The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Awards for the 2014-15: Your picks

-AJ-

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll start off by saying that this hasn't been created yet, at least as far as I can tell. I looked for topics into the last 3 weeks and didn't see anything.

The concept of this is extremely straightforward, post your picks for the award winners! If you want, post the other finalists too. Seeing as the season is over, we now have the full stats to work with.

Hart Memorial

Winner - Carey Price - Price has had one of those kind of years. When a goaltender is first in wins, GAA, and save percentage (all by significant margins too), you know he's done well. To top it off, he was first in shutouts until Fleury beat him in game 82.

Finalist #1 - Alex Ovechkin - 53 goals. Duh.

Finalist #2 - Jamie Benn - I know this puts Crosby out of the race, but Benn's torrid finish deserves some attention. He's the first BC boy to ever win the Art Ross and deserves to be considered one of the best in the world.

Vezina

Winner - Carey Price - See above.

Finalist #1 - Devan Dubnyk - Who would've ever thought we'd see Dubnyk's name up here? He played decently with Arizona, but was lights out for the Wild and deserves to be considered one of the best for this year.

Finalist #2 - Cory Schneider - Schneider did it all, and on a terrible team, too. His .925 save percentage is below the likes of Mason and Talbot, but both of had better teams to work with.

James Norris

Winner - P.K. Subban - Subban was tied for 2nd in points with 60 points on the year among d-men, but that's not what puts him over the top. Among players with at least 60 games, he's also 6th in relative USAT (Fenwick) among d-men.

Finalist #1 - Erik Karlsson - Because 66 points from the blue line has to count for something. Also 30th in USAT among d-men. Also 3rd in takeaways among d-men.

Finalist #2 - Roman Josi - Breakout year with 55 points. Also 2nd in the league with 209 shot blocks.

Calder Memorial

Winner - Mark Stone - It's not just is crazy finish. Mark Stone does it all. He tied for first in points with 64 but also was 9th among rookies in shot blocks and was first in the league in takeaways. He is the epitome of a two-way forward.

Finalist #1 - Johnny Gaudreau - Johnny "Hockey" as his fans have come to call him has been an integral part of the Flames' offense this year.

Finalist #2 - Aaron Ekblad - This one was very tight for me between Ekblad, Forsberg, and Klingberg, but Ekblad's consistent high minutes was a good tie-breaker. All three of these players are good in all three zones, but Ekblad does it while playing against the best of the best.

Lady Byng

Winner - Jiri Hudler - Hudler has been heavily underrated this year (as Canuck fans will see in the first round) and he's scored 76 points (8th in the league) while only erring 7 times for 14 PIM.

Finalist #1 - Pavel Datsyuk - He's not here just because he's been here before. He's here because he's done it again. Datsyuk had just 8 PIM this year while getting 65 points.

Finalist #2 - Daniel Sedin - I'll be honest, I thought Daniel had too many penalties to be considered here, but it seems that most of the productive players in the league have a higher number of penalties than usual. He scored 76 points, but had just 18 PIM.

Frank J. Selke

Winner - Joe Pavelski - Surprised? I was. I spent about a full hour crunching the numbers for this one and Pavelski's name kept coming up. Among forwards, Pavelski finished 9th in SAT, 10th in face-offs, 75th in +/-, 23rd in takeaways, and 5th in blocked shots. No other place was even close to as well rounded as Pavelski in those 5 stats.

Finalist #1 - Patrice Bergeron - Bergeron's only blemish was his plus/minus (only +2), but that could be largely due to his team. He was 3rd in SAT, 28th in blocked shots, and 1st in face-offs.

Finalist #2 - Ryan O'Reilly - Like Bergeron, O'Reilly's only blemish was also his plus/minus (-5). Again, this is likely due to his sub-par team. He was 34th in SAT, 2nd in takeaways, and 21st in face-offs.

Jack Adams Award

Winner - Bob Hartley - Hartley orchestrated a 20 point increase in the Flames with a team that was supposed to be rebuilding, not making the playoffs. The Flames now have a great offense and are set to be contenders after only a short rebuild.

Finalist #1 - Jack Capuano - Not many are talking about him, but the Islanders have had the biggest improvement this year of any team, going from 79 points last year to 101 points this year; a 22 point increase.

Finalist #2 - Willie Desjardins - Call me biased, but Willie has been huge for Vancouver this year. The vibe has changed with Willie on board and so has the team. They went from 83 points last year to 101 this year, an 18 point increase.

