The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your excuse for eating meat?

GLASSJAW

Because I hunt. I take only the meat I need, and waste none. I get deer made into salami, sausage, steaks, ribs etc.

I am thankful for every animal I take. No better way to respect an animal that you would eat than to get it yourself.

Also, it is natural for us as humans to eat meat. Like any other species does. It is nature. Bears can eat berries and shrubs, but they choose to eat fish and scraps.

It's true it's been us against the animals since the beginning of time. I think we are winning the war though. It also looks like we've got the trees on the ropes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uur0e7zbRGU

Do all of you honestly hunt? The number seems kinda high here..

Born & bred (1960) prairie boy here.

Most of us had .22 rifles by age 10 and shotguns by 14.

Firearm safety and respect for the animals were the two first lessons that we were taught.

Never leave a wounded animal and eat what you kill were drilled into us.

Do all of you honestly hunt? The number seems kinda high here..

I do as does everyone in my family. I don't think 3 people saying they hunt is a high number considering a large number of people in BC hunt or know someone who does. I can't speak for anyone else but I was born and raised in Mackenzie where pretty much every family hunted.

We've had these threads every year going back for many years.

Soon Stew (SILLY GOOSE) will spam it with questions of morality towards the suffering of other creatures but that always misses the mark and turns it into a philosophical debate when it frankly, IMO, is simply about resource allocation and health.

People want to eat meat.... and until there is an alternative that appeals to the masses who can afford it... or it doesn't become readily available or viable to continue doing so.... it will continue to happen. The question, in my mind, is about best practices both for the planet under these conditions and for diet.

I do as does everyone in my family. I don't think 3 people saying they hunt is a high number considering a large number of people in BC hunt or know someone who does. I can't speak for anyone else but I was born and raised in Mackenzie where pretty much every family hunted.

And Booth had to go to Alberta in the off season.

now that we have gotten the most obvious responses out of the way, if anyone with a brain wishes to respond, i would love to read it

have to laugh at how you ask everyone why they still eat it. They give you their VALID ANSWERS, and you reply with "well that's obvious" and proceed to attempt to belittle their intelligence just because their answer doesn't please you.

That said, I do the same thing when I argue with people who drink alcohol or smoke (the belittling their intellect... obviously not the "that's obvious" part)). So, the hypocritical part of me sees the irony in mocking you for doing it.

As for the question at hand. It is as simple as taste for me first. Meat is far more appealing to the taste buds and my stomach than any vegetable or fruit is.

Also, for me, who has only a few teeth left, its actually easier to eat than most vegetables unless you boil them. Far easier to chew ham or chicken than a carrot or a potato for me.

I am aware of how animals are treated. It sucks. But, theres a LOT of "it sucks" things in the world that we blindly ignore daily on top of that. Our reliance on oil is worse for the world than our mistreatment of the animals we are eventually going to kill for food. Nothing I can do about that either.

At the end of the day, they are animals. They would be killed and eaten by other animals in the wild. Their deaths would be far more brutal and surely frightening than the way its done by humans.

What's your excuse for pushing your issues onto others to make them feel bad about their lifestyle choices?

I am a vegetarian myself but never would I question the choices others make. You have made your choice not to eat meat and that's great for you but why make those that do eat meat feel bad for doing it. Perhaps a better way of going about it would to be posting about better choices for eating meat such as farm fresh, local butchers, farmers markets, etc.

Can't you be happy that you live a hopefully healthy and happy life????

What's your excuse for pushing your issues onto others to make them feel bad about their lifestyle choices?

I am a vegetarian myself but never would I question the choices others make. You have made your choice not to eat meat and that's great for you but why make those that do eat meat feel bad for doing it. Perhaps a better way of going about it would to be posting about better choices for eating meat such as farm fresh, local butchers, farmers markets, etc.

Can't you be happy that you live a hopefully healthy and happy life????

I agree with him completely though

90% of the meat and eggs I eat come from free range and local sources.

However, I still do feel guilty sometimes.

The large scale meat industry is truly inhumane and disgusting, with a few major companies running show.

It's a dirty game and no one is willing to clean it.

The way animals are treated is wrong. Humans are also mistreated though. Corporations take entire tracts of land for vegetable and fruit production while the local populace starve. Slaves are used for fisheries in some countries.

What is your excuse for eating fish, fruit, and, vegetables?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm

There are many things humans don't understand when it comes to our interactions with life on the planet (whether we are eating it, making it visually pleasing by cutting it to pieces, or dismembering it to make our clothes/homes).

I just try to understand that some things need to die and/or suffer for me to live. Of course I try to minimize the suffering as much as possible but I am not naive enough to think it is truly avoidable. We live in an existential world, things won't change until we become biologically/technologically capable of synthetically sustaining our health/energy.

The way animals are treated is wrong. Humans are also mistreated though. Corporations take entire tracts of land for vegetable and fruit production while the local populace starve. Slaves are used for fisheries in some countries.

What is your excuse for eating fish, fruit, and, vegetables?

Good question..

I know that the chocolate industry and coffee industry is pretty bad.. towards the environment, people, and animals.

But that still doesn't stop people from hoarding into starbucks for their favorite espresso or hot chocolate beverage.

Archived