The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie resting the Sedins

*Buzzsaw*

Again, not sure how to say this more simply. The Sedins do not kill penalties.

There are 24 other games this year where they have had 16-17 mins of ice time. This is the new normal for the twins.

However, the new normal is actually the old normal as the Sedins won a couple of scoring races playing less and scoring more.

not quite sure why you sound so mad about it.

I wouldn't mind resting Bieksa,Hamhuis,Dorsett and The sedins once we are for sure in

I think Hamhuis really needs a rest - probably more than anyone. He played huge minutes throughout that stretch when the team was so short on the back end that he had more experience than the rest of the blueline combined. He played some great hockey through that stretch to keep the team in the race - which is what pisses me off about all the hating he is taking at this point. Not only does he look a little gassed, but he also got his bell rung pretty good in that bout with Vorachek. To me, he hasn't quite looked himself of late, but I suspect he's pushing through warrior-style because this team cannot afford a single lapse at this point.

I think Hamhuis really needs a rest - probably more than anyone. He played huge minutes throughout that stretch when the team was so short on the back end that he had more experience than the rest of the blueline combined. He played some great hockey through that stretch to keep the team in the race - which is what pisses me off about all the hating he is taking at this point. Not only does he look a little gassed, but he also got his bell rung pretty good in that bout with Vorachek. To me, he hasn't quite looked himself of late, but I suspect he's pushing through warrior-style because this team cannot afford a single lapse at this point.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind letting Stanton replace hamhuis for a game or two. Move Sbisa with weber and Stanton with Bieksa.

There are 24 other games this year where they have had 16-17 mins of ice time. This is the new normal for the twins.

Not to mention we have 4 lines that can actually play. When you have that there will be less time for the star players. Sedins had to play 20-25+ mins last year, because that's all we had.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if he has surgery in the off season.

Seems to me his groin is still hurt

WD is using Bo's line more and more to shut down other team's top lines. This will result in the Sedins having less ice time though they obviously do get head to head time with those lines as well.

WD is using his resources very masterfully. Hot lines get more ice time on any given night...rolls all four as much as possible...willing to put bottom 6 guys out in key situations and late in games. He is building a team where everyone contributes and feels important in their role. YOu can see how the guys are starting to really back each other and pull hard for each other.

Sedins, I am sure, are absolutely fine with being a key part of a cohesive team versus the guys expected to carry the entire load every night while other guys kill the clock.

I agree, he has pulled their ice time. He see's they have slowed somewhat in the last few games.They don't have the drive to the pucks and they are the only ones that have played all games this year. It also seems Henrik is playing hurt right now and just trying to play through it as he always does.

Good player read by one of the Jack Adams candidates with his 4 rolling lines.

Go Canucks!

It was plain to see from day one that WD was balancing icetime on all 4 lines far better than Torts. It was clear to after 20 games that Torts was gonna ride the Sedins until they gave out. Under the guise that he wasn't comfortable playing the other 3 lines as a new coach he was "learning their tendencies". The entire team is far better off under WD not saying he's the best coach we have ever had but he is certainly a huge improvement on Torts.

Yes, they do. The drop in their ice time this year is only about 10 seconds per game due to penalty kill, the rest of the drop being a drop in even strength and power play time.

They don't kill penalties a lot, averaging less than a minute per game, but they have had penalty kill time throughout the season. After 75 games Henrik had 60:08 of pk time and Daniel 54:07. Bonino leads Canuck forwards in pk time with 117:25 followed by Higgins 115:10, Hansen 92:27, Matthias 87:25, Richardson 82:32, McMillan 79:01,, Burrows 77:02.

It will be noted the difference in pk time between Bonino and Henrik is 47:17 after 75 games, or about 47 seconds a game.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=4v5&type=individual&teamid=29&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Last year Henrik totalled 67:57 in 70 games, Daniel 67:45 in 73 games, so there's been a small drop in pk time. For Henrik he's gone from 58 seconds per game last season to 48 seconds, a drop of 10 seconds a game. Henrik's 5 on 5 ice time averaged 14:50 per game last season, 13:33 this season. The twins total time on the power play is also less per game this year.

So, the drop in total ice time is related almost not at all to penalty kill time, which accounts for about 10 seconds per game lower ice time this season. It is mostly attributable to even strength ice time.

As for the main part of the thread, WD rolling 4 lines works out to be about the same thing as resting the top players more.

Totally agree... if there is any way to give him a game off before the playoffs, should be done.

His play is suffering, he was scating much better during the period when Bieksa, Edler and Tanev were hurt, but it was just too much ice time for him, I think he is burned out.

I wonder what Willie will do once/if we've clinched?

Twins will probably not sit out games, but I could see him just giving them 10 easy minutes of ice time to keep them fresh and involved. A good chunk of that would probably be on the PP, almost as in-game practice for the playoffs.

I'm really hoping that come the LA game we've already clinched, and that we can definitely sit some vets for that game. If we're in and they're out, that's the kind of team that would run our guys for the sheer joy of it.

Also, trying to find the latest on Miller? Checked the ice chips thread and couldn't find the latest... Ideally, having him start 2-3 of the final games would be perfect to get him into shape.

I'm pretty sure that if the third and fourth lines are more trustworthy (than last year) and getting more icetime because of it, the minutes have to come from somewhere.

(Though, for the amount of times we've sent out 6 or 7 skaters at once this year, that's got to be at least another 30 seconds <_< )

Archived