Ted Lindsay Award

Same as my Hart Trophy Winners, so I won't write on them.

There's also the GM of the year award, but I don't feel informed enough to make a decision on that matter.

So, what do you think? Who are your picks? Why?

How come only 3 of the awards are in the poll?

My Picks

Hart - Price

Finalist - Ovechkin

Finalist - Tavares

Norris - Karlsson

Finalist - Subban

Finalist - Josi

Selke - Pavelski

Finalist - Bergeron

Finalist - Toews

Vezina - Price

Finalist - Rinne

Finalist - Dubynk

Calder - Ekblad

Finalist - Stone

Finalist - Gaudreau

Adams - Hartley

Finalist - Capuano

Finalist - Laviolette

Hart - Price

Finalist - Ovechkin

Finalist - Tavares

Norris - Doughty

Finalist - Karlsson

Finalist - Josi

Selke - Pavelski

Finalist - Bergeron

Finalist - Stone

Vezina - Price

Finalist - Rinne

Finalist - Dubynk

Calder - Stone

Finalist - Gaudreau

Finalist - Ekblad

Adams - Hartley

Finalist - Capuano

Finalist - WD

I'm saying Hammond for the Hart. The Hart is for the player judged to be most valuable to his team. I'm not saying Hart was the best goalie (he wasn't) but he was essential to the Senators run beyond just goaltending. He gave them belief and they played different in front of him than Anderson.

The Vezina can go to Price.

How come only 3 of the awards are in the poll?

My Picks

Hart - Price

Finalist - Ovechkin

Finalist - Tavares

Norris - Karlsson

Finalist - Subban

Finalist - Josi

Selke - Pavelski

Finalist - Bergeron

Finalist - Toews

Vezina - Price

Finalist - Rinne

Finalist - Dubynk

Calder - Ekblad

Finalist - Stone

Finalist - Gaudreau

Adams - Hartley

Finalist - Capuano

Finalist - Laviolette

Can only do 3 questions in a single topic. I would have done more if I could have :P.

As much I was want Price to win the Hart especially since he deserves it, I just don't see the NHL giving it to him. Why? Because Luongo and Brodeur each had badass years themselves, posting better numbers than Price and still never won.

Because of this, I think Ovie may be the number one candidate and Price just behind him.

As much I was want Price to win the Hart especially since he deserves it, I just don't see the NHL giving it to him. Why? Because Luongo and Brodeur each had badass years themselves, posting better numbers than Price and still never won.

Because of this, I think Ovie may be the number one candidate and Price just behind him.

The only reason why Luongo didn't win the Hart in 2007 was because Crosby had an insane year and also single handedly brought his team back to the post season. Except the Penguins were a lot worse than Vancouver was that year. So Crosby did deserve that trophy. I still think Luongo was robbed of the Vezina that year though.

I don't come to around the nhl much but glad I saw this one.

Had to pay homage and vote for Daniel... Especially since you put my name in the poll!

A= who I genuinely deserves it

B= a Lil bit of homerism spiced

Hart:

1A. Ovy

2A. Crosby

3A. Daniel Sedin

1B. Ovy

2B. Daniel Sedin

3B. Tavares

Vezina

1. Price

2. Dubnyk

3. Hammond

* I know Hammond didn't play much but you have to after what he did. No homer picks for this

Norris

1. Josi

2. Karlsson

3. Weber

No homer picks on this either

Jack Adams

1. Hartley... Runaway.

2. Laviolette

3. Willie

Calder

1A. Ekblad

2A. Johnny

3A. Stone

1B. Stone

2B. Ekblad

3B. Johnny

I think in reality you have to give ekblad the trophy as it's so so close and he's only 19.

A Norris poll without Doughty or Weber?

^

People vote for Weber and Doughty largely based on their past performance and not solely based on this year as it should be done. I did an in-depth analysis with these two compared to my top three candidates and this is what I got.

Doughty%20and%20Weber%20no%20Norris.png

Weber and Doughty clearly had slightly off years compared to other d-men in the league. The only reason you could say that these guys are still possibly above the others is the intangibles they offer (leadership, guidance and team confidence). Also, the LA Kings had five other defensemen with better +/- than Doughty. We all know that +/- on it's own isn't the greatest stat, but when you compare it to his teammates, it's concerning.

I will admit that a case can be made for Weber, but Doughty doesn't deserve to be considered this year.

