The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks choose Henrik Sedin as candidate for Bill Masterton Trophy

-AJ-

VANCOUVER, B.C. – The Vancouver chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) announced today the nomination of Vancouver Canucks captain Henrik Sedin as the team’s candidate for the 2014.15 Bill Masterton Trophy, which is awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Sedin, 34, is nominated for being a consummate leader and a true example of what it means to be a role model for both younger and veteran players. The Ornskoldsvik, SWE native holds the Canucks franchise record iron man streak, playing in 679 consecutive games over a span of nine seasons. Since the streak ended on Jan. 21, 2014 he has missed only eight games due to injury and has now played in 81 straight games, including all 76 games of the 2014.15 season.

In his 14th NHL season, Sedin ranks tied for 17th in NHL scoring (17-49-66) and fifth in League assists. Sedin recorded 13 points (6-7-13) in eight straight games from February 16 – March 3, being named the NHL’s second star for the week ending February 22.

The Bill Masterton Trophy was first presented by the NHL Writers' Association in 1968 to commemorate the late Bill Masterton, a player with the Minnesota North Stars who exhibited to a high degree the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey and who died on January 15, 1968.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=760754

What do you guys think? Good nomination? What are his chances at winning the actual award?

Interesting. I always thought the award was generally given to those who've overcome adversity such as major injuries (Manny Malhotra comes to mind) to play again rather than overcoming a bad season. Then again, fighting through and surviving a year of John Tortorella when he was played to the point of exhaustion to coming back the following season and being the oldest player in the top 20 of NHL scoring has to rank as a huge comeback and is probably worth an award of some type.

Interesting. I always thought the award was generally given to those who've overcome adversity such as major injuries (Manny Malhotra comes to mind) to play again rather than overcoming a bad season. Then again, fighting through and surviving a year of John Tortorella when he was played to the point of exhaustion to coming back the following season and being the oldest player in the top 20 of NHL scoring has to rank as a huge comeback and is probably worth an award of some type.

Each team submits a nominee so it's not always about who came back from the worst injury or personal tragedy but its pretty much become that.

Torts was right about one thing: the Sedins take a lot of crap that they frankly don't deserve. They're the oldest players in the top 20 in league scoring and they still don't get enough respect, especially from people in Vancouver (and I'm not just talking about people on CDC).

A lot of times, players who've played for a long time are nominated. I think either Jagr or Selanne were nominated in recent years.

As A role model on how to conduct oneself professionally and to use your standing as a pro athlete to contribute to the community, he should win.

As an ambassador for the game and example for youth of how to conduct oneself in public when faced with adversity (Benn/Seguin) he should win.

For showing good sportsmanship on-ice throughout his career, he should win.

Will he...not likely. Not a sexy enough choice.

Personifies a professional approach to his business. I don't see why not?

Mentally as well. Stays calm, even when they have big nights. He takes responsibility also & you never saw him blame Torterella either! And just when Lou was complaining nobody was giving him or the team enough credit (when we lost); Hank was saying we lost because they did not score enough. Which was on him and Danny. So they trained harder! Yup, I can see it.

Good luck Henrik.

(I would also like to see a guy like Dorsett nominated. What he does, at his size, to earn an NHL paycheque is inspiring!)

I would have picked Danny, having an excellent year this year after a number of years questioning his ability due to the Keith elbow to the head.

Excellent candidate. Probably should - but won't win.

I haven't looked around, but there are probably more qualified candidates considering the award's past winners.

Good selection...Hank and Daniel have withstood the test of time and has put up with a lot of disrespect from players and fans alike and persevered. Out of the collection of players on the current Canucks, Hank is as deserving of a Masterton nomination as anyone (if not more).

Couple of honorable mention candidates...Kassian, Vey and Kenins for having made it to the NHL level in spite of coming from single-parent families headed up their respective mothers. Not taking anything away from Hank (or Daniel), but I would think the road to the NHL would be extremely difficult for guys with family histories as Kass, Vey and Kenins.

I would have picked Danny, having an excellent year this year after a number of years questioning his ability due to the Keith elbow to the head.

I haven't looked around, but there are probably more qualified candidates considering the award's past winners.

"More qualified" from a headline/came back after getting cancer and leg amputated and replaced with bionic leg standpoint. Sure.

Archived