The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Production Crew

Crackers

I agree the sky cam during live action sucks. I was also irritated with the following of bieska while the goal was scored and I dislike the same people on there panel as when the Cbc was in control. Eastern media homers.

When I'm watching a game in my home I want Vancouver homerizm (John and John) I don't want to listen to to guys talk about Toronto Or mtl when vancouvers playing Dallas. That's u Healy and galley.

All that said I still am glad that CBc isn't the network in control of Saturday nights. And overall I think they have done a decent job and have really made TSN irrelevant which is also good.

Meh.

I don't disagree that some of the Camera angles are awful and the intermission crews are not our local guys. But there's always something to complain about, and at the end of the day we're still getting a gazillion games a week to pick and choose from that not that long ago I would have given my left nut for.

Yeah it's confusing to keep on top of games, times and channels and yeah I don't like some of the cast broadcasting and doing the intermission stuff, but it's the first year of their 10-year deal and they have lots of time to work out the kinks. If not, for me these issues are just a small price to pay for getting to watch way more games than I'd ever imagined we'd get to see on channels not called NHL Centre Ice.

I do miss Donnie and ex-Canuck-turned-analyst Garry Valk a lot though for intermission and post game analysis. Valkie especially always told it like it was.

I never noticed this till you brought it up.

This is something they could easily change. All the cameras are recording, it's just a matter of the production staff deciding to use the traditional camera more. The thinking might be "we have to keep things interesting by changing the camera angle and using more graphics" Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

For everyone out of town and cannot watch all the games I highly recommend NHL Gamecenter Live. All the hockey you could ever watch and more.

I don't like that I don't get to watch Canucks games unless they're on Saturday nights, late April-mid June, or in Alberta or Toronto. Thanks, Messier.

Exactly this. Sportsnet has screwed canucks fans living outside of BC.

Ahhhhh............ the magic of TV. I actually don't mind the new viewing angles brought in to SN's NHL broadcasts. The vast majority of the game is viewed via the normal angle that we've all been accustomed to. As many have commented in this thread, I also prefer that angle.

I like it when they cut to the behind the net cam. Reminds me of the games I saw live at Roger's Arena when I had seats behind Lou.

I also like the sky cam. It's obviously a TV broadcast thing only and viewers, live or watching on TV, will never see something like that unless they can fly or sneak in a drone. God forbid! I sure hope SN isn't thinking about camera drones for live broadcasts. Anywho,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm fine with new broadcast technology to our game. So long as it doesn't take away from the body of the game.

Go Canucks Go!

:towel::towel::towel:

hate the skycam, hard to follow the play while it's swaying around making me dizzy.

another complaint is how they go out of their way to not film the fights... it's so frustrating when they zoom into the ice right beside where the fight is happening and wait to actually get a shot of it. They may be against fighting or whatever but they still need to respect the fact that it is still a part of our game and there are people that want to watch it.

I don't like that I don't get to watch Canucks games unless they're on Saturday nights, late April-mid June, or in Alberta or Toronto. Thanks, Messier.

Why? I'm confused by this statement as an out-of-market canucks fan who watches nearly every game.

Half of them are on TV, the other half are available through GameCenter or NHL Centre Ice or if you're too cheap for those, find a pirate stream. The only thing you can't do, in my opinion, is complain about it.

Agreed I hate the skycam it's used way to much on the powerplay and I also hate the behind the net cam. It really is a novelty. If people want those angles go on GCL but don't force it down everyone else's throats.

TSN actually started the behind-net cam way back in... I want to say the 2006 Olympics. In any event it's one of the best angles when the camera guy doesn't get too rambunctious and swings the camera left and right. The first few times it was weird, but then when you are lucky enough to see a good battle in front of the net and then maybe a nice shot that scores, you realize how much better your view was than the old sideways slider.

I hate the skycam though.

Exactly this. Sportsnet has screwed canucks fans living outside of BC.

