The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Are You A Canuck?

Bertorama

This is as straight forward as it gets.

I'll get this Forum going.

Ever since I was a kid I loved Steve Yzerman ( B.C. Boy ) and the CANUCKS. I grew up listening to Jim Houston on the radio call the game late at night on the radio when my parents thought I was sleeping. My team was Ronning, Linden, McLean, Bure. It was a golden time to be a Canucks fan but we didn't win it.

As it stands today. Nucks remind me of that old time team. Not the greatest of Talent but a lot of drive to give the team street cred and respect.

Why are you a Fan?

This is as straight forward as it gets.

I'll get this Forum going.

Ever since I was a kid I loved Steve Yzerman ( B.C. Boy ) and the CANUCKS. I grew up listening to Jim Houston on the radio call the game late at night on the radio when my parents thought I was sleeping. My team was Ronning, Linden, McLean, Bure. It was a golden time to be a Canucks fan but we didn't win it.

As it stands today. Nucks remind me of that old time team. Not the greatest of Talent but a lot of drive to give the team street cred and respect.

Why are you a Fan?

When I think of "that old time team" I go back a bit further, but I get where you're coming from. :)

regards,

G.

When I was young, I went through the natural process of finding a sport I like.

Football/Soccer had too few goals, Basketball had too many, and Hockey was justtt right.

So just like Goldilocks, I lied down on that bed and enjoyed it in all it's glory.

And even though bears interrupted me in 2011, I still enjoy that bed and I have that porridge every day!

Trevor Linden is the reason I was/am a Canuck fan. I was sort of a Dallas fan when i was a kid because i thought their logo was a sheriff star, and i wanted to be a cop. As soon as i learned they werent cops, I was a full fledged canuck fan, and ive never looked back. I also don't want to be a cop anymore, it was one of those phases.

Back when I was in 5th grade it was the year after the lockout in 04-05, I didn't follow hockey. We had a student teacher that year who was a huge fan. She had show and tell where she showed us all her memoribilia, and she even put a poster of the schedule on the wall of our cloakroom. As I gt interested in the way she deScribed the team I began looking at the schedule and seeing when the games were. To get acquainted with the team I read the Sun and the canucks website. I heard of player like Daniel and Henrik, my dad told me about this new player we got named Anson Carter. I had gone to a game with my dad before becoming a fan prior to the lockout and my dad telling me about player such as Naslund, Ohlund, Jovonovski, Bertuzzi, Salo l, Linden and Morrison. As the season rolled around I discovered the West Coast Express, the beginning of the Sedins evolution into stars and Kesler's role as a grinder. Some notable memories from my first season as a canucks fan in 05-06 include Anson Carters 33 Goals, Burrows debut and goal on the penalty shot and how he instantly beecame my favourite player, Auld's great play and how excited I was when the Canucks won the final game of the season after a last minute tying goal (I think by either Morrison or Carter) and how excited I was eventhough we were elimintated from

Playoff contention long before.

After we lost in the finals the passion began to dwindle although I continued to watch almost every game. Last year the passion as a canucks fan hit its low as there was nothing to be excited about. This years team has not only reignited that passion but the nervousness during games has returned which makes watching this team so enjoyable, no one wants something tnat isn't worth it. Thats why tomorrow's game

Is going to be not only scary as hell but the most exciting game this team has played in a couple years.

Go Canucks Go!

I always think that a person should cheer for their home team, regardless. I hate having a buddy who likes to cheer for like Chicago, Pittsburgh etc. Makes no sense to me

In some cases I understand not cheering for the home team.

Back in the day the Canucks didn't have a team in the NHL, so people used to cheer for the Leafs or maybe the Rangers. They were teams which sent most of the talent here (prospects, etc).

Montreal had a pretty good following, just because they were freaking amazing.

Boston, Chicago and Detroit followers seemed to cheer for one of those teams mostly because of specific players rather than liking the franchise, and since many star players spent their entire career with one team then perhaps it became habit forming to continue to cheer for that particular team.

I suspect a lot of the non-Canuck support in today's fans is in this category. Some folks like particular players, and when that player is no longer is on the roster of that team then their support will waiver.

regards,

G.

I actually used to be a habs fan until i was about 8 years old. Being from eastern Canada (maritimes), most people are habs, leafs, or bruin fans. I do watch the habs in the playoffs but i do not follow them game by game like i do the Canucks.

I dont really care if they win now unless its against the Bruins or Leafs. Its kind of funny in a way, Canadiens and Canucks both have big rivalries with the Bruins and Leafs. Also both are the top canadian team in their respective conferences. Also both have olympic netminders in nets. It has been this way for years. Other than a SC, there is nothing more i could ask for from these 2 teams. They are always exiting to watch in the playoffs.

I am 100% pure Canuck now. The reason i switched was because everyone liked the leafs, habs, or bruins, and i wanted to cheer for a new team. So being Canadians fan i would not cheer for the leafs or Senators. I watched a flames/canucks hnic and Bertuzzi instantly became my favourite player. I was a canuck ever since.

I've always like the habs. But since Koivu and Theadore left i only ever follow them come playoff time. Atleast they saved me from a very long ofseason last year. Oh and if u dont believe im a 100% loyal Canucks fan, I actually cheered for the Rangers in the 3rd round last year. Want to know why? Because i want us to be the team to break the Canadian curse!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

2015 CHAMPS :towel:

I started picking up hockey during the early 2000's. For some reason I decided to cheer for the Canucks because they always got crushed by the Avalanche. I remember the entire Avs roster top to bottom and I always used to cheer for the Canucks just because I wanted them to finally win! I also remember having a specific hatred for Adam Foote. Not very special but it's what I remember.

I just wanted them to not suck. :)

I've seen a thread like this before, but it's been a while, so I'll bite.

I was born and raise in the Lower Mainland of beautiful BC, so it's largely a result of location. My dad (who is more of a CFL fan than hockey fan, actually) was watching a hockey game around 2000 or 2001 and soon after, I was captivated. My passion for the sport and the Canucks has definitely been a gradual thing. I think about how much I knew of the Canucks before the lockout and it really pales in comparison to today.

I always think that a person should cheer for their home team, regardless. I hate having a buddy who likes to cheer for like Chicago, Pittsburgh etc. Makes no sense to me

Tell that to a person in Edmonton or Toronto LOL

Archived