The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shutting down Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler

*Buzzsaw*

How to shut down Calgary's big line?  

275 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Flames have a very potent line in Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler, total of 86 goals from this one line alone.

If anything Flames offence is weighted heavily on this line, if it can be shut down, they will not do well.

The question is, who does WD match up against these guys?

Do we go strength to strength, and match the Sedins against them?

Or does the coach go with a more defensive matchup?

Personally I am thinking the Bonino line could be the best choice... all of Higgins/Bonino/Vrbata are excellent defensively and in the backcheck.

That would leave the Sedins matched up against one of the secondary Calgary lines.

Comments?

the flames have pretty good offence but their depth is lacking. they can find ways to win games, but in a 7 game series, that lack of depth can be exposed. outside of that top line, they have... bouma, maybe backlund (don't underestimate this guy) then wideman on the backend, while the canucks have balanced scoring; harder to maintain i would think

Sedin line. Best on best. Always go best on best... Especially when you have two elite generational talents like the twins.

Also Luca the freight train rocking em into the middle of next week would help too!

I'd feel safe putting the Bonino line out on that line, Sedins would dominate more against the Backlund/Raymond line.

Also would have to be careful of their defence. They have a very potent and offensive risk taking dcore and it shows as 4 of their 7 top scorers r defencemen. Gotta be able to shut them down as well and break some of their opportunities into odd man rushes the other way.

Sedin line. Best on best. Always go best on best... Especially when you have two elite generational talents like the twins.

Also Luca the freight train rocking em into the middle of next week would help too!

I'd rather have the speed and physicality to grind em down. Kenins-Horvat-Hansen. I wouldn't want to mess with chemistry, but Burrows on the LW would make it a helluva shutdown line. As others have mentioned, Higgins-Bones-Vrbata could match up well too, good speed and two-way play on that line. They'd have the kids running around their own end too.

Let the Sedins feast on the lack of depth.

Should of had LA, they are ready for the picking. The young Flames will be hard to beat, and you guys will know just how annoying their fan base really is. Remember this one thing, if we lose to the Flames you will regret not playing LA Kings. It seems many of you have forgot 2004, heck I was there and I can't ever forget how annoying the Flames fan base really is.

This is the reason I didn't want to play them because of their annoying fan base. Just hope we don't lose.

I'd rather have the speed and physicality to grind em down. Kenins-Horvat-Hansen. I wouldn't want to mess with chemistry, but Burrows on the LW would make it a helluva shutdown line. As others have mentioned, Higgins-Bones-Vrbata could match up well too, good speed and two-way play on that line. They'd have the kids running around their own end too.

Let the Sedins feast on the lack of depth.

Hmmm iono I guess we'll see. But Horvat has been pretty sub par along with his linemates the past 10 or so games. Tonight was one of the few nights the got on the score sheet and weren't pinned in their own end for significant periods.

Should of had LA, they are ready for the picking. The young Flames will be hard to beat, and you guys will know just how annoying their fan base really is. Remember this one thing, if we lose to the Flames you will regret not playing LA Kings. It seems many of you have forgot 2004, heck I was there and I can't ever forget how annoying the Flames fan base really is.

Don't worry about that, they can't be annoying when they lose.

the flames have pretty good offence but their depth is lacking. they can find ways to win games, but in a 7 game series, that lack of depth can be exposed. outside of that top line, they have... bouma, maybe backlund (don't underestimate this guy) then wideman on the backend, while the canucks have balanced scoring; harder to maintain i would think

That's where people underestimate the Flames. It's not just their top line, they do have depth.

They have 7 players other than their top line that are double digits in goals. And two D-men with 40 and alomst 60 points in Brodie and Wideman.

They're getting it done as a team, not just one line. They've been beating good teams all season for a reason. It's gonna be a tough match up.

This is the reason I didn't want to play them because of their annoying fan base. Just hope we don't lose.

Which alternate universe are you living in?

Kings were eliminated, and whether we regret it or not it matters not.

Calgary has depth. They have 11 10+ goal scorers. Quite similar to us.

Horvat has been pretty sub par along with his linemates the past 10 or so games. Tonight was one of the few nights the got on the score sheet and weren't pinned in their own end for significant periods.

I agree... much as it is tempting to match up our young guys with their young guys, I think Bonino's line would be steadier.

But WD could still tag team our matchups and use Horvat for a part of the time.

Archived