The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) bennings plan next yr

ok so benning locked up (tanev, sbisa, dorsett) we are at 66 mill in cap hit next yr leaving 4-7 mill to sign

vey, clendenning, stanton, corrado, kenins, baerchi, markstrom all players coming off the entry levels deals

plus rfa weber ufa mattias richardson

what do you guys think hes gonna do make a milllion trades at draft?

1. who does jim want on actual roster next yr he just traded for clendenning is he a part of dcorp moving forward ? or is he packaged?

2. what about jensen hes had a horrible yr in utica where kenins, gaunce, shinkaruk look like they have past him in depth despite being young

3. will baerchi steal veys spot hes a sniper plus vey isnt a center and doesnt have a 200ft game at all so soft

4. Will shinkaruk, pedan, gaunce, virtanen, cassels, mccann steal spots

5. will bieska or hamhuis be coming back

i have no clue what benning will do we have so many options does he want a team that wins faceoffs because we constantly lose possesion and kills game flow

Benning should watch players like Mathias, Richardson, Bieksa, Weber, Hansen, Burrows and Higgins closely in the play-offs. If these players make dumb plays or make bonehead decisions eg ( dumb penalties, failure to make the simple play under pressure, turnovers, etc) Then I hope Benning starts getting rid of some of those names above.

I rather have Griener, Jensen, Baerstchi, Free agent signing

We do have a lot of options and right now Benning could go just about any way. He's opened himself up to a lot of different trades depending on what he wants, and I don't think he'll settle with the current team. Some of the trades he's made (for Clendening and Baertschi) got rid of future talent 5+ years down the line for current and near-future talent, which are very good assets in that they're far more accomplished and hence tradeable to both current contending teams as well as rebuilding teams.

Benning has acquired assets to boost this team's depth at wing and on defence. We now have Baertschi, Vey, Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Kassian and Kenins right now fighting for roster spots next season and because there's so many of them, a couple of them are definately expendable.

The same can be said on defence, where we have Tanev, Bieksa, Corrado, Clendening, Weber and Subban all on the right side, and Edler, Hamhuis, Stanton and Sbisa on the left. The right side is a bit more stacked than our left right now though.

Personally, I believe Benning will and should try to trade some of our middle-of-the-pack talent (ie. Vey, Jensen etc.) and move up to get some more quality. We have a lot of great depth (quantity) but very little quality. By quality, I'm referring to future first line NHL players who can score 70-100 points in a season, or top pairing defencemen capable of 25+ minutes and scoring 40-50 points.

Plan:

1) At the draft, I think Benning is going to make some huge splashes to acquire a top-10 if not top-5 guy. He'll go all out, packaging our 1st rounder (20th-ish overall, nothing great) + a guy like Jensen + a guy like Clendening + a veteran roster player like Higgins + maybe even a later-round pick. I know how high Benning is on Virtanen and McCann, but if we need to trade McCann to acquire a true star center in Strome, Barzal or Marner, he should pull the trigger.

2) I believe strongly that Benning is going to try and cut the fat of this team and get rid of guys like Higgins, Richardson and maybe Burrows/Bieksa/Hamhuis in another season's time so that the kids can come up and play. Dorsett's signing worries me, but he may have done it to send a message that this team needs tough guys who can score and stick up for each other. Higgins and Burrows aren't really tough enough to complement their 40 point offence production, which is why I think we'll see JB try to move one of the vets to get a 2nd round pick back.

next yrs roster

sedin sedin kassian

baerchi bonino vrbata

virtanen horvat kenins

burrows dorsett

gaunce/shinkaruk callups in season

edler tanev

sbisa clendenning

corrado

lack

markstrom

leaves miller, vey, hansen, higgins, hamhuis, bieska, weber, richardson, mattias, stanton, jensen 11assets that could be traded or packaged their cap value this yr is 27mill we are short a left hand 3rd pairing d and a 4th line winning faceoff center

Benning should watch players like Mathias, Richardson, Bieksa, Weber, Hansen, Burrows and Higgins closely in the play-offs. If these players make dumb plays or make bonehead decisions eg ( dumb penalties, failure to make the simple play under pressure, turnovers, etc) Then I hope Benning starts getting rid of some of those names above.

I rather have Griener, Jensen, Baerstchi, Free agent signing

agreed we just gave a 2nd rounder for baerchi theres no way benning doesnt have him on team next yr but i think jensen will be traded shinkaruk and grenier and gaunce are younger and had better yrs

We do have a lot of options and right now Benning could go just about any way. He's opened himself up to a lot of different trades depending on what he wants, and I don't think he'll settle with the current team. Some of the trades he's made (for Clendening and Baertschi) got rid of future talent 5+ years down the line for current and near-future talent, which are very good assets in that they're far more accomplished and hence tradeable to both current contending teams as well as rebuilding teams.

