerberg, I found this to be an entertaining, breezy story about how Facebook came to be.  And an incredible story it is: two college guys - one a computer nerd/genius and the other with financial wherewithall, get together to create a social app at Harvard that, within a couple of years, was worth millions and millions and millions of dollars with a lot more to come.  Amazing.

• 1 year later...

I've been reading books on frugality and finished:

"Meet the Frugalwoods - Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living" by Thames, Elizabeth Willard  

"The Ultimate Guide to Frugal Living" by Luther, Daisy.

I'm currently reading, "Frugal Isn't Cheap - Spend Less, Save More, and Live Better" by Levison, Claire K.

I've been checking books out in digital copies from the library. Even though I have had some occasional expenditures before the pandemic, I've always been into saving and finding ways to save. I really get a thrill out of budgeting. I create a budget each month and see how much I can save. Then at the end of the month, I add up the totals and get a thrill out of it. I've been doing this for years, but since reading the books and being at home for the past year, I've focused more on saving which has increased my savings.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.....fans of Patrick Rothfuss might enjoy this, while waiting on his glacial progress on the Kingkiller series. (This month marks 10 years since the last installment.....<_<)

Oh, man, I have a 1st edition of the Name of the Wind but won't bring myself to reading it unless he finishes the series. I will likely end up selling it at some point, cause it really doesn't seem like he will. Sad, I've heard amazing things about it. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Oh, man, I have a 1st edition of the Name of the Wind but won't bring myself to reading it unless he finishes the series. I will likely end up selling it at some point, cause it really doesn't seem like he will. Sad, I've heard amazing things about it. 

I've read the first two and I loved them, but the wait for number three has been pretty frustrating....pretty much the same as waiting for Winds of Winter from Martin.

The difference is, I suppose, that HBO hasn't completed Rothfuss' work before he does...

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Angel_Trilogy

Fans of Patrick Rothfuss might enjoy this, while waiting on his glacial progress on the Kingkiller series. (This month marks 10 years since the last installment.....<_<)

I really enjoyed the Lightbringer series. 

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I heard good things as well. It's on my Amazon wishlist....

I almost want to read again.

It has a really cool concept of how magic works in their world, based in light and colour. It makes it different from the usual 'Tolkien' type reality. Hard to explain but I really enjoyed it. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Angel_Trilogy

Fans of Patrick Rothfuss might enjoy this, while waiting on his glacial progress on the Kingkiller series. (This month marks 10 years since the last installment.....<_<)

I take note of the fact you like fantasy.

Try the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove.

Oldy but a Goldy.

• Cheers 1

• 1 year later...

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

An entertaining suspense/sci-fi novel about a college physics teacher who is kidnapped for reasons unknown to him.  And then multiple universes come into play.  An easy reading book (despite some dips into quantum physics) that's great for summer reading.