The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning & Trevor Linden interviews on TSN1040

TheRussianRocket.

For those of you that didn't catch Jim yesterday or Trev today, here's an overview of what was talked about :)

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-canucks-confident-as-playoffs-approach-1.250430

Benning Interview Summary:

-

doesn't know why the team starts off slow in the 1st period and then comes out "like gangbusters" and pick it up in the 2nd and 3rd. Coaches and players are aware of it but for whatever reason can't get out of that pattern.

- team has been able to win big games this year against playoffs teams from all the big games they've played over the years. Team knows how to approach these games and what it takes to come out with a W.

- in disbelief with the plays the Sedins make. It's a 6th sense they have and until you're around them on a daily basis do you get to appreciate it. They just make plays, don't need to look up to see the other, and the other comes onto the puck at the perfect time. Having worked in the East before not being able to catch them much, seeing them now is special.

- when the Sedin line and Higgy/Bones/Vrby line isn't on the ice, with the team's bottom 2 lines, hopes they can wear out opposing teams and play physical. In doing so, takes the pressure off the top 6 for them to just go out and play. Truly believe this team has a 4 line team.

- Ryan Miller is day to day and would be nice for him to get a game before the playoffs. With the playoffs starting soon, will not talk much about injuries.

- Lack and Miller have both done their share in helping the team and it'll be nice having both healthy heading into the playoffs.

- on Baertschi, lightly said he had a great first shift setting up Bo and Bo fanning on the chance. Says Sven will be a good player for us. His speed and ability to handle the puck at high speed is a special trait he owns. Will be careful the way they develop him because they're sure they have a real special player in Baertschi going forward.

- talking about the farm team and other prospects that have impressed, was impressed by Conacher, Shinkaruk - gotten stronger and skating has gotten better, Gaunce - playing a heavy and hard game, defense was impressive in Corrado, Clendening, Biega, Pedan, Hutton - who Jim believes will turn out to be a good player for us. Was nice to see they have strength in numbers on defense for a game he caught in Utica last week.

- at the beginning of the year when the team said they wanted to be playoff contenders and develop young players, they meant that and it's shown up till now. Is happy with everything and players have bought into the system.

- Vrbata has blown JB away. He's exceeded expectations and has done everything + more. Same as Dorsett. Feels all the moves made have worked out well.

- glad with the work Vey has done filling in for injured Richardson. If it wasn't for Vey, they'd have a young centre from Utica filling in. Says Vey has inconsistencies in his game but is learning and he's a good kid.

- prefers Matthias on the wing b/c he gives speed and size, can forecheck, recover pucks and can drive the play to the net.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-satisfying-to-be-back-in-playoffs-1.251112

Linden Interview Summary:

-

Dank and Hank working their magic against LA was amazing. Says the best part was them 2 entering the Kings zone. Was 2 on 5, and usually players dump it with those numbers and hope for a teammate to retrieve the puck but they entered in and took control.

- on tomorrow being the 1 year anniversary of Trev being hired as the organizations President going out hiring a rookie GM, firing Torts, hiring a rookie head coach etc: gone by quickly. First 3 months were crazy. Having a plan was the first step and bringing in Jim shaped the direction of the franchise. Praises Jim's vision around the Kesler trade, the Garrison move, Miller, Dorsett / all the transactions. Says Willie has done a great job and recaptured Burrows, Edler, Twins, Hansen who were kind of lost last year. The goal has been accomplished (playoffs) and now it's just about making some noise. It's just year 1 of the plan and they have lots of work to do down the road.

- says the team has worked very hard to make it worthwhile for fans. From taking in feedback, to making the experience as fun as possible, as enjoyable as can be. Feels more pressure from the fans than anyone and having lived in Vancouver for so long now, he knows how much the people here care and want to win. They want to be a playoff team: as Jim has said, the easy way is to strip it down, blow it up, and start over drafting top 5 every year - they won't do that (blow it up and start from scratch). Will continue to build this team and be a playoff contender every year.

- talking about how competitive the West is. Even the non playoff teams, the Stars/Sharks/Avs, they're all great teams and it shows how tough it is to get a spot for the playoffs.

- Miller returning joining the team in Winnipeg was nothing more than to get him back with the team and used to the feeling of being with the guys. Miller had yesterday off, will skate today with the team, practice tomorrow, practice Friday, re-access, "Saturday most likely" to get him into game action and prepare for the playoffs. That is the plan but depends all on how Miller is feeling and if the plan goes as scheduled barring any setbacks.

- on who starts in the playoffs: it's for Willie to decide but "all I can say is Eddie's been terrific". He's grown mentally as a goaltender and physically improved his game. A leader in the team, through the adversity and pressure on his shoulders, he's backed it up and been great.