Benning has acquired assets to boost this team's depth at wing and on defence. We now have Baertschi, Vey, Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Kassian and Kenins right now fighting for roster spots next season and because there's so many of them, a couple of them are definately expendable.

The same can be said on defence, where we have Tanev, Bieksa, Corrado, Clendening, Weber and Subban all on the right side, and Edler, Hamhuis, Stanton and Sbisa on the left. The right side is a bit more stacked than our left right now though.

Personally, I believe Benning will and should try to trade some of our middle-of-the-pack talent (ie. Vey, Jensen etc.) and move up to get some more quality. We have a lot of great depth (quantity) but very little quality. By quality, I'm referring to future first line NHL players who can score 70-100 points in a season, or top pairing defencemen capable of 25+ minutes and scoring 40-50 points.

Plan:

1) At the draft, I think Benning is going to make some huge splashes to acquire a top-10 if not top-5 guy. He'll go all out, packaging our 1st rounder (20th-ish overall, nothing great) + a guy like Jensen + a guy like Clendening + a veteran roster player like Higgins + maybe even a later-round pick. I know how high Benning is on Virtanen and McCann, but if we need to trade McCann to acquire a true star center in Strome, Barzal or Marner, he should pull the trigger.

2) I believe strongly that Benning is going to try and cut the fat of this team and get rid of guys like Higgins, Richardson and maybe Burrows/Bieksa/Hamhuis in another season's time so that the kids can come up and play. Dorsett's signing worries me, but he may have done it to send a message that this team needs tough guys who can score and stick up for each other. Higgins and Burrows aren't really tough enough to complement their 40 point offence production, which is why I think we'll see JB try to move one of the vets to get a 2nd round pick back.

theres so many moving parts is pretty crazy ehh i agree he will trim the fat but im wandering who hes gonna put on cutting block miller might be gone that would free 6mill and lack and markstrom can do the job at 2.5-2.7 combined

agreed we just gave a 2nd rounder for baerchi theres no way benning doesnt have him on team next yr but i think jensen will be traded shinkaruk and grenier and gaunce are younger and had better yrs

True but if Jensen can pop in 15 at the NHL level than he won't be bad for this team. Imagine two decent powerforwards who fit the mold of Benning's plan. Kassian and Jensen, just lower your expectations on Jensen, he can still be a decent 3rd liner; I hope they don't trade him.

It should be interesting with all the excess bodies. Should the Canucks & Comets both have strong PO's, it would presumably increase their demand, & potential returns.

Something like a 3 or 4 player package to Philly or NYI, where perhaps we throw in Higgy & Markstrom?

Maybe we overpay a little for a well-developed prospect who fills a precise need?

I believe strongly that Benning is going to try and cut the fat of this team and get rid of guys like Higgins, Richardson and maybe Burrows/Bieksa/Hamhuis in another season's time so that the kids can come up and play.

This statement worries me. You cant make room for rookies, rookies have to earn their ice-time. You also need to surround rookies by veterans to mentor them, shelter them and help them develop. WE NEED VETS.

I cant stress this enough. Look at Edmonton, they make room for their rookies and look at how well they've done with that. They have no vets to support them, and the rookies are pretty much thrown to the wolves.

I don't want to end up like Edmonton, do you?

i agree with hunter....guys like higgins, richardson and burrows are the reason our pk is one of the best in the league...when players can come in and take over those jobs, then you move them...horvat was brought along slowly by willie and it seems to be paying off...when he gets stronger, i think vey is going to be very good player for us...young players should have to earn a spot on this team...we will get younger, faster and bigger...but by degrees.

Already, by re-signing Tanev, Dorsett and Sbisa, our cap space has been reduced by 5M.

I really wanted Matthias to be re-signed. 18 goals, giant body down the middle is hard to come by in this league and just watch how good he'll be for this team in the playoffs. As a 4th line center next season scoring almost 20 goals, he'd be fantastic if we could get him under 2M but with Dorsett signing for so much I doubt Benning will be able to manouvre that.

From here, I'd like to see Matthias signed for 2 years at 2M per (might have to offer a limited NTC or something to get him cheaper considering the bone-headed move he pulled with the big splash of money for Dorsett). Horvat may be able to replace him as our 3rd line center but we still could use him as our 4th line center, and Gaunce may be ready but he's not going to be scoring 15-20 goals for us which is huge from a bottom 6 forward.

Suddenly we're up 7M on 2015's cap. We had around 2M in room this season though, and assuming the cap hit rises another 2-4M we may have some wriggle room.

Let Richardson walk. That's just over 1M gone.

Re-sign most of the RFAs to the same price they were getting this season. Weber and Vey may warrant a raise. Give Vey a bridge contract at 1.5Mish for 2 years max, suddenly our cap has risen another 1M again. Weber deserves a lot more than he's making but if he pushes for it, forget it, he can be replaced by Clendening and save us some cap room.

Basically, we can make everyone fit but it's going to be tight, and Benning may need to cut a 2M sort of guy to keep everyone together.

