The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Production Crew

Crackers

This is something that's been bothering me for a few years now, but it wasn't until recently that I thought to make a topic about it to hear what others think. I want to talk about the incompetence of the sportsnet production team during Canucks games.

First subject: Ever since the installation of the "sky cam" at the Rog, Sportsnet been using it to death during live action. I find it extremely annoying and unenjoyable compared to the regular live angle. The puck is hard to see, everyone looks small, and it's hard to get a feel of the flow of the game. I'm hoping it's just the novelty of having a "fancy new angle" and soon it won't be used so frequently.

I have the same opinion about any of the other angles they use for live action such as behind the net for powerplays, or corner cams at very poor moments. Just a few nights ago (I forget which game) the top notch producer for Rogers decided to show Bieksa going for a line change while Horvat scored at the other end. Not a huge deal, but rather irritating.

I want to make clear that I like the numerous angles for replays throughout games, but for live action, the main angle should be the ONLY angle we see. Stop messing around.

Secondly, I also find that SN is awful at picking replay angles for goals compared to other broadcasters. Jet's fans last week who had to watch the Canucks feed were complaining (righfully so) about the bad production value that Sportsnet brought for the viewers.

I want to know what you guys think about,

1. The angle changes during play

2. The overall production of Canucks games by Sportsnet

Obviously they aren't perfect but I think they do a okay job with the exception of their over coverage of the leafs.

For hockey central even during the intermission of a canucks game whenever they talk about the leafs they all get so passionate and can talk for 10-20 min easy. When they talk about us or the other Canadian teams they seem disinterested and have trouble talking more than three or four minutes about them.

i hate that the Sunday games are on city tv when they could easily be on one of the sportsnet channels....i dont get city tv in my area.

also bring back Don Taylor!!!

using the skycam during game play is not great either.

What happened to Don

I agree 100% with everything you said. I hate those gimmicky angles too. We're not at a cell phone convention checking out some new app, it's a hockey game, just show it.

Since it changed to Roger's it's gotten even worse. I used to love tuning into the warm up, hockey central with Valk and Taylor. Now it just sucks. They talk about the Canucks for 5 minutes, then the Leafs or someone for 20, and then repeat the 5 minutes again at 5 to the hour. Then when the game starts they repeat that 5 minutes again, pretty much word for word. It's absolutely nauseating.

Exactly!! It is obviously a waste of PP time to put that group out there so why not try something totally different? Horvat, Hansen, Kenins with Sbisa and Tanev. Loads of energy, speed and creativity along with good Defensive sense (Horvat, Hansen and Tanev). They can dig hard for pucks and have all shown decent hands and offensive upside. To be continually putting out a group that does nothing but struggle to get out of their own end while on the PP is an exercise in futility.

100% agree with you on using the SkyCam for live play by play. Not only is it nauseating physically, I literally start feeling dizzy. But like you said, you lose the puck, and the fore-shortened angle on players make them just odd shaped blobs. You never know who has the puck. I'm just waiting for it to end so I can enjoy the game once again. For an different shot on a replay fine, even though I don't get what new info you get out of it.

The traditional angles allows you to see stick work with the puck, skating ability etc. All that is lost. Its like being forced to watch in the nose bleeds without the live experience.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that I do like the behind the net shots when they are on the PP for brief moments.

But I fear that they just spent a ton of money on this new camera and all the rigamarole that suspends it, so we are going to be force fed it now whether we like it or not.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that I do like the behind the net shots when they are on the PP for brief moments.

We're actually on the same page here I believe. I don't mind the behind the net cam just so long as it is in brief moments, like <10 seconds. I should have taken the time to word that a little better.

The Sky Cam is absolute garbage. If anything, the constant Sky Cam uses would deter people from buying that Rogers crap because it's a gimmick and makes it look like you're sitting in the roof. They are trying to be innovative but that camera angle is a step backward because it's even further from the ice than the normal broadcast camera.

Rogers has already made it clear the Canucks are an after thought ever since they got rid of Don Taylor and started showing Mark Messier's bald head and creepy grin every 30 seconds. At least they could stop ruining the games by showing a satellite view of the ice.

Taylor was probably given 1 of 2 choices. Quit TSN 1040, or stay on with Rogers. Taylor obviously chose TSN because it was 2-6, and on days where the game starts earlier he gets a shorter shift. Had TSN not bought out 1040 and was still independent he might still be on the air on Sportsnet. I really am not impressed with the Sportsnet/CBC arrangement. I think the NHL was stupid to let one network pretty much control hockey in Canada. Since both networks are based out of Toronto we still get the same bias.

I do miss after hours on CBC, as a lot of others do. What I don't get is why they got rid of it? Does George S. need to work later get his money's worth?

The skycam is a gimmick just like in the NFL, and does really nothing for coverage. I do like the end board angle on the power plays, because you get to see sort of what the goalie sees.

Archived