The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason deals (proposal)

Here is my armchair GM idea on what the canucks could do in the offseason. Over the next 2 years canucks are set to turn over even more of the veteran experience into youth. Hammer, Juice, & Vbrata are UFA’s at the end of next season. Burrows, Higgins, & Bonino are UFA’s at the end of the 2017 season (2 years from now). And Finally the twins become UFA’s at the end of the 2018 season. II fully expect many of these players not to be re-signed and spots will be rewarded to a new upcoming group of players. So what I propose is that this summer (prior to draft) we get a head start on the youth movement and acquire some assets in return.

Trade

Lack + B Prospect (Jensen/Shinkaruk) for Yakupov

Higgins to PHI for 2nd 2015

Burrows (15% salary retained) + 2015 3rd + Stanton to MTL for 2015 1st

Bieska (15% salary retained) to TO for 2015 2nd

(July) Sign

Sign Mike Green 3 years @ 5.5 per

Re-sign

Dorsett

Matthias

2015-16 Line up

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Bonino Kassian
Matthias Horvat Yakupov
Dorsett __4th__ Hansen

Kenins

4th = Vey, Cassels, Richardson re-signing, or UFA signing

Edler Tanev

Green Hamhuis

Sbisa Corrado

Clendening/Stanton

Miller

Markstrom

Why Yakupov?

Canucks need a top 6 RW, Vbrata’s contract is up at the end of next year he will 35 years of age. Not that I expect him to be too old to play by then but Canucks really need to start handing over key roles to younger players that will be part of this team’s future. Yakupov could with the help of an actually NHL coach that wants to win could become that player before the end of next year. As an 18 year old he put up 17 goals in 48 games (29 goals/game pace in an 82 game season), Yes the last two years have been rough years, (especially in the plus/minus area) but it has been rough for the entire oilers team. A new scenery and a fresh start could be exactly what his confidence needs. Similar to what we are doing with Baertschi. If canucks can get a 30 goal scorer out Yakupov (who is still only 21) canucks would be set for many years.

Mike Green? Really?

Yes Mike Green, since Ehrhoff has left this team has felt a void in its offensive defensemen. Our PP has hurt and our overall goals per game average has went down as a result. WSH has effectively used Green this year limiting his minute to almost pure offensive opportune minutes. As a result, Green has put up 39 points in less than 70 games played. Mike Green is a bit of a long shot to sign at only 5.5 but perhaps 3 years is a more length that other teams might offer considering his injury history.

2015 Draft

Canucks go into the draft with two 1st round picks and two high 2nd round picks. A big improvement over our current 1st and 3rd.

Retaining Salary

I know there is going to be a lot of grief about the retaining of salary on both Bieska and Burrows. But when people need to realized is that, with Bieska canucks only retain 690k for one season. With burrows it’s only 675k for two seasons. With the current line up I’ve proposed there are enough low contracts that allow the canucks the cap space to do this. A rough estimate, even with retaining salary and the addition of player raises, canucks would still have 5.5 open cap space next season. If retaining salary makes these two players more enticing (better offers) and has little impact on the canucks line up, then why would mgmt not consider it.

NTC

All three players trade have NTC or limited NTC, but all three players are traded to teams that likely interest the players and teams that likely have interest in the player as well. Burrows and Bieska are both picked up for a cap hit of less than 4 million.

Loss of leadership

Losing Bieska and Burrows does seem like a big loss of veteran leaders in the room. At first you would think, but one thing I’ve noticed this year is the amount of other players that are making an impact for the rookies coming in. If you read the comments that Horvat has made about adjusting to the NHL, you’ll notice he mentions Hamhuis and Matthias as two guys that have went out of their way. Listening to Kassian, he talks about the impact Dorsett has been on him this year. This team is full of leaders.

Loss of Lack

Lack deserves to get his chance as a fulltime number one goalie. As I’ve said in other threads he is in his prime right now and with next year being a contract year, he’s going to want to cash in. A 30-50 split is not going to help his cause and waste a year off an NHL players short career. With JB unlikely to move Miller and Markstrom not likely re-signing without an NHL role. Lack will be the man out. Edmonton needs to solidify this spot, there was rumours that they were planning on going hard after Talbot this offseason, that was until the Rangers locked him up. Yakupov isn’t working in Edmonton. That roster is unorganized and coaching has down nothing to help players succeed as a team. Lack plus a B-prospect should be enough to pry the former first overall out of Edmonton.

