The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we trade Miller in the summer? [Discussion]

If you were GM of the Canucks, would you trade Miller and just go with Lack and Markstrom  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the problem.

You trade either Lack or Miller, who's the backup? Markstrom? I'm ok with that if he's the backup.

Now say 10-20 games in Lack or Miller goes down with an injury. Are you ok with Markstrom as your starter???

We had this problem in the Cloutier years. He went down and he had to ride Auld but we missed the playoffs.

Here's the problem.

You trade either Lack or Miller, who's the backup? Markstrom? I'm ok with that if he's the backup.

Now say 10-20 games in Lack or Miller goes down with an injury. Are you ok with Markstrom as your starter???

We had this problem in the Cloutier years. He went down and he had to ride Auld but we missed the playoffs.

Hence why you need 2 solid goalies. We have had success with it before with Luongo/Schneider.

Here's the problem.

That could happen to just about any team in the league. The starter goes down, and the team needs to rely on the backup as the starter. Look at the Rangers, would you ever have thought Cam Talbot posting those numbers, like he has, when Lundqvist went down? Same with Hammond, in Ottawa.

Miller or Lack won’t be here next year. Miller is a number one goalie and Lack has shown he can be a number one goalie. Lack is in the prime of his career, last thing he wants to do it waste these high money making years playing a 30-50 split. Next offseason is a contract year. He’s going to want to hit a home run by being signed as a proven number one guy, not as a guy with things still to prove. That’s the difference between a 5 year 20 mil compared to a 5 year 30 mil contract. Lack deserves his opportunity to run with a full time starter role. If he doesn’t see it happening in Vancouver, than he will be asking for a trade in the off season.

As much as Lack is a guy that everyone likes, at the end of the day, Lack has to do what’s best for him and his career, if there are better opportunities in another city, it’s his right to explore those situations.

As for Miller, he was signed as a number one guy. Not a 1a or 1b, but a true number one. That's why he's making 6 mil a year. Miller is going to expect to play at minimum 50+ games a season over the duration of his contract.

Keep miller and lack and trade markstrom. Remember when every team in the NHL including us gave up on him. Couldn't give him away. Went to the AHL had a good season 1-1 in his 3 games started here. I just don't think Eddie and Markstrom would be a good combo for next year. And believe me im all for Eddie huge fan and he has stepped up and played great. Still needs a couple more years and he will be an elite number 1. Lets not forget this is Vancouver after all and we are notorious for having goalie controversy. Take the easy decision and keep lack trade Jacob because hes an RFA at the end of the year where as lack has one year left a 1.12m.

If Miller blabbed to the media that he wanted out of Vancouver then he should be traded as soon as possible for the best possible return.

If Miller made it known (to the team rather than the media) that he would be okay with a trade to certain teams, then the yes, the Canucks should look at trading Miller.

If Miller doesn't volunteer to be traded then he doesn't get moved nor should the team even consider moving him.

regards,

G.

If Miller blabbed to the media that he wanted out of Vancouver then he should be traded as soon as possible for the best possible return.

If Miller made it known (to the team rather than the media) that he would be okay with a trade to certain teams, then the yes, the Canucks should look at trading Miller.

If Miller doesn't volunteer to be traded then he doesn't get moved nor should the team even consider moving him.

regards,

G.

I'm conflicted on trading Miller. On one hand, Lack has been fantastic, and could even be considered a starter for next depending on playoffs. On the other hand, we just signed Miller, and if we trade him, how will that look for future free agents?

I think Miller understands the economics of the cap. Wen he signed the contract for 6 million, the assumption was that the next year, the cap would rise by another 3 - 5 million. If it stays stagnant, can we afford a 6 million cap hit in net?

I think Lack is the more valuable commodity. Miller is getting up there in age, his cap hit is 6 mil the next two years. Unless the Canucks were willing to retain a significant portion of that salary why would a team pay top assets for him? Goalies are undervalued in the league. Unless you are a young goalie with high pedigree like Schneider/Varlamov you are unlikely to return even a 1st round pick. As good as Lack has been I still don't think a team trades a 1st in this draft for him.

I think Lack is the more valuable commodity. Miller is getting up there in age, his cap hit is 6 mil the next two years. Unless the Canucks were willing to retain a significant portion of that salary why would a team pay top assets for him? Goalies are undervalued in the league. Unless you are a young goalie with high pedigree like Schneider/Varlamov you are unlikely to return even a 1st round pick. As good as Lack has been I still don't think a team trades a 1st in this draft for him.

Then keep Lack. No need to trade him for garbage. He is the best goalie in the organization. Trade Miller for future considerations.

I personally think we should keep Miller for one more season. By the end of the next season I believe Markstrom and Lack will be fully prepared for the NHL, they still need a bit more work. If we do trade Miller, I would be hoping for a prospect D-man and a draft pick.

Disagree, he stood on his head against LA and Anahiem. That to me is saying something about Lack's character. I say we run with Markstorm and Lack, but trade Miller to a contender. Let's all hope Anahiem chokes.

And yet we have an unproven Back up in Markstrom.

Markstrom has not proven that he is any better than a good AHL goalie.

Nucks could be in big trouble if he is the backup next year.

Keep Miller and Lack.

That's usually how backups start though until they get a chance to play 20-25 ges a year.

I'm conflicted on this as I can see logic in all three possible scenarios.

It's nice to have confidence in the GM to make the right choice though.

Archived