The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buff suspended 4 games

@NHLPlayerSafety:

Winnipeg's Dustin Byfuglien has been suspended four games for cross-checking NY Rangers' J.T. Miller. Video: http://t.co/oazYO5XIuq

Think this is the perfect amount. 4 was the bare minimum he should get and did regardless. More could've been added if Miller was injured which luckily he wasn't. Reckless play and shot the team in the foot. Huge piece gone with the Jets making a push to hold down a playoff spot.

Not enough in my opinion, if there as ever an intent to injure this was it. It's what I expected given the phone hearing, but I still don't completely agree with the number. If the number of games the Jets have left in the season played into it at all, the DOPS has sincerely lost it's way.

Ladd commented earlier how Buff had meant to hit his back, but even that's completely unnecessary considering Miller was defenceless on the ice and the puck was going the other way. This could have been much worse, and I would have been fine with a longer suspension for sure.

Ladd commented earlier how Buff had meant to hit his back, but even that's completely unnecessary considering Miller was defenceless on the ice and the puck was going the other way. This could have been much worse, and I would have been fine with a longer suspension for sure.

And Todd Bertuzzi meant to politely tap his buddy Steve on the shoulder and ask if he'd changed his mind on agreeing to a gentlemanly fight under the hockey code :bigblush:

On topic: I think 4 games was soft. May as well have just made it the last 5 Jets regular season games.

I think it's too much.

I'm not a buff fan nor a jets fan.

We've seen the league let guys get away with more.

Keith got 5 for a flying elbow to an unsuspecting D Sedin (a star in the league) which caused serious injury. He only got 5 games while Daniel missed the remainder of the season and pretty much the playoffs.

The league has factored injuries playoff race, etc when determining suspension in the past.

Fraser thought Taffoli avoided suspension as the playoff race was a factor.

This is a big screw job by the league on Winnipeg to get LA in.

I'm ok if 4 games is the norm for this kind of play but when they show inconsistency depending on which team and players are involved, it's complete bush league

My gut reaction is that it was disgusting, dangerous, and cowardly and deserves more than a little vacation before the playoffs. But, the time of the year shouldn't matter and a suspension is a suspension. Even still, I think this is the kind non-hockey play action that they should be making an example of people for.

Bad hockey plays are one thing, but using your stick as a weapon in such a dangerous way is another entirely. Given how deliberate this seemed and how incredibly dangerous it was, and given that he has the same history of being fined that Burrows had when he was given 3 games for a late and (accidentally) high hit resulting from actual hockey play, I would have been happier with 6 games.

Let's just hope there is never a need to use this suspension as precedent because no one else is dumb or mean enough to do that again!

I think it's too much.

I'm not a buff fan nor a jets fan.

We've seen the league let guys get away with more.

Keith got 5 for a flying elbow to an unsuspecting D Sedin (a star in the league) which caused serious injury. He only got 5 games while Daniel missed the remainder of the season and pretty much the playoffs.

The league has factored injuries playoff race, etc when determining suspension in the past.

Fraser thought Taffoli avoided suspension as the playoff race was a factor.

This is a big screw job by the league on Winnipeg to get LA in.

I'm ok if 4 games is the norm for this kind of play but when they show inconsistency depending on which team and players are involved, it's complete bush league

I don't always follow conspiracy theories.

But when I do I don't pay attention to bs

This makes for a convenient argument for the league helping LA, but that doesn't change the fact that Buff took a cheap shot that could have seriously injured someone. He put himself in the position to be dealt punishment. For a play that didn't need to occur, and didn't help his team whatsoever. This easily could have been more than 4 games.

Edit: Never attribute to conspiracy, the likes of which can be explained by incompetence.

I'm surprised they even gave him 4. I was expecting 2 games with a "time of the year" type of excuse.

This could be the most dangerous play since Shawn Thornton's suspension, and surely was deserving of more.

I said Buff was a terrible leader based on how he handled the Kane situation. I'm sure his teammates just love him now...

I don't want LA in the playoffs, but now I don't want the Jets in either since that would mean Buff is playing in games that IMO he shouldn't. Hoping one of those 2 miss.

Archived