Conclusion

Canucks begin the next chapter of this team. They start to plan for life after the Twins and begin incorporating the replacements into the lineup to learn from a winning team. Realistically canucks don’t give up dramatic roster altering players, rather than letting the players contracts run out and lose then as UFA, we turn them into pieces for the future (circle of life).

Now if you managed to read all that, thoughts?

i didn't like most of those deals...no to green...not a yak fan.and

horvat is great between kenins and hansen...dorsett 4th line rw..vey, matthias.

baertschi with bonino ...kassian,or someone else...not sold on kassian yet...for top 6 winger.

moving higgins, richardson and burrows can be done if they have players that play both offensive and defensively..they don't score much but bring the defensive stability that boasts one of the leagues best penalty killing units in the league...some will have to be moved but should be done after assessing who will do that job next year....

1)Not nearly enough for Yakupov

2)Seems about right for Higgins. Not sure his LNTC would allow it

3) makes no sense for Montreal.

4) no chance Bieksa waives for Toronto

You know you’re probably right with Yak, but I was trying to find some comparables in past deals with other top picks. You can’t really compare past 1st overalls that were traded (Johnson, Nash, Kovalchuk) as they had accomplished so much more in the NHL prior to their trade. Realistically he’s not going to get a return that Seguin, Ryan, or Staal (2nd overalls) got, as they’ve also accomplished so much more as well, prior to getting traded. So looking at comparables:

Van Riemsdyk (2nd overall), 3 years after his draft, picked up Luke Schenn (5th overall)

Van Riemsdyk put up 196 GP 99 Points prior to his trade

Turris (4th Overall), 4 years after his draft fetched, Rundblad (17th) & a second round pick

Turris put up 137 GP 46 Point (almost a ppg in the AHL) prior to his trade

Pouliot (4th Overall), 3 years after his draft fetched, a one for one deal with Letendresse

Niederreiter (5th Overall), 3 years after his draft fetched, Clutterbuck & 3rd

Yak has 84 points in 184 games (-70). 3 years after his draft, I would say a young #1 goalie (Lack) and a former first round prospect (Jensen) is almost bang on for value. A little negotiating on who the prospect is, but value wise were close.

But it always depends on what the market is willing to give up. Considering the need the Oil have for a good goalie and the need is other teams are looking for a RW like Yak. What are some offers other teams may be willing to send Edmonton’s way?

Maybe TO offering Reimer plus? (bring back the Reimer/Scrivens connection)

Oilers sign Niemi?

Sens moving Lehner?

NYI moving a D (Reinhart)?

Lots of options don’t know if many would be willing to beat the Canucks offer.

yakupov is worth more other teams like isles would offer alot more than lack and jensen

i could see isles giving a first second reinhart and martin up for him

green wants to resign in washington hes not going to free agency hes caps bieska he will go down with ship

Burr and bieksa wouldn't waive.

Mike greens nothing but a band aid. Especially for that price.

Plus 3 years from now were gunna need lack no matter what anyone says.

I think the writing is on the wall for both Burr and Bieska. Especially Bieska. He’s likely gone as a UFA at the end of next season (canucks have cheaper younger options to move forward with). Considering that, Bieska only got one year left on his contract, there for you offer him the ability to play in his home province in front of family and friends, I say without a doubt Bieska waives. He’d easily become a leader on that roster. And really if he doesn’t like it, he’s UFA at the end of the year and can walk to any city he wants.

Same can be said with Burr, as much as we’d love to see all these core guys finish their careers off in Vancouver it really likely isn’t going to happen. Not unless they plan on taking big pay cuts, playing limited minutes, and early retirements. We need these spots to start to open up to make room for rookies making that push.

