The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings locked Sutter out of dressing room

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-kings-locked-sutter-out-of-dressing-room/#__federated=1

Report: Kings locked Sutter out of dressing room

According to a report from the New York Post, the Los Angeles Kings players locked coach Darryl Sutter out of the room following a recent loss. (Larry MacDougal/CP)

RORY BOYLEN APRIL 11, 2015, 6:07 PM

The Los Angeles Kings have won two of the past three Stanley Cups, but couldnt muster the strength to mount a late-season push this time. After back-to-back losses to Edmonton and Calgary, the high-powered Kings an advanced stats darling surprisingly failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post wrote that the calendar finally caught up to them. For three seasons in a row, the Kings were playing hockey well into June and more than a few players also suited up for their country in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. But more than that, Brooks writes that the team may be tiring of coach Darryl Sutter.

From Brooks:

Slap Shots has been told by two sources that the Kings locked the door to their locker room following a defeat on the road within the last two weeks so that Sutter could not get in and deliver what the players apparently expected to be another in a series of lectures/tirades.

As the tale was told, after Sutter finally tracked down an arena operative to unlock the door, he was greeted by three heavy waste receptacles lined up as barricade to what had become an empty room.

Following the report, Sportsnets Daren Millard tweeted there is no rift in the Kings dressing room.

Sutters longest tenure behind an NHL bench was with the San Jose Sharks, where he served for five full seasons and parts of a sixth. He was the head coach for three years in Chicago and Calgary and just finished his fourth season in Los Angeles.

Its hard to believe Sutters job would be in jeopardy. Theres little doubt hell be given an opportunity to turn it around with a rested Kings team next season.

But if this development were true, its certainly interesting. If the Kings start slow out of the gate next season and feelings like these linger, perhaps Sutters leash wont be a long one.

Sutter himself has no doubts at all that hell be back next season. When asked by Jon Rosen of LAKingsInsider.com if were going to see you in September Sutter replied: Absolutely. What do you mean, see me? Am I invisible?

Wow, stay classy you Queens... This is how you treated a coach who brought the team from brink of playoffs elimination and winning 2 Cups...? This may be not the best time to shine, but dang... Being spoiled isn't professional..

Sutter is obviously a talented coach and strategist but I could definitely see players tiring of his 'de-motivational' style as a bench boss.

Still, its hard to deny his effectiveness and if the players think that a locked door and some garbage cans are going to consistently keep him out of their faces for poor play...they are kidding themselves.

I wonder who's idea it was to lock the door?

There was a report earlier in the season that John Stevens will take over for Sutter within the next couple of seasons, which is why Stevens is an assistant coach now for the Kings.

I remember the Canucks were high on John Stevens when they were looking for their new Head Coach. Makes me wonder if the Coaching Succession in LA will come much sooner rather than later!?

Wow, stay classy you Queens... This is how you treated a coach who brought the team from brink of playoffs elimination and winning 2 Cups...? This may be not the best time to shine, but dang... Being spoiled isn't professional..

You act like the coach was singlehandedly responsible for the teams' success when really it was the players who were actually one the ice shedding their blood, sweat, and tears.

We really don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe Sutter is just that much a dick and deserves it.

Archived