The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gstank's Mock Draft

Gstanks 2015 mock draft (lottery pending)

Just my take on the draft and how things may unfold

Buffalo: "with the first overall pick the Buffalo Sabres select..........Connor Mcdavid.

Arizona: Jack Eichel. Considered the second best player in the draft, Arizona will be looking for an offensivly minded winger who could play with Duclair and Domi.

Edmonton: Noah Hanifan. The smooth skating defence is considered by many to be the best defence man in the draft. It's pretty obvious that in the "new nhl" you need to have a Franchise defence man to compete for the Cup. With Edmontons lack of high end defenceman in their system this is almost a no brainier.

Toronto Maple Laughs ;) : Dylan Strome. With the Phil Kessel saga continuing to drag on, the Toronto Maple Leaf draft the younger brother of Ryan Strome. Much bigger than his brother Dylan bring a high end offensive game that the leafs have been lacking at the centre position.

Carolina: Mitch Marner. With Eric Staal and Jordan Staal not getting any younger the Carolina Hurricans pick up a highly skilled forward who has been compared to Patrick Kane. Carolina is pretty much set down the middle with Lindholm, Staal, and Staal so i would except that Marner will be moved to the wing.

New Jersey: Matt Barzal. With being set on young defenceman, the Devil pick up their #1 center of the future. Playing on a horrible offensive team in Seattle, Barzal finished 1 point behind the team lead in points with 23 less games played.

Philadelphia: Ivan Provorov. Having lots of young offensive talent the Flyers are in need of some help on the backend. Provorov is considered to be the second best defenceman on the board and the flyers jump at the chance to fill a need on the back end.

Beyond here it is basically a crap shoot

Columbus: Zach Werenski : Having young players like Dano, Rychel, Wennberg and Jenner already on the team, the Blue Jackets look to to improve their backend that already features Ryan Murray (he will be a top pairing guy) Jack Johnson, and David Savard.

Colorado: Pavel Zacha, with Ryan O'reilly's name being floated about the Avalanche draft the next a very similar player in Zacha. I think they will probably choose a defence man but there isn't really anyone that i could see them taking. They may also aquired a defenceman through a potential O'reilly trade.

Florida Panther: Mikko Rantanen, having Barkov will help make Rantanen's transition from Finland to the NHL a lot easier. Florida looks to solidify their top 6 by adding Rantanen.

San Jose: Crouse. With Big Joe and Marleau getting older, the Sharks look to the Big forward from Kingston in hopes he could be the next Marleau of Thornton.

Dallas: Oliver Kylington. with young defenceman like Klingberg, Honka, Oleksiak and Jokipakka. The Stars roll the dice on Kylington in hopes he will become a number 1 defenceman

Los Angelos: Thomas Chabot.

Boston: Timo Meier. Do i need to say more. He is the perfect fit for the "Boston Model"

Edmonton Oilers: Nicolas Meloche. In my opinion he will be the best out of the 3 QJMHL defenders

Winnipeg: Kyle Connor: Smart two way forward who could be an excellent 3rd line centre

Ottawa: Ramus Andersson. With the emergence of Stone and Hoffman, the Senators look to build depth on the back end

Calgary Flames Brendan Carlo, Meat and Potatoes need I say more

Detroit: Travis Konecy. Datsyuk can't keep playing for ever.

Buffalo: Buffalo Bittner. Rolls the dice and chooses Paul Bittner.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS: Jakub Zboril. With an injury shortened season Zboril COULD be the top 4 PMD defenceman of the future

Minnesota: Jeremy Roy, They can't relay on Suter for ever.

Washington: Jansen Harkins. Would make an excellent 3rd line centre behind Backstrom and Kuznetsov Burakovsky

Arizona: Nick Merkley, This pick will depend on if they get McDavid or Eichel. If they get Eichel i see them going for a centre, Mcdavid they choose a defence man

Toronto: Jacob Larson. honestly i dont know much about him, but from what I heared Toronto needs defenceman and I can't see them taking an offensive guy like Juulsen. Defence wins championships

Philladelphia: Jordan Greenway

Winnipeg: Jake Debrusk, with a deep system Winnipeg take a chance on the scoring Machine.

Montreal: Jermey Bracco. Offensive powerhouse, could possibily help Montreal's offensive problems.

Anahiem: Brock Boeser:

Tampa Bay: Alexander Dergachyov. A huge 6'4 Russian, who could possibly flourish into a top 6 but is most likely going to be a top 9 forward. Tampa hasn't been afraid to take Russians in the past, so they may also take Guryanov.

Just waiting for Synpers to laugh about certain players being left off or being placed a head of other players

Bicker away

When Buffalo makes their selection, will they ensure his name is mispronounced as well as misspelled, or would just misspelling suffice?

Here come the grammar nazi's :rolleyes:, IF you aren't going to add anything of substance you can go find another thread to troll.

Right off the bat, from an aesthetic perspective, I would suggest bold-ing the team names. I think it would make it easier to read.

As far as the list is concerned, I don't think it's bad but there are some risers that I don't agree with. Andersson is too low on the NHL CSS list(s) but way too high here. Greenway and Bracco would be risers in the first round as well. Also, the Senators have Karlsson and Ceci on the right-side so it would make more sense if they took a left-shooting d-man. Zboril or Chabot, perhaps. Montreal still lacks size in their potential top-6 players and they do have Gallagher, Scherbak, and McCarron in their RW depth chart. They will move Galchenyuk to C eventually and they really don't have anyone behind Pacioretty on LW. I think it is more likely that they take Evgeny Svechnikov who could be another Pacioretty for them.

Also, you mention the Sabres "rolling the dice" on Bittner. You don't "roll the dice" on players picked so early in the draft. That's stuff you do once it gets more jumbled from the 5th round at the earliest. That being said, I don't think it's a bad pick for them. A future one-two punch of Kane and Bittner on LW could be real dangerous.

As for our pick, I like it, but I would prefer Jeremy Roy (he is in my profile pic after all). Not by a ton but by a good enough margin to sway me his way. He doesn't have Zboril's nastiness and is an inch shorter (5'11.75 and 6'0.75 respectively) but he is thick and does compete very, very hard. I feel that Roy's pure offensive talents/instincts are better, and he has an impressively complete all-around game so early in his career. I think he has some of the best hockey smarts amongst any player in this draft. He has the natural talent, is a competitor, and is a very mature kid. I said it in the draft thread and I'll reiterate: I think he's the kind of player who only gets better.

Archived