I can see we really need to work hard to find players to fit under the cap next season.

I also think Boston kept their first round pick for one reason, and that is to get Kassian at the draft.

I also think the the Canucks are going to have to find some way to move Bieksa at the draft if they intend to improve the club at all via UFA.

I don't know who else they could possibly consider moving.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Baertschi Vey Dorsett

Virtanen

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Sbisa

Stanton Weber

Clendening

Miller

Lack

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

(Although I think Kassian is gone at the draft along with like Jensen for a 1st rounder 12-15ish like poster above said)

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Shinkaruk-Bonino-Burrows

Dorsett-McCann-Hansen

IMO He lets Matthais,Richardson go as UFA

Higgins is traded to NYI

On Defence

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Clendenning-Bieksa

Hamhuis is traded for a first 16-19. Benning likes to have cap space for when he wants to make a trade. He gets rid of Hammer because of his play this year. Hammer looks old, weak and his slowing down. we get 4.5 million off our books. WHICH IS HIGE.

Then we have 3 1st rounders. Benning then goes ok. He trades Our pick 20th and 16-19(what hammer got us)+ Gaunce and he goes and gets young PMD that will help us win NOW someone like OEL

next yrs roster

sedin sedin kassian

baerchi bonino vrbata

virtanen horvat kenins

burrows dorsett

gaunce/shinkaruk callups in season

edler tanev

sbisa clendenning

corrado

lack

markstrom

leaves miller, vey, hansen, higgins, hamhuis, bieska, weber, richardson, mattias, stanton, jensen 11assets that could be traded or packaged their cap value this yr is 27mill we are short a left hand 3rd pairing d and a 4th line winning faceoff center

Lack and Markstrom? Yeah not going to happen. Miller isn't going anywhere! Ive said it for months and will wait till proven wrong. Lack will be moved at the draft.

ok so benning locked up (tanev, sbisa, dorsett) we are at 66 mill in cap hit next yr leaving 4-7 mill to sign

vey, clendenning, stanton, corrado, kenins, baerchi, markstrom all players coming off the entry levels deals

plus rfa weber ufa mattias richardson

what do you guys think hes gonna do make a milllion trades at draft?

1. who does jim want on actual roster next yr he just traded for clendenning is he a part of dcorp moving forward ? or is he packaged?

2. what about jensen hes had a horrible yr in utica where kenins, gaunce, shinkaruk look like they have past him in depth despite being young

3. will baerchi steal veys spot hes a sniper plus vey isnt a center and doesnt have a 200ft game at all so soft

4. Will shinkaruk, pedan, gaunce, virtanen, cassels, mccann steal spots

5. will bieska or hamhuis be coming back

i have no clue what benning will do we have so many options does he want a team that wins faceoffs because we constantly lose possesion and kills game flow

Of course Hamhuis and Bieksa would be back. Hamhuis is one of the core defensemen we keep. I like Bieksa as much as everyone. He is a huge voice in the locker room. But his great days are in the past. If you can move him, I would be okay with that.

Of course Hamhuis and Bieksa would be back. Hamhuis is one of the core defensemen we keep. I like Bieksa as much as everyone. He is a huge voice in the locker room. But his great days are in the past. If you can move him, I would be okay with that.

i wouldnt be so sure that nine mill in cap space plus higgins and hansen is another 5 we need to overload cap so we can sign our young guns

Well for starters i think the Line Up Should be similar to this

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Virtanen-Horvat-Kassian

Dorsett-Mathias-Kennins

Jensen

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Hamhuis

Clendenning-Corrado

Weber

Lack

Markstrom

Trades

Miler+1st round pick to San Jose for Tennyson+1st- We move up a few spots in the draft while adding a D prospect and Shedding 6 mil in cap space. I dont think SJ is doing a full rebuild, more of a re tool and Miller will solve there Net issues

Higgens+4th round pick to NYI for a 2nd round pick- Most teams will only offer a 3rd for Higgins we give back a fourth to help get a 2nd back

Bieksa and Vey to Detroit for Joe Hicketts and Tomas Jurco- Getting 2 prospects back, Detroit gets a RHD they have been needing as well as adding a young NHL player who fits better in the east and in Detroits System. Pick(s) might have to be added to make trade work better

Next years trade deadline depending where we stand. TBH i hope we are out of play picture at that point for a few reasons, we will have high draft pick and 2nd of all we could potentially have the 2 biggest trade pieces at the deadline in Vrbata and Hamhuis, teams will pay a ton to add that Caliber of player for play off run.....Each player could get us a 1st RD pick as well as an A grade Prospect at minimum

Benning will need to start trimming the fat and adding more youth to keep up with other teams. Numerous other teams are constantly adding youth in while Vancouver adds 1 every couple years. Other top teams are developing players while staying competitive and this is a direction we are heading in, Horvat is a great start but i hope to see 2 more added next year

Archived