The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The next Canuck to score 50 goals

Tiger-Hearted

The next Canuck to score 50 goals  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With Alex Ovechkin scoring his 50th goal and being the first NHL player this season to hit the half-century mark, it got me thinking on who will be the next Canucks player to score 50 goals.

Sadly, the Canucks have had only two 50-goal scorers in their 44-season history, Russians Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny. Markus Naslund(48g) and Todd Bertuzzi(46g) both came close in 2003 and Tony Tanti(45g) almost became the very first 50-goal Canuck in 1984. Rick Vaive and Cam Neely were both drafted by Vancouver but their 50-goal years are, unfortunately, remembered in the enemy territories of Toronto and Boston, respectively.

While it's very difficult in today's NHL for star forwards to put up the kind of numbers that they should be putting up thanks to the league's obsession with defensive play instead of creativity plus the instigator rule that doesn't allow protecting the star players by their teammates, I have the hopeful belief that Linden, Benning and Desjardins will develop the kind of entertaining teams that we got to watch in the early 90s, the early 2000s with the West Coast Express, the late 2000s and early 2010s.

So, who will be the next 50-goal Canuck? Vrbata? A prospect like Shinkaruk or Virtanen? A free agent signing? Future draft pick? We shall see.

*EDIT* I also added Brock Boeser's name to the list. The Canucks' 2015 first round pick has a lot of NHL goal scoring potential

I'm going with Shinkaruk. He's been making very good progress down in Utica as a 20-year old rookie and it appears to be fully recovered from his hip surgery.

This is a guy who just loves scoring goals and with his speed and improved play without the puck, Shinks has the potential to score in both 5-on-5 and special teams situations.

No one.

The league has become so hard to score in. To compare, only Ovie has done it this year and looking at point scoring in general, it's hard for star players to even hit PPG like they used to years prior. I highly doubt any Canuck scores 50 for a while but it's doesn't really matter anyways. A team scoring by committee >>> relying on one guy to hit 50 and get a chunk of the goals for you. Just look at this years Canucks team, it's the perfect example.

A few of our prospects have 30-40 goal potential so that's promising as is. I wouldn't look too much into this tbh.

Archived