As one of the "screwed" can you explain how please? I enjoy nearly all 'nucks games and could enjoy all of them, if I had the time.

More games are available this year on regular tv channels.

All games are still available through the other routes like gamecenter, centre ice or streams.

I don't mind the skycam as much as others in this thread.. I think when its used properly it can be a cool angle and adds a little different perspective.. What I dislike about it is their timing.. They use it at times that are less than ideal, and that's what annoys me most about it.

Truth be told though, the things that annoy me even more about the SN broadcasts are the stupid cutaways to the guy and the girl that they cut to and all they say to us is "more coverage after the game with us, so keep it locked here".. I find that crap EXTREMELY annoying.. Because they really don't say anything at all, and then just pass it to the other hockey panel right away anyway.. Wtf is the point of that? Just go right to the hockey panel, why do we need to see the first one?? So friggin dumb.. The whole pacing of that broadcast is just stupid imo

i hate that the Sunday games are on city tv when they could easily be on one of the sportsnet channels....i dont get city tv in my area.

also bring back Don Taylor!!!

using the skycam during game play is not great either.

City is the worst part of this new rogers regime. They absolutely ruin Sunday games for me.

Absolutely 0 canucks coverage. Talk about worthless crap the full time.

Rogers is horrible.

Taylor was probably given 1 of 2 choices. Quit TSN 1040, or stay on with Rogers. Taylor obviously chose TSN because it was 2-6, and on days where the game starts earlier he gets a shorter shift. Had TSN not bought out 1040 and was still independent he might still be on the air on Sportsnet. I really am not impressed with the Sportsnet/CBC arrangement. I think the NHL was stupid to let one network pretty much control hockey in Canada. Since both networks are based out of Toronto we still get the same bias.

I do miss after hours on CBC, as a lot of others do. What I don't get is why they got rid of it? Does George S. need to work later get his money's worth?

The skycam is a gimmick just like in the NFL, and does really nothing for coverage. I do like the end board angle on the power plays, because you get to see sort of what the goalie sees.

This, I miss after hours on CBC. Some of the most memorable hockey interviews I have watched come from that segment.

I am actually against the grain though on the skycam. I actually like the concept but I think they should make it like the Chicago one and make it follow the play faster and make it camafloge better into the background.

Look at kanes goal on Luongo in 2009 game 6. It's on Chicago's skycam and looks awesome.

I was watching the Bruins/Rangers game today and noticed a feature that I'd like to see in Sportsnet's broadcasts. They had a zone-timer, that displayed the amount of time a team was on the attack. I thought it was pretty cool!

Taylor was probably given 1 of 2 choices. Quit TSN 1040, or stay on with Rogers. Taylor obviously chose TSN because it was 2-6, and on days where the game starts earlier he gets a shorter shift. Had TSN not bought out 1040 and was still independent he might still be on the air on Sportsnet. I really am not impressed with the Sportsnet/CBC arrangement. I think the NHL was stupid to let one network pretty much control hockey in Canada. Since both networks are based out of Toronto we still get the same bias.

I do miss after hours on CBC, as a lot of others do. What I don't get is why they got rid of it? Does George S. need to work later get his money's worth?

The skycam is a gimmick just like in the NFL, and does really nothing for coverage. I do like the end board angle on the power plays, because you get to see sort of what the goalie sees.

Unfortunately, it wasn't Taylor having to make a choice. Sportsnet basically shut down the SNPacific branch after they won the NHL broadcast rights. I remember seeing an interview with Don where he said he was pretty happy about it anyways, he didn't get a lot of satisfaction out of talking about goings on in Leafland 3000 km's away instead of local sports interests.

How hard is it to come up with a decent broadcast? CBC is terrible and now everything owned by Rogers is tainted as well! Whenever there is a broadcast network that seems to do a good job it gets dismantled in favour of "amateur let's tick off the fans" production.

Archived