- on who from the front office should get most credit for the team's success, Trev put aside the "I" and talked about "we". Says they operate as a team. Thinks of Jim, Willie, assistant coaches, Rollie, Smyl, Gilman - a real team effort. Can't do it with one or two guys and like the actual team, they've done the same as a management group. Says they wanted the team to be a 4 line team and likewise, they're a 4 line team in the office as well. Contributions have come from everyone and the alignment on the team's goals and vision sits well with everyone.

- biggest strength in this team is they believe in what they're doing and with the guys they have that they can compete with anyone. Believe in their goaltending, know they can defend, know they can score. And it's not solely based off of production from 1 or 2 guys; it's a balanced attack and Willie has done a great job implementing that in the group.

- flashback to '94 game 7 loss to the Rangers, says it'll be just as satisfying winning the Cup now in the front office as it was as a player. Knows because talking to Cam Neely, Cam said the same thing and you can see it in the passion Trev has, the same one he had when he was once the ice.

- no better time of year than playoff hockey in Spring time in Vancouver. "Let the tournament begin!"

- in disbelief with the plays the Sedins make. It's a 6th sense they have and until you're around them on a daily basis do you get to appreciate it. They just make plays, don't need to look up to see the other, and the other comes onto the puck at the perfect time. Having worked in the East before not being able to catch them much, seeing them now is special.

I remember when us fans were like that on every play, now we just expect it at times and it's like "meh".... won't truly appreciate the Sedins until they're gone :(

thanks for summary. After the canucks lost to the bruins in the cup final, I wasn't interested as much in hockey. I probably watched 2 games a year on TV. But since they brought Linden in and more youth, it's exciting again to watch. I'm back to being a die hard fan and can't wait for the playoffs to begin.

thanks for summary. After the canucks lost to the bruins in the cup final, I wasn't interested as much in hockey. I probably watched 2 games a year on TV. But since they brought Linden in and more youth, it's exciting again to watch. I'm back to being a die hard fan and can't wait for the playoffs to begin.

I was always excited after 2011 ... and before that... losing or not! go canucks go!

For those of you that didn't catch Jim yesterday or Trev today, here's an overview of what was talked about :)

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-canucks-confident-as-playoffs-approach-1.250430

Benning Interview Summary:

-

doesn't know why the team starts off slow in the 1st period and then comes out "like gangbusters" and pick it up in the 2nd and 3rd. Coaches and players are aware of it but for whatever reason can't get out of that pattern.

- team has been able to win big games this year against playoffs teams from all the big games they've played over the years. Team knows how to approach these games and what it takes to come out with a W.

- when the Sedin line and Higgy/Bones/Vrby line isn't on the ice, with the team's bottom 2 lines, hopes they can wear out opposing teams and play physical. In doing so, takes the pressure off the top 6 for them to just go out and play. Truly believe this team has a 4 line team.

- Ryan Miller is day to day and would be nice for him to get a game before the playoffs. With the playoffs starting soon, will not talk much about injuries.

- Lack and Miller have both done their share in helping the team and it'll be nice having both healthy heading into the playoffs.

- on Baertschi, lightly said he had a great first shift setting up Bo and Bo fanning on the chance. Says Sven will be a good player for us. His speed and ability to handle the puck at high speed is a special trait he owns. Will be careful the way they develop him because they're sure they have a real special player in Baertschi going forward.

- talking about the farm team and other prospects that have impressed, was impressed by Conacher, Shinkaruk - gotten stronger and skating has gotten better, Gaunce - playing a heavy and hard game, defense was impressive in Corrado, Clendening, Biega, Pedan, Hutton - who Jim believes will turn out to be a good player for us. Was nice to see they have strength in numbers on defense for a game he caught in Utica last week.

- at the beginning of the year when the team said they wanted to be playoff contenders and develop young players, they meant that and it's shown up till now. Is happy with everything and players have bought into the system.

- Vrbata has blown JB away. He's exceeded expectations and has done everything + more. Same as Dorsett. Feels all the moves made have worked out well.

- glad with the work Vey has done filling in for injured Richardson. If it wasn't for Vey, they'd have a young centre from Utica filling in. Says Vey has inconsistencies in his game but is learning and he's a good kid.

- prefers Matthias on the wing b/c he gives speed and size, can forecheck, recover pucks and can drive the play to the net.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-satisfying-to-be-back-in-playoffs-1.251112

-

Dank and Hank working their magic against LA was amazing. Says the best part was them 2 entering the Kings zone. Was 2 on 5, and usually players dump it with those numbers and hope for a teammate to retrieve the puck but they entered in and took control.

- on tomorrow being the 1 year anniversary of Trev being hired as the organizations President going out hiring a rookie GM, firing Torts, hiring a rookie head coach etc: gone by quickly. First 3 months were crazy. Having a plan was the first step and bringing in Jim shaped the direction of the franchise. Praises Jim's vision around the Kesler trade, the Garrison move, Miller, Dorsett / all the transactions. Says Willie has done a great job and recaptured Burrows, Edler, Twins, Hansen who were kind of lost last year. The goal has been accomplished (playoffs) and now it's just about making some noise. It's just year 1 of the plan and they have lots of work to do down the road.