Green is a bit of a band aid, but we could really use the offensive boost on the back end. Not too many high point producing D are going to be available to pick up next season for nothing but cap space.

i didn't like most of those deals...no to green...not a yak fan.and

horvat is great between kenins and hansen...dorsett 4th line rw..vey, matthias.

baertschi with bonino ...kassian,or someone else...not sold on kassian yet...for top 6 winger.

moving higgins, richardson and burrows can be done if they have players that play both offensive and defensively..they don't score much but bring the defensive stability that boasts one of the leagues best penalty killing units in the league...some will have to be moved but should be done after assessing who will do that job next year....

Defensively next season, we’d have Matthias, Dorsett, Hansen, Bonino, Horvat all to keep our strong PK unit. Basically the same members (minus Higgins) that have made it strong this year, considering Richardson has been out so long.

Also Matthias does not re-sign here as a 4th line roll. He’s going to want more commitment. If not, he’ll find a team in the summer that will likely pay him more.

Sure Kenins Hansen and Horvat look good this year. But Horvat’s development curves is way above that of Kenins and Hansen, Next season he will be giving more opportunity and stronger line mates to see what his limit is.

yakupov is worth more other teams like isles would offer alot more than lack and jensen

i could see isles giving a first second reinhart and martin up for him

green wants to resign in washington hes not going to free agency hes caps bieska he will go down with ship

Caps have no space to re-sign green, orpik, Niskanen, Alzner, and calrson are looked up long term, They admitted that right before the draft that they'd likely lose him to UFA this year and were comfortable with that.

Isle do have the assets (minus the first)

I personally think Isles should be going after Kessel, Kessel and Tavares on the same line would be scary. and like I mentioned they have the assets to pick him up.

caps might be interested in Yak, they do like there russians, but Edmonton is really looking for a goalie. They don't really need D prospects they already have Nurse, Klefborn, and Shultz as young D. what they really need is young already proven talent, Someone like Fowler (not saying they are getting him) but someone like him.

kessel is a cancer are u kidding if im isles i stay clear of a tubby lazy player they want a cup not a burger.

yakupov with tavares is where its at

Not sure if your serious. Yak currently is a poor mans Kessel.

Kessel scores at a .37 goals/game rate compared to yaks .22, By Kessels 3rd NHL season he had put up a 36 goal season. Yak in his 3rd season has 40 goals total. I think if some day Yak can score at the rate kessel score he'd be a success. His main area of growth needs to be his defensive play. Neither excel at that. If Kessel wasn't worth 8 Million and at a decent term, i'd take him in a heart beat.

TO’s biggest mistake is making Kessel the leader and go to guy on the team. Kessel is a real good complimentary piece to a strong core. Just Kane in CHI or Gaborik in LA, both teams already have their leaders on those team, these players just have to worry about one thing, scoring. That’s why I think Kessel would be a success in NYI. Tavares is the leader and the guy asked to do all the hard work, Kessel can just be in the back ground scoring a boat load of goals.

Kessel and Tavares would be the east’s version of Kane and Toews,

Same can be said if Yak came to Vancouver. Horvat is the go to guy, Yak would be in the back ground lighting it up.

I would have to say no to Yakupov period. One of the main reasons he has not preformed is that Western conference teams are primarily bigger and more defensive, Yak needs to go to the eastern conference on a team that plays more of an offensive game, like most say i can see the Islanders being a good fit for him with Reinhardt going back to Edmonton

I dont think Bieksa would waive to go to Toronto and not sure Phily would take on Higgins and another 2,5 million contract

Some good ideas though, One situation I would look at if i was Vancouver is looking at NYR with Stepan and Hagelin both needing contracts the money might not be there for both players, possibly could try and pry one of them free both young great players

don't think Yakupov is the answer, plus we hopefully have baertschi that can be a top 6 forward next year onwards..

I must say at the beginning of the year I wanted Higgins gone but his 2.5m isn't too bad for his point totals and PK contributions.

On to Green, I think his cost to the cap isn't worth his weight, he'd probably get more than 5.5m next year UFAs usually get the term and money they want.

I do agree that we need a offensive defenseman on our back end, for that I would be ecstatic to trade for OEL and wouldn't mind trading futures or high-end prospects for him,

Archived