The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kings sit Quick in the most important game of the season

I know you have won 2 Stanley Cups as a Head Coach, but could somebody please tell me how Daryl Sutter could possibly have sat Jonathan Quick???

I love Martin Jones (North Vancouver boy), but seriously? What are the ramifications of resting Quick besides missing the playoffs with this decision by the coaching staff? Players like Jeff Carter are already pissed that Mike Richards was sent to the minors. With the sitting of Quick, could there be a mutiny in the near future? Especially if they miss the playoffs.

I'm not an Oilers fan, but talk about a slap in the face that the Kings thought it was an easy 2 points and played their backup. Way to go Oilers!!!!

Thanks from the Canucks, Jets, and Flames.

Wow!

Quick had a huge game against the Canucks the night before, faced a lot of shots and went to a shootout...Oilers are one of the worst teams in the league and the Kings have to play Calgary tomorrow night...I don't know, it kinda makers a lot of sense to give Quick a breather so he's in top form against the tougher opponents...plus for LA's playoff hopes the Calgary game is more important.

He'll have all summer to rest

::D

I don't think he was looking to start Quick for what I think was a 16th straight game? Back to back too.

It was the right call, just didn't work out.

Understandable to an extent but might as well play him out. They only played him 16 in a row because they were in the playoff hunt and needed to string as many W's as they could to have a chance. They did that, had a chance, and blew it away by not playing Quick imo.

I don't think it matters. It's not like Jones is a bad goaltender.

It does matter. Start Quick and automatically your odds of winning increase tenfold. And against the Oilers, that would've been pretty much a guaranteed win.

It was Edmonton. LA should have enough skill to beat them with an empty net. It was definitely reasonable to think the rested goalie would likely give them a better chance than a tired Quick.

Anyway, who cares? They took part of the season off again and deserve the fate they got instead of getting helped into the playoffs like last season. And now all of f'ing commentators can stop going on and on and on about how tired they are from all of that extra hockey they've played the last few years because they'll get a full summer to rest up.

tomorrows LA vs Calgary game is the most important game of the year now. They probably were resting quick for this one and underestimating edmonton so used the backup there. Which isnt surprising because most teams underestimate edmonton and its hard to take them seriously when they just lost 8-1 or around there a week ago to LA

If both calgary and winnipeg lose their next game, then LA will make the playoffs(unless they lose to SJ)and the only question will be which one of calgary and winnipeg misses out.

Does anybody realize they are not out of the playoffs yet?

If The Kings win 2 games and CGY lose 2 games they can finish 3rd in the Pacific and play us

CCFQIz2W0AA8m2W.jpg

I think most people realize it but Calgary is likely to bring it on Thursday. It's pretty easy to imagine the Flames giving them a run for their money as they haven't been soundly thrashed in months it seems. They also probably know that it should be just as easy as playing the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday so the LA game is their chance.

I will say that Drew Doughty was impressive tonight, and it's obvious to me why LA has two Cups in three seasons when they have a defenseman like Doughty in their lineup. He's the best defenseman in the league IMO. If I had first pick for a Stanley Cup dream team draft, he's the first person I would take. He's nothing short of absolutely amazing.

foam-at-the-mouth.jpg

Does anybody realize they are not out of the playoffs yet?

If The Kings win 2 games and CGY lose 2 games they can finish 3rd in the Pacific and play us

CCFQIz2W0AA8m2W.jpg

After shutouts of great teams on back to backs I like the Jets chances of clinching in Colorado tomorrow which would mean they're resting players against Calgary. So even if LA wins clean over Calgary they're still in big trouble. You know San Jose would love nothing more than to be the team to eliminate the Kings after they got reverse swept last year.

Daryl sutter isn't that good of a coach, everyone thinks he some sort of genious but in reality he's not. When he coached the flames he didn't do anything their and got lucky with a really good kings team. Not to mention he did terrible when he coached the SJ sharks.

Nonsense...he's a great coach (a mediocre GM mind you)...He's been to the finals three times,and won the cup twice....You don't fluke your way into those results....Unfortunately,no one ever wants to give credit to coaches,when credit is due.....AV also didn't get the respect he deserved,until now...IMO.

tomorrows LA vs Calgary game is the most important game of the year now. They probably were resting quick for this one and underestimating edmonton so used the backup there. Which isnt surprising because most teams underestimate edmonton and its hard to take them seriously when they just lost 8-1 or around there a week ago to LA

If both calgary and winnipeg lose their next game, then LA will make the playoffs(unless they lose to SJ)and the only question will be which one of calgary and winnipeg misses out.

All Calgary has to do for the remainder of the year is to at least get a point in their game against LA and Winnipeg. Even if LA wins out the rest of their games, Calgary will be in 3rd in the Pacific due to more ROW and it would be Winnipeg that's out if they lose to Colorado in regulation.

You can have drew poughty, I'll take shae weber thanks.

I would take them both however, if i could only have one, i would take Doughty. Much more versatile and faster player. Nothing against Weber, he is a fine player but if given the choice, he would be my second pick of the two

Archived