The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are Sbisa and Dorsett signings a strategy heading into the playoffs?

Scorvat

Now if you think about it, Sbisa and Dorsett are our 2 most physical players. Do you think these signings are a strategy to motivate them?

Its playoff hockey and we have to be physically ready. What better way to do it then sign them to good contracts. Best thing about it is there are no NTCs.

With the physicality Sbisa brings and the energy Dorsett brings could prove to be a great strategy on Bennings part.

I am so pumped for the playoffs!!! :towel:

I thought it was definately a message to the rest of his players, particularly the UFAs, that he wants hard hitting guys who occasionally bring offence over guys like say Vey who won't throw the body but play a more skilled game.

Still not happy with the Dorsett amount in particular but I guess that's the price you have to pay when you don't dish out NTCs like a mad-man.

Do you honestly think that Dorsett needs this kind of outside motivation?

The signings at this time have nothing to do with bizarre subjective head games. The two sides agreed to a deal at this time, so why wait till free agency (Dorsett)? And doing it early also makes it easier for Benning to make the next moves regarding many of his other players, plus UFA possibilities, trades, etc.

I thought it was definately a message to the rest of his players, particularly the UFAs, that he wants hard hitting guys who occasionally bring offence over guys like say Vey who won't throw the body but play a more skilled game.

Still not happy with the Dorsett amount in particular but I guess that's the price you have to pay when you don't dish out NTCs like a mad-man.

I didnt like the amount to dorsett at first.

But he is the perfect mentor for Virtanen just as he was/is for Horvat. I believe that is the #1 reason for the signing. And honestly he deserves it.

I didnt like the amount to dorsett at first.

But he is the perfect mentor for Virtanen just as he was/is for Horvat. I believe that is the #1 reason for the signing. And honestly he deserves it.

We have no idea who is actually mentoring Horvat. Unless Horvat or Dorsett said this explicitly. For all we know it could be... Yannick Weber playing the mentor role.

We have no idea who is actually mentoring Horvat. Unless Horvat or Dorsett said this explicitly. For all we know it could be... Yannick Weber playing the mentor role.

An article in either the Vancouver Sun or The Province implies that Dorsett has been mentoring Horvat all season.

I am not convinced it is that kind of message although I agree that could be part of it.

Dorsett is a "core" kind of guy. He puts the team first while actually playing better than he has done in his career. It is no coincidence he has been re-united with Willie.

Benning also credits him with mentoring Bo Horvat and thinks with the probable coming influx of more young players next season it helps spread the load of teaching them to do things the right way.

Sbisa has been outstanding and has helped to bear a great deal of the defensive load. He is a Bieksa type for me without being quite as gung ho. He is big and physical yet plays with flair. Many on here doubted his ability to stick (I didn't) and JB obviously sees him as part of his plan with Tanev and Edler going forward.

Listen to the Benning interview. He said it. Willie most likely told JB about it.

I would not be surprised if Willie actually asked DD to do it as Willie has that kind of relationship going back with DD.

Both are good signings at a good time. Sbisa has surprised me and has found some consistency since his ice time was forced to go up due to injuries. I see a lot of potential there to become a #4 guy in the way Brent Sopel was, but without the mouth breathing.

Dorsett has become one of my faves with his crazy crazy energy and fearlessness. Stands up for any teammate against anyone in the league.

I agree with the OP in that this could be a message to the big bodied Matthias who is a UFA. If Matthias uses his body with the puck more, and actually hits someone then he may see himself with a nice raise from J-Beezy this summer.

An article in either the Vancouver Sun or The Province implies that Dorsett has been mentoring Horvat all season.

Yes I also seem to recall something like this.

Dorsett is a Desjardins guy. He's also apparently great with younger players.

Great signing. His intensity in the room alone has got to inspire the uninitiated as well as the common veteran.

Maybe the timing is in case they both do extremely well in the playoffs. That way we have them locked in regardless of their performances. Imagine the pay raises they'd both expect if we went on a long run, Benning would probably be able to sign only one of them.

Sbisa will be a top 4 in the future. A 3 year deal takes him to the point where the Canucks can tell how good he will be. Dorsett is a heart and sole type who can anchor the 4th but still move up the lines if needed. Horvat will be 3C next year and Dorsett can help whoever takes the 4C. He gets the 4 years which is important to him. The issue with Dorsett is whether is physical game will shorten his career which is likely.

Couldn't this be discussed in the Dorsett and Sbisa signing thread? Why do you feel the need to create so many redundant threads.

Oh god I'm turning into Elvis.

Thank you.....Thank you very much.... :P

Personally, I think the OP may be reading a bit too much into this. My guess is that they've been working on these deals for a while and they just happened to reach an accord at this time.

Well, It's a message to the other UFA's/RFA's about what the organization values...ie hard work and a very particular set of skills. It's also a message to existing and potential future players that they will be rewarded for those skills.

But to say it's a strategy entering the playoffs is a bit of a stretch.

Sbisa will be a top 4 in the future. A 3 year deal takes him to the point where the Canucks can tell how good he will be. Dorsett is a heart and sole type who can anchor the 4th but still move up the lines if needed. Horvat will be 3C next year and Dorsett can help whoever takes the 4C. He gets the 4 years which is important to him. The issue with Dorsett is whether is physical game will shorten his career which is likely.

Hockey players are in better shape these days unlike years past when they used to come to training camp just to get in shape. Stan Smyl played that kind of style for 13 years.

Benning is rewarding them for their hard work and improvement throughout the season, also wants to get as much done before the playoffs as possible, as anyone would. It's not hard to figure out.

Whether or not the intention was to send a message, these signings still accomplish that effect. The fact is that we have limited cap space, and have just made substantial commitments to an RFA and a UFA. Matthais and Richardson now have to do something in the playoffs to make themselves indispensable, or they may not be coming back. Personally, I'd like to keep both and pay for it all by moving Miller, but that's just me. Objectively, what has happened is that Benning has made a couple of strategic decisions that do bear on the future of other players. Of course it can still play out in several ways, but some variables have been removed and that implicitly does send some messages, particularly to those two UFAs. There's no way around that.

Archived