The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie resting the Sedins

*Buzzsaw*

Obviously the Sedins are down in the total time played per game.

And I think this is a combination of two things:

- Willie D wants to have the twins rested and fresh for the playoffs

- The Sedins, who were red hot at the beginning of March, are now starting to tire, WD can see this and knows this is the time to dial back.

It's a perfect example of the difference in coaching style between WD and Torts. When things started to go bad for the Canucks and the Sedins last year, Torts got on the twins backs and played them more and more to the point they were dragging their butts around the ice.

While things are obviously going much better for the Canucks and the Sedins this year... WD is smart enough to know 34 year old bodies can't do it for 82 games... and he is upping the ice time for all the other lines and reducing the Sedins time as we approach the playoffs. When the Sedins tail off in their production, as they have in the last 5-6 games, he dials back their ice time and balances the other line's time with theirs.

At the same time is also gives the younger guys like Bo the opportunity to polish their games even more and get more of a sense of responsibility.

And the Sedins are mature and smart enough to understand this is not an attack on them, but a good move for a better post season.

All part of WD's coaching style... the guy may not be very articulate in a press conference, but he understands players and has a great ability to sense their level of energy and when and when not to make demands.

Obviously the Sedins are down in the total time played per game.

And I think this is a combination of two things:

- Willie D wants to have the twins rested and fresh for the playoffs

- The Sedins, who were red hot at the beginning of March, are now starting to tire, WD can see this and knows this is the time to dial back.

It's a perfect example of the difference in coaching style between WD and Torts. When things started to go bad for the Canucks and the Sedins last year, Torts got on the twins backs and played them more and more to the point they were dragging their butts around the ice.

While things are obviously going much better for the Canucks and the Sedins this year... WD is smart enough to know 34 year old bodies can't do it for 82 games... and he is upping the ice time for all the other lines and reducing the Sedins time as we approach the playoffs. When the Sedins tail off in their production, as they have in the last 5-6 games, he dials back their ice time and balances the other line's time with theirs.

At the same time is also gives the younger guys like Bo the opportunity to polish their games even more and get more of a sense of responsibility.

And the Sedins are mature and smart enough to understand this is not an attack on them, but a good move for a better post season.

All part of WD's coaching style... the guy may not be very articulate in a press conference, but he understands players and has a great ability to sense their level of energy and when and when not to make demands.

Based on something specific or just speculation?

You taken a look at the ice time stats?

I actually have.

The Sedins have averaged less than 18 minutes in 26 games this year.

Typically these are games where the Canucks have a lot of penalties and the Twins don't kill, so... there's your answer.

I doubt he's "resting" the twins. That would only occur after we've locked a playoff spot up, if at all.

Look at the difference between the last four games and the Winnipeg game... which is more like the yearly average.

Preds

Daniel: 16:00

Henrik: 18:28

Blues

Daniel: 16:26

Henrik: 17:16

Stars

Daniel: 17:26

Henrik: 17:40

Avalanche

Henrik: 17:24

Jets

Daniel: 18:37

Henrik: 18:34

Look at the difference between the last four games and the Winnipeg game... which is more like the yearly average.

Preds

Henrik: 18:28

Blues

Daniel: 16:26

Henrik: 17:16

Stars

Daniel: 17:26

Henrik: 17:40

Avalanche

Henrik: 17:24

Jets

Daniel: 18:37

Henrik: 18:34

Again, not sure how to say this more simply. The Sedins do not kill penalties.

There are 24 other games this year where they have had 16-17 mins of ice time. This is the new normal for the twins.

I swear I saw Henrik taking a faceoff when the Preds had that 5 min pp. More than once too, and Daniel was on the ice as well. They are killing penalties, but the majority of them are killed by Bonino, Matthias, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Horvat and Dorsett.

I swear I saw Henrik taking a faceoff when the Preds had that 5 min pp. More than once too, and Daniel was on the ice as well. They are killing penalties, but the majority of them are killed by Bonino, Matthias, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Horvat and Dorsett.

Yeah they finished with over a minute of SH time I think. (Bonino had... 7 if I remember?) Did a good job that game, too.

As for the OP, I don't think they are being "rested" on purpose... More the effect of WD rolling 4 lines, as others have said.

Loving our depth this year, though.. 4 lines that can contribute bodes very well for our playoff chances. Sedins will contribute, but we need all hands on deck.

Semantics. Argue with the OP all folks want - WD is 'limiting' their ice-time. That much is undeniable. We can pretend to speak for WD's reasoning - whether it's to keep the Sedins fresher down the stretch run and hopefully the playoffs - or whether it's for more balance and utilizing that depth the team has - really, it's a combination of factors that all make integral sense.

Arguing the semantics of obvious - empirically - less ice time than last season is pretty pointless.

Again, not sure how to say this more simply. The Sedins do not kill penalties.

There are 24 other games this year where they have had 16-17 mins of ice time. This is the new normal for the twins.

And the bolded part would be the reason your argument is, ironically, quite stupid,

The 'new norm' would be the point the OP was making - an

"example of the difference in coaching style between WD and Torts."

Fact; the Sedins ice time has been reduced by more than 2 minutes a game this year. And that overall point really has nothing to do with the frequency with which the team takes penalties.

Your patronizing input is pointless and contradictory.

Semantics. Argue with the OP all folks want - WD is 'limiting' their ice-time. That much is undeniable. We can pretend to speak for WD's reasoning - whether it's to keep the Sedins fresher down the stretch run and hopefully the playoffs - or whether it's for more balance and utilizing that depth the team has - really, it's a combination of factors that all make integral sense.

Arguing the semantics of obvious - empirically - less ice time than last season is pretty pointless.

The numbers are there, but you are right in that we are speculating as to WD's thinking behind it (consciously keeping them fresh, rolling 4 lines, trying to avoid injury, hates them on the PK, old bet with Torts, ??).

And the bolded part would be the reason your argument is, ironically, quite stupid,

The 'new norm' would be the point the OP was making - an

"example of the difference in coaching style between WD and Torts."

Fact; the Sedins ice time has been reduced by more than 2 minutes a game this year. And that overall point really has nothing to do with the frequency with which the team takes penalties.

Your patronizing input is pointless and contradictory.

No, he is pointing out that in the last 4 games they have played less minutes than the rest of the year... and this is somehow different than the rest of the year. My point was that in 27 other games this year they have played similar ice time.

Archived