The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks deserve a fan base like the Seahawks

fanfor42

After following this team since 1970 It is evident that the team's success on the ice is in every way, a reflection of the fans. The team responds to what the fans feel and need. No, not every game or in any small sample size. But over time, over a statistically valid sample, the Vancouver Canucks emulate the mood and feeling of their fans.

The Canuck fan base as a general comment is worried that the team isn't good enough. The fan base isn't strong enough. The average fan thinks the team isn't good enough. This isn't new. this is 45 years in the making.

You know, making the odd comment that "I support of the team" isn't enough to create a positive fan base of support. Not at all. It doesn't come close to counteracting the huge wave of negative input from fans every time the team falters.

45 years this team has been around. And you know what? They get hacked on by their own fans every time they lose a game. That is ridiculous. What are the young fans thinking? Do you not realize what it takes to win a championship? Every team goes through ups and downs. Every team that has been successful has had a core of fans that support them through thick and thin.

If the Canucks are going to win a championship it is the fan base that will create the atmosphere for winning conditions. The fans have got to stop bitching and complaining about every micro event. The fans need to start embracing the management and overall direction that the team is taking. If people get on board with Linden. If people get on board with Benning. If people get on board with Desjardins. If people get on board with the players. If people get on board with being a Canuck fan...then this team can reach success.

The ceiling for this team is set by the expectations that the players and management believe are set for them by the fan base. Period. That statement is true in every sport and for every team.

Just look down the highway to the Seahawks to see a great example of a fan base being behind their team and creating winning conditions. A championship and nearly a second one and who knows what else is to come.

The Canucks deserve that kind of fan base.

Agreed 100%.

Why does it seem so scary everytime we step into the madhouse? Because once they score and they fans start roaring, you can feel the ice tilt in the favour of the Hawks. It's no magical formula but this is the truth. Look at all the best clubs and teams around they world and they have a great nucleus of supportive fans. It goes a long ways and some of us haven't come to realize the power of it.

Not just fans, but media too. Nowadays media is always looking to create a buzz with controversial articles and etc on purpose but that's the reality of it. If we go off on a rant and down the team, the media will take it and run it to the ground. The players get rubbed negative energy and takes a tole on them. They're humans like us, not robots - they have emotions and feel things like how we do.

...one thing I love with the offseason moves is Willie/Trev/Jim are all humble guys and never stir any media attention like years past with Gillis. Helps a ton when the media is on a leash with things they can talk about. Just look at the lockerroom atmosphere this season: friendly x100. Is a positive when the team doesn't feel everything caving in on them and can go in relaxed doing their job.

I'm a diehard Seahawks fan, so don't take this as me ragging on them. But the Seahawks fanbase is overblown. Its the fashionable thing in Seattle to cheer for their team, action green is the "in" colour right now. Half of these "die hard" fans have no idea who Steve Largent or Walter Jones is.

I get really tired of hearing how awful the Canucks fanbase is. Go cheer for another team.

After following this team since 1970 It is evident that the team's success on the ice is in every way, a reflection of the fans. The team responds to what the fans feel and need. No, not every game or in any small sample size. But over time, over a statistically valid sample, the Vancouver Canucks emulate the mood and feeling of their fans.

The Canuck fan base as a general comment is worried that the team isn't good enough. The fan base isn't strong enough. The average fan thinks the team isn't good enough. This isn't new. this is 45 years in the making.

You know, making the odd comment that "I support of the team" isn't enough to create a positive fan base of support. Not at all. It doesn't come close to counteracting the huge wave of negative input from fans every time the team falters.

45 years this team has been around. And you know what? They get hacked on by their own fans every time they lose a game. That is ridiculous. What are the young fans thinking? Do you not realize what it takes to win a championship? Every team goes through ups and downs. Every team that has been successful has had a core of fans that support them through thick and thin.

If the Canucks are going to win a championship it is the fan base that will create the atmosphere for winning conditions. The fans have got to stop bitching and complaining about every micro event. The fans need to start embracing the management and overall direction that the team is taking. If people get on board with Linden. If people get on board with Benning. If people get on board with Desjardins. If people get on board with the players. If people get on board with being a Canuck fan...then this team can reach success.

