The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we trade Miller in the summer? [Discussion]

If you were GM of the Canucks, would you trade Miller and just go with Lack and Markstrom  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I missed another topic that directly asks this, then my apologies for starting a new one, but couldn't find one in search.

Its very possible that the cap this summer could stay the same or a really slight 1 million ish increase.

I am not asking if you think Benning would trade Miller, I'm asking if YOU the fans would, and if you would be confident in Lack and Markstrom as our tandem next season.

That leaves about 10 to 11 million to sign:

RFA's:

Linden Vey 750k

Ronalds Kenins (I personally think he will want a one way deal next year) 750 - 850k

Brandon McMillan (I don't think he will be given a qualifying offer) 500k

Luca Sbisa 3 million

Yannick Weber (I'm on the fence on whether we need him after this season) 850k

Ryan Stanton 750k

Adam Clendening 900k

Jacob Markstrom (Will either sign a one way deal with us or be traded) 1.25 million average to prove himself.

UFA's

Shawn Matthais ( would love to see him back) 2.5 million

Derek Dorsett ( I feel he really brings something to the team) 2 million

Not counting hits from McMillian or Markstrom, that's still 10.75 million.

Even if we let Dorsett and Matthais walk, we would still need to replace them through free agency for something close to that rate. Even if we replace from prospects, the guys who would be ready to go are still going to have 1.5 million cap hits once everything is factored.

So, would you move Miller and free up 6 million or do you keep him for now?

I say trade Miller, and possibly Markstrom, too.

Miller because of his cap hit. If we really need an experienced goalie, we can sign Niemi to a 2 year, $3 or $4 million contract to be a #1A to Lack's #1. Markstrom, we could get a decent prospect from a team that desperately needs a young goalie, possible a pick.

Not in the Summer. If anything, at next years trade deadline at the least.

Don't get me wrong Lack has played phenomenal in Millers' absence but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's a small sample size and would be irrational to believe Eddie can keep that pace up for a full season and trusted as a starter. Lack has definitely taken a big leap though and if he shows next season as well he can keep doing this and gain the confidence of the organization, then the team can look at exploring the options of possibly shipping out Miller.

But again, it's way too early to say at this point in time. Goaltending is this teams strong point so we can take as much time as we like to ensure the right decision is made.

I say trade Miller, and possibly Markstrom, too.

Miller because of his cap hit. If we really need an experienced goalie, we can sign Niemi to a 2 year, $3 or $4 million contract to be a #1A to Lack's #1. Markstrom, we could get a decent prospect from a team that desperately needs a young goalie, possible a pick.

I like the idea of trading Miller and trying to bring in a half decent prospect in the trade who can share Utica duties with Cannata next year.

Absolutely! Good goalie but his usefulness here was about 2 months of his three year contract.

It was great having a proven, veteran tender back there while the team got comfortable with the new coach/systems, player turnover and fragile psyche from last season. Beyond that....his services (and $6m cap hit) are no longer really required.

The problem comes with actually moving him. He has a limited NTC, he's aging, he's made it known he'd like to be on the West Coast to be near his wife and he's overpaid ~$1m. That's a tough sell and a limited market.

Could mean retaining salary or taking less in return.

Why cant we run lack and miller next year? 50-30 split or 50-50 split would probably beneifit both goalies.

But in reality if one has to be traded it will be Lack. Miller has a NTC and only one team on the west coast is in need for goaltending, San Jose and they're looking to get younger not older.

I highly doubt he waves to go to Edmonton or Calgary, his wife is in Hollywood and those flights involve connections to get to LAX.

edit: Correction Edmonton to LAX is a direct flight but only runs onces a day.

if we sign oconnor trade miller to ducks for a 2nd and a 3rd they will realize they need a goalie after playoff bust this

trade erickson to oilers for a 3rd

utica oconnor and cannata

canucks lack and markstrom

I like it!

I generally like Miller, just really not sure if we need him. Lack looks like a starter since Miller went down with injury.

Does anyone remember how good Schneider was when he first came to play for us in the big leagues? He had just come from the AHL winning the AHL goalie of the year award and when he came here all of that was thrown out the window; in other words, he flat out sucked. AV was then reluctant to use him the rest of the season and he went back to the AHL.

He then came back and developed nicely into a great goaltender under lu. He became so good, that in 2010-2011 he was at and or better than the level lu was at. If we never had lu, the development of Schneider may have gone terribly and he likely isn't a starter right now. Lu gave Schneider time to develop in the background, learn from his mistakes and his work ethic.

This is exactly why we shouldn't trade Miller. This is only lacks second full season and despite the fact many are saying he is ready because of what he just did during the injury crisis, there is still a ways to go before we can be competitive without Miller for a full season. Lack might be able to hold for short times but from the buffalo game to the St Louis game he allowed 11 goals in two games. He was clearly exhausted in those games and we were forced to start Markstrom early.

Benning said he wants our prospects to develop in a winning environment with good veterans surrounding them. This why the Miller signing was so important. It gives Lack the time and role model that Schneider had to properly develop into a bonafide starter.

100 % Yes !

I however, don't see a team out there that would take that contract off our hands. I would let him go for nothing, just to free up the 6 million dollars to be used in other areas.

IMO Benning has done an amazing job in his first year , with 2 notable exceptions (Miller and Linden Vey)

Particularily Miller...he was bidding against nobody for an aging Goalie who wanted to stay on the west coast. Probably could have had him in the 4mil range.

On the positive side, I love the "loyalty" the new regime seems to have towards "their" guys.(and vice versa) It should pay off down the road when it comes to retaining players.

if we sign oconnor trade miller to ducks for a 2nd and a 3rd they will realize they need a goalie after playoff bust this

trade erickson to oilers for a 3rd

utica oconnor and cannata

canucks lack and markstrom

John Gibson is 21 and Fredrik Andersen is 25. The Ducks aren't in the goalie market.

Why cant we run lack and miller next year? 50-30 split or 50-50 split would probably beneifit both goalies.

But in reality if one has to be traded it will be Lack. Miller has a NTC and only one team on the west coast is in need for goaltending, San Jose and they're looking to get younger not older.

I highly doubt he waves to go to Edmonton or Calgary, his wife is in Hollywood and those flights involve connections to get to LAX.

edit: Correction Edmonton to LAX is a direct flight but only runs onces a day.

I don't think Miller takes many flights out there anyway during the season but he's definitely not going to Edmonton or Calgary.

Archived