Why is John Tavares not even a poll option for Hart, he finished 2nd in NHL scoring and lead the Islanders to finish 5th in the east when most people predicted they would miss the playoffs this year. Tavares deserves Hart consideration.

For this one, I don't know what I was thinking. Tavares should definitely be in the discussion.

If Luongo and Brodeur played for Toronto or Montreal they may have had a chance.

Duodenum's NHL Awards:
Hart: Price (Ovechkin first runner up)
Vezina: Price (Dubnyk first runner up)
Norris: Karlsson (Subban first runner up)
Calder: Gaudreau (Ekblad really close)
Selke: Bergeron (Toews first runner up)
Jack Adams: Alain Vigneault (Hartley first runner up)
Hart:
Price, no contest. He should win by a country mile. First goalie in a long time to lead in Wins, SV%, and GAA in the same year. Godly numbers.
Ovechkin second due to his huge lead in goals on the 2nd highest player. Close to winning the Art Ross as well. Tavares would be pretty close to Ovechkin, but falls behind due to their goal differential.
Vezina:
Price, no contest.
Dubnyk came in and put Minny on his back. Finishes very strong in the SV% and GAA categories. It looked like Rinne would've been 2nd but has faltered down the stretch.
Norris:
Might've been Subban if Ottawa had not made the playoffs. Karlsson is back in fine form following his achilles injury. 60+ points, huge minutes, basically runs the Ottawa 5 man unit when he's on the ice. Top notch skating along with his 2nd 20 goal season.
Subban comes in very close to Karlsson. Almost as many points, almost as many minutes. Less takeaways, and more giveaways all hurt his cause. He also played the majority of the year with Markov while Karlsson's regular D partner, Methot, missed time with injury.
Giordano, if he had continued on his pace, would've beaten both Karlsson and Subban for the Norris this year.
Honourable mention to Roman Josi, who has had an amazing year himself.
Calder:
Gaudreau, the rookie leader in scoring, comes out on top here. He surpassed Forsberg due to the latter's slowing down in the 2nd half of the season. Magic with the puck, the shifty small forward has a very deceptive game, and made some of the top defenders in the NHL look foolish on many occasions. Hudler and Monahan have helped his production, being two good players in their own rights. His production continued right to the end of the season, where he helped the Calgary Flames return to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. Has had a rookie year very reminiscent of Skinner's Calder winning season in 2010/2011. (Personal bias falls here as I saw much more of Gaudreau than of Ekblad).
Ekblad has been given big minutes for a rookie defender down in Florida. His defensive partner, Campbell, has helped guide him through his first NHL season. He has a man's body with great instincts both offensively and defensively. Like most young defenders, he struggled at times with shifty forwards, who were able to beat him one-on-one on more than one instance. He ended the year with only 7 points in his last 26 games while fighting for a playoff spot. Nevertheless, with 39 total points on the year, that placed him at 3rd all time in points by a rookie 18/19 year old defenseman. He would be very deserving of winning the Calder trophy.
Selke:
Bergeron wins this in a landslide. Less so on numbers and more so on reputation, the Selke has oft been a reputation-based trophy. Bergeron, however, would be very worthy of his 2nd Selke trophy. Take a look at these advanced statistics, noting that the Bruins have not been as good a possession team this year as year's past:
6th among forwards in Shot attempt percentage (58%)
1st in scoring chance percentage (60%)
Started only 29% of the time in the offensive zone.
1st in faceoff percentage, faceoffs taken, and faceoffs won.
4th in CORSI for percentage
1st in Shots for relative percentage.
Runner-ups: Toews, Kopitar
Many of their metrics rivalled Bergeron's except for one main difference: their usage. Bergeron started in the defensive zone far more than the aforementioned.
Jack Adams:
Probably will catch the most flack here, but Alain Vigneault is a great coach. This isn't his first time leading a team to the President's trophy. New York finished with the highest number of points and the highest number of regulation wins, two more than Tampa Bay. They were also first in goal differential at +60. They had the third highest goals per game along with the third lowest goals against per game. The Rangers look poised for a deep run in the playoffs. His main weakness is his love for pluggers, as displayed by his usage of Tanner Glass.
Bob Hartley is also a very deserving candidate, bringing the Flames back into the playoffs with a first round match-up against the Canucks. He has lead a very young team to the playoffs, even with a devastating injury to their best defender in Giordano. Monahan, Gaudreau, and Brodie have all had breakout years. Their possession stats don't lend them any hands, but possession isn't everything as displayed by the Kings failing to make the playoffs.
Feel free to agree/disagree!

Archived