The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Super 16 - Really just a super joke?

Fateless

Aside from the last remaining game in the East, the playoffs have been decided.

The NHL released this week's version of the "Super 16" and I had to laugh. I've always taken this list of teams with a grain of salt, but this week, I had to really laugh about it.

Here is the link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=762471&navid=nhl:topheads

They rated Los Angeles at 9th.

9th.

The team that didn't make the playoffs and lost miserably in the last while was rated 9th.

Meanwhile, Vancouver was rated 16th. Calgary was left off.

Who hires the people that write for the "Super 16"? How do they rate a team who failed to make the playoffs in the top 10 while teams that beat said "9th place team" get left off after making the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Corey Masisak is a joke. I have no idea how he still has a job. I remember last week's Super 16 he put LA as 3rd. He said that LA might not make the playoffs but they have the best advanced stats and were poised to win the cup. I had a good laugh.

I have no idea how he makes the rankings but I think he bases a lot of it off of advanced stats (and his love for the LA Kings). Basically what I took out of the Super 16 articles is that advanced stats are so overrated and aren't as accurate as the "educated hockey writers" seem to think. It's too bad Masisak chose to ignore the most important stat - points.

Side note: I remember a couple months ago EJ Hradek (the NHL network guy who is in most of the videos) called Masisak out for having "no hockey knowledge."

I have to say the Kings are better then prob half the teams that are in the playoffs in the west. Think about it what teams would you not want to meet in the first round, the Kings would have to be high on the list. They had a bad season but still are a scary team.

At top of each super 16 ranking this is what it says yet everyone seems to ignore it and just look at the rankings.

DISCLAIMER: While the Super 16 is NHL.com's weekly power rankings, it focuses more on the "power" than the "rankings" when determining the order. It's not always going to look like the League standings and likely will take more of a long view than a short one. If two teams are close the tiebreaker almost always is this: If the two teams started a seven-game series right now, who would prevail? Stop by to see where your favorite team ranks, but stay for the information. All rankings, records and statistics are through the games played Thursday night.

Not only that but the writer uses a considerable amount of advanced stats when making the rankings. (If you look at advanced stats the Kings are much much better than us so the ratings make sense)

But as we all know there is no sure fire way to predict a cup winner, it takes a variety of factors and a lot of luck with match ups.

I have to say the Kings are better then prob half the teams that are in the playoffs in the west. Think about it what teams would you not want to meet in the first round, the Kings would have to be high on the list. They had a bad season but still are a scary team.

A bad season? They barely missed the playoffs. And while they may be the better team on paper, it doesn't mean squat as they are done for the season.

This list is just a list of good analytic teams. It goes to show you, analytics isn't the end all be all when it comes to team success.

It's funny to me because Doughty doesn't give two licks about advanced stats yet he is a analytics darling.

I don't put a lot of stock in analytics to predict team rankings, but I would add that if you had told me the Kings wouldn't make the playoffs and that Vancouver and Calgary were meeting in round 1, I'd have given you a cockeyed look. Analytics absolutely has merit, but the immeasurable intangibles will always play a large part in standings.

I laughed too when I read that list.

This season seems that the more talented teams are in the playoffs, teams like LA Kings and Boston Bruins who are known for their size and thugs are left out (thankful!!).

No surprise Canucks are in the playoffs, they usually make it, with the exception of last year due to poor coaching. The Canucks are very under rated team.

GO CANUCKS GO!

The only thing we need to be worried about is 'game management' by the officials

I'm more worried about why people think complaining about an NHL.com article titled Super 16 is Canucks Talk.

Aside from the last remaining game in the East, the playoffs have been decided.

The NHL released this week's version of the "Super 16" and I had to laugh. I've always taken this list of teams with a grain of salt, but this week, I had to really laugh about it.

Here is the link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=762471&navid=nhl:topheads

They rated Los Angeles at 9th.

9th.

The team that didn't make the playoffs and lost miserably in the last while was rated 9th.

Meanwhile, Vancouver was rated 16th. Calgary was left off.

Who hires the people that write for the "Super 16"? How do they rate a team who failed to make the playoffs in the top 10 while teams that beat said "9th place team" get left off after making the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Oh, I guess that one line made it CT worthy.

Who cares? NHL is gonna NHL.

EDIT: and of course people like the OP would have to be able to read the article rather than just know the numbers 1-16 and be able to recognize logos.

DISCLAIMER: While the Super 16 is NHL.com's weekly power rankings, it focuses more on the "power" than the "rankings" when determining the order. It's not always going to look like the League standings and likely will take more of a long view than a short one. If two teams are close the tiebreaker almost always is this: If the two teams started a seven-game series right now, who would prevail? Stop by to see where your favorite team ranks, but stay for the information. All rankings, records and statistics are through the games played Thursday night.

The Kings are still a good team - particularly when looking at advanced stats which the whole preceding article was based on - and actually had stepped up their play in the second half of the season. It's not unreasonable they'd move up the rankings considering that, even if they are out of the playoffs.

It's a subjective list, based on criteria other than actual performance in the standings. Why cry about it?

EDIT2: and of course someone already posted the disclaimer. +1 R.K41

You guys keep pointing this disclaimer as if that qualifies his positions.

At top of each super 16 ranking this is what it says yet everyone seems to ignore it and just look at the rankings.

DISCLAIMER: While the Super 16 is NHL.com's weekly power rankings, it focuses more on the "power" than the "rankings" when determining the order. It's not always going to look like the League standings and likely will take more of a long view than a short one.

Please, tell me how LA has any "power" and how the ranking system is taking in the "long view" when LA is DONE. You keep making it sound like this disclaimer qualifies his stance as a valid opinion, but the fact that he put LA in the top 16 at all makes zero sense when compared to his own disclaimer.

I have no problem with it not reflecting the standings, but putting teams outside of the playoffs who have lost 5 straight road games (and 3 straight games in a row) at 9th and saying that they are "powerful" and "a long view" is a joke.

Who would you rather have faced in the first round of the playoffs, LA or Calgary? Who do you think we have a better chance of beating? That's why LA is ranked higher then Calgary.

The Canucks could have beat either team in the first round.

LA is not the same team (as shown by their play over the last few weeks, and the majority of the season) while Calagary is an over-achieving wild-card (quite literally).

And what does it matter if people don't want to face LA in the playoffs? NO ONE CAN FACE THEM.

The Canucks could have beat either team in the first round.

LA is not the same team (as shown by their play over the last few weeks, and the majority of the season) while Calagary is an over-achieving wild-card (quite literally).

And what does it matter if people don't want to face LA in the playoffs? NO ONE CAN FACE THEM.

Easy to say now that the kings are out of the playoff but when we had a chance of playing them everyone was praying it wouldn't happen. The whole western conference breathed a sigh of relief when cow town beat LA.

Not only that but the writer uses a considerable amount of advanced stats when making the rankings. (If you look at advanced stats the Kings are much much better than us so the ratings make sense)

But as we all know there is no sure fire way to predict a cup winner, it takes a variety of factors and a lot of luck with match ups.

This disclaimer would solve a lot of strife that fans seem to have.

Archived