- says the team has worked very hard to make it worthwhile for fans. From taking in feedback, to making the experience as fun as possible, as enjoyable as can be. Feels more pressure from the fans than anyone and having lived in Vancouver for so long now, he knows how much the people here care and want to win. They want to be a playoff team: as Jim has said, the easy way is to strip it down, blow it up, and start over drafting top 5 every year - they won't do that (blow it up and start from scratch). Will continue to build this team and be a playoff contender every year.

- talking about how competitive the West is. Even the non playoff teams, the Stars/Sharks/Avs, they're all great teams and it shows how tough it is to get a spot for the playoffs.

- Miller returning joining the team in Winnipeg was nothing more than to get him back with the team and used to the feeling of being with the guys. Miller had yesterday off, will skate today with the team, practice tomorrow, practice Friday, re-access, "Saturday most likely" to get him into game action and prepare for the playoffs. That is the plan but depends all on how Miller is feeling and if the plan goes as scheduled barring any setbacks.

- on who starts in the playoffs: it's for Willie to decide but "all I can say is Eddie's been terrific". He's grown mentally as a goaltender and physically improved his game. A leader in the team, through the adversity and pressure on his shoulders, he's backed it up and been great.

- on who from the front office should get most credit for the team's success, Trev put aside the "I" and talked about "we". Says they operate as a team. Thinks of Jim, Willie, assistant coaches, Rollie, Smyl, Gilman - a real team effort. Can't do it with one or two guys and like the actual team, they've done the same as a management group. Says they wanted the team to be a 4 line team and likewise, they're a 4 line team in the office as well. Contributions have come from everyone and the alignment on the team's goals and vision sits well with everyone.

- biggest strength in this team is they believe in what they're doing and with the guys they have that they can compete with anyone. Believe in their goaltending, know they can defend, know they can score. And it's not solely based off of production from 1 or 2 guys; it's a balanced attack and Willie has done a great job implementing that in the group.

- flashback to '94 game 7 loss to the Rangers, says it'll be just as satisfying winning the Cup now in the front office as it was as a player. Knows because talking to Cam Neely, Cam said the same thing and you can see it in the passion Trev has, the same one he had when he was once the ice.

- no better time of year than playoff hockey in Spring time in Vancouver. "Let the tournament begin!"

ok i understand why the canucks come off slowly... they are still trying to feel the other team out and get the momentum going..

I remember when us fans were like that on every play, now we just expect it at times and it's like "meh".... won't truly appreciate the Sedins until they're gone :(

That's so true, unfortunately.

But I for one am not going to dwell, just enjoy what I've been seeing while it lasts.

As for the interviews, I can't help but be impressed every time I hear any of the front office people speak. They've turned everything around this year, and if a 4-line team is working on ice, and it's really a 4-line team in the front office as well, then to me that's a sign of many more good things to come.

Happy workers are productive workers. And that's great news for fans.

Guest Dasein

That's actually so true - I mean, who the hell enters the zone with control 2 on 5 and scores a goal??

I'm going to miss them when they go - let's appreciate what we have before they hang them up

That's so true, unfortunately.

But I for one am not going to dwell, just enjoy what I've been seeing while it lasts.

As for the interviews, I can't help but be impressed every time I hear any of the front office people speak. They've turned everything around this year, and if a 4-line team is working on ice, and it's really a 4-line team in the front office as well, then to me that's a sign of many more good things to come.

Happy workers are productive workers. And that's great news for fans.

Staff morale does wonders ! So excited for our Canucks for many years to come. The new (and some old) staff and players managed to resurface a half sunken ship and I couldn't be more happy about that :) Go Canucks Go !!!

Great interviews. Thanks.

Both Benning and Trevor seems pretty pleased with the role Kenins has played and Trev said some pretty impressive things about Eddie. He's right that the pressure for this team's post-season has rested squarely on Lack's shoulders and he has been solid down the stretch.

Lack may not be the most technically sound goalie in the league but for Vrbata to comment that after a whole season of shooting on him, he still hasn't figured him out, is quite telling.

Don't think that is true considering we have Matthais playing wing and has played centre. But I guess he has to over blow Vey's effect on the team.

I think it shows the confidence management has with Vey. It is up to Vey to make the most of the opportunity JB and co. are giving him.

so in other words your back on the bandwagon!

N7Nucks

Benning went on to say that the coaches prefer Matthias on the wing to centre. They like his speed and size on the forecheck.

For my money, Matthias is good off the rush in the middle but not much else. His face off stats are only 44.9% and he's not much of a playmaker either (only 9 assists). So to my eye, I agree with the coaches.

I like the fact that Benning and Linden have said that there is still so much work to do, even though we're about to clinch home ice in this years playoffs. They realize we can accomplish so much more. The future is so bright with then at the helm. :) I can't remember the last time Vancouver had such good prospect depth.

Archived