The ceiling for this team is set by the expectations that the players and management believe are set for them by the fan base. Period. That statement is true in every sport and for every team.

Just look down the highway to the Seahawks to see a great example of a fan base being behind their team and creating winning conditions. A championship and nearly a second one and who knows what else is to come.

The team down the road plays football and has a lot of talent.arguably the most talent in the league..plus they play outdoors with 70k fans...called the 12th man..comparing the Seahawks to the Canucks is like nuts and oranges...I love my Canucks..as you say its been 45 years and I have been there for all of them..we have managed to make the final 3 times...we really have nothing to shout about other than loving our team and that doesnt change...I think many Canuck fans would love to see us win it all like the Seahawks did before they die...will it happen...not sure...but the comparison is weak considering.

So lets see if I understand the OP

The Canucks could ice a team full of crappy 3rd and 4th liners, low end dmen and minor league goaltending, but as long as we all back them 100% and cheer really really loud and never question anything the players or management do, we will win the cup?

Hmm, so much for drafting smart and good coaching and high end talent.

So lets see if I understand the OP

The Canucks could ice a team full of crappy 3rd and 4th liners, low end dmen and minor league goaltending, but as long as we all back them 100% and cheer really really loud and never question anything the players or management do, we will win the cup?

Hmm, so much for drafting smart and good coaching and high end talent.

If that were true the Leafs would have already won the cup.

Fan support is important, but so is good management.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Just another typical ignorant North American. Do you even know what "ultras" are?

Just keep living in your fantasy world where the most dedicated and loyal hardcore fans never criticize their team.

72873250.jpg

This is true loyalty.

Not so much the overall fanbase. Just the ones at the rink. If you notice in the playoffs a team goes down 2, the fans will loudly cheer them on and it goes a long way. If our fans would loudly cheer them on they would play better.

Fact is it makes the players feel important. It shows them they believe in them. If we go 2-0 and the rink goes quiet, the players will feed off that negative energy. If we cheer they will feed off the positive energy.

For a player/team, 18,000+ fans chanting your name, screaming, yelling, cheering is like a drug. The high you get from it is "ADRENALIN". That is why when a team is on the road, it is very important to get the 1st goal. You quiet the crowd and the players on the other team wont feed off the energy.

If only we cheered all season like we did in the 2011 playoffs. We would/could have been A LOT better (standings wise).

I dont think the "Fan Base" is bad, but the atmosphere at the rink hasnt been that good. Hopefully it will be different in the playoffs.

Us fans are always harping on these players to play a full 60. Now its time we all rallied behind our team and play our 60 minutes!!!! :towel:

We did have a fan base like Seattle, it was in 2011 when we had a championship team.

The only reason Seattle has had such a big crowd is because of there recent success. To be honest iv never heard of the 12th man since a couple years ago but I'm not much of an nfl fan.

Well I think the forum or radio shouldn't matter because fans have a right to voice their opinions. However, the games matter. Yes the fans need to be louder and more rowdy! They need uplift the team when they are down 2-0 and not sit there yawning and booing.I don't know the politics behind the security at Rogers Arena but it needs to change.

Look at Winnipeg Jet fans as an epitome of what rowdy and loud fans are like. Make Rogers Arena a place were visiting teams hate to play again.

Let's go back to memory lane. Remember the famous Turco chants? We need those type of fans back and we need creativity back from the fans. For example, chanting, booing, funny signs, etc. Seattle Seahawk fans are loud and rowdy; we just don't have that.

It's because most Vancouverites are unintelligent bandwagoners. They attend games because they can afford to and its the 'in' thing to do. Once we go into full rebuild mode there we'll be wishing we had the bitching and the critics.

When you have a small market team filled with a group of hardcore fans who can consistenty attend, you'll get best atmosphere.

If tickets were more affordable I'm sure you'd see a drastic culture change in the crowds attending games.

Archived