The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Psychology of being a Canucks fan...

bigbadcanucks

I just finished watching the 'hawks/Jets game and it was hands down, one of the most entertaining games I've watched this season. The 'hawks came back in the third with two goals to win the game...the Jets controlled territorial play and for all intents and purposes, should have won the game.

As I was watching the 'hawks close out the comeback, my thought was how well the 'hawks played in the third. The thought of the Jets collapsing or not playing well didn't enter my mind. In fact, I thought the Jets played very well in their loss.

I realized that when I watch the Canucks, I'm not nearly as objective about the play of the Canucks. I find myself being critical and expecting perfection from the Canucks. If I put the Canucks in the Jets spot in today's game, my reflex would have been to say the team collapsed because they were mentally and physically weak and ill prepared to finish out the game and would not have given the 'hawks any credit for what they brought to the game.

The other realization I had was that when I'm not emotionally invested in the outcome of the game, I can appreciate the game and all the great parts to the game that I'm unable to do when I watch my beloved Canucks.

So, is it just me, or are there others here who feel and think like I do when they watch Canucks games as opposed to games not involving the Canucks?

There's also a bias when you know a player's tendencies. So, if you see a turnover by a player you don't know as well, it is just one of those hockey plays. If you know they have a reputation of turn-overs, when you see basically the same play, it evokes a whole different response.

It's not just you. I expect a Canucks win, and I tend to casually curse when the other team scores while I am drinking my wine. And when the Canucks loose massive, more cursing starts, but casually, and then I put it behind me like it never happened, like god forbid, and think, well.. there's always Saturday. Sometimes when at a game, like the time when I was at the Kings vs Canucks back in January. I was for sure the Canucks would win, and those last 4 minutes... When the game ended, it didn't really register with me that the Kings won... I was like.. huh, and trying to put it together.

There's also a bias when you know a player's tendencies. So, if you see a turnover by a player you don't know as well, it is just one of those hockey plays. If you know they have a reputation of turn-overs, when you see basically the same play, it evokes a whole different response.

This.

Team doesn't have a whole lot of jump to their game. You see it in Jets/Hawks cause they have so much young talent filled of energy bouncing around. Same can't be said for the Canucks as they have an old team (2nd oldest in the league actually just infront of the Devils).

I'm happy with the direction of the team obviously but it comes down to this.

Psychology of being a canucks fan(on CDC): always 1.) blame the refs, 2.) if a player bodychecks one of our guys clean it's a dirty hit, if one of our guys crosschecks someone from behind into the boards it's clean, 3.) blame the refs, 4.) the sedins are better than crosby and malkin

1.) true because we do get the shorter end of calls for the majority. It's just the truth.

2.) no, that's completely false.

3.) true.

4.) sure thing there...

Psychology of being a canucks fan(on CDC): always blame the refs, if a player bodychecks one of our guys clean it's a dirty hit, if one of our guys crosschecks someone from behind into the boards it's clean, blame the refs, the sedins are better than crosby and malkin, blame the refs.

You should become a Psychologist.

It will always be that way. By that I mean, you care more about the Canucks winning then you did about Hawks or Jets winning. So for that particular game, your mindset (I'm just guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you don't care who wins.

It's like when the Canucks get knocked out of the playoffs, after that there are usually a few teams I will watch and prefer to win, but really I don't care all that much. Fans are always harder on their team then others, and like another poster said, when you don't know teams/players tendencies you can be more lenient if they make a mistake (ie turnover)

Some of the hardest on the team seem to be some of the newest to the game. The ones with a sense of entitlement who want instant gratification. The ones who pack it in at the first hint of adversity.

Anything worth having usually involves working for it. We've waited forever for a cup and some of us here for the long haul have learned how difficult that really is through that. There were times when we were REALLY bad so to hear people complain about a group of guys that's fairly talented and exciting to watch? Spoiled, that's all.

I watch a lot of hockey, not just Canucks. I love the game and all I ever ask of the team is that they show up and give it their all. At times in the recent past, they've coasted, but I understand why and am glad that they're being challenged a bit by some up and comers and have a renewed spark by way of that.

I can't imagine how tough a close, SC loss is to get over...the psychological hill to climb in that. Especially when it's a bit of a dirty deal...how do you bring yourself back up to that level of compete? Seemed to take a bit, but I feel they're getting there again. And that's good enough for me.

Some of these guys have been fairly battered and bruised and it does take a toll. I accept that they are declining a bit with age and welcome the transitional period with some new players who will come through the ranks. I think the team's doing it right by keeping the veterans in place for that.

I can't complain about this game at all...it's seen me through some really rough times and I've grown to lean on it. Love my hockey. This is my team, and I'm behind them 100%.

It will always be that way. By that I mean, you care more about the Canucks winning then you did about Hawks or Jets winning. So for that particular game, your mindset (I'm just guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong) is that you don't care who wins.

Not gunna lie, when the blackhawks scored 2 goals in 17 seconds to take the cup away from the Bruins on home ice i was cheering pretty loudly at that lol

Great thread.

My new roommate is from Winnipeg so I've watched a lot of Jets recently. Such an entertaining team. As long as they're not playing the Canucks I'll be cheering both in the playoffs. But yeah that was a tough loss to swallow - he's still stomping around cursing the linesman. Kinda took a bit of the sting off that icing call last night.

One thing though, both the Jets and the Hawks seemed to recognize that playoff hockey has already begun in the west. From puck drop it was war. Hopefully the nucks were watching tonight.

W(ake)TF up Vancouver.

It's way easier to " just enjoy a hockey game " when the team that you are emotionally invested in isn't playing, and it's also way easier to be objective when that "attachment" isn't there.

Just like you're not being hyper-critical, you're not screaming and cheering when a puck gets buried.

Also, I never get all pissed off and wound up at seemingly baffling and biased officiating, I tend to laugh at their incompetence as officials or genuinely believe "he just didn't see it".

Team doesn't have a whole lot of jump to their game. You see it in Jets/Hawks cause they have so much young talent filled of energy bouncing around. Same can't be said for the Canucks as they have an old team (2nd oldest in the league actually just infront of the Devils).

I'm happy with the direction of the team obviously but it comes down to this.

This we are old and slow.

Archived