The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning to miss first four playoff games

baumerman77

Benning today on Team 1040 said that he would be scouting at U-18 tournament in Switzerland for the next week and that he would be missing the first 4 playoff games.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-confident-as-canucks-open-playoffs-1.257055

I want us to have good scouting and drafting as much as the next guy. But doesn't it seem odd that his first year as a GM he won't even be at the first four playoff games?

I guess I am in the minority here. I just think that as a leader he should be with the team. Making management and coaching decisions just like he does it the regular season. Not to mention we have yet to sell out. From a PR point of view I think he should be in the city, perhaps some would argue that Linden is more the PR guy of the management group - and I would agree. I just find it a little odd.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/368645-are-sbisa-and-dorsett-signings-a-strategy-heading-into-the-playoffs/?p=12713616

It's much more simple than everyone is making it out to be….

JB got the contracts done before he left for Bern, Switzerland, mid next week, for the U-18s and they didn't want to negotiate DURING the playoffs so he had to do them in this timeframe or wait until we are eliminated, which could be June.

Pointless dramatizing. You seem bent upon atttempting to one-up a far more intelligent hockey man than yourself.

"Making management and coaching decisions just like he does it the regular season."

Benning doesn't make "coaching decisions". You clearly misunderstand his role.

That is an extremely important opportunity to see European talent that is rarely assembled in one place at one time. Benning has scouting in his blood. The draft is rapidly approaching. Shocking that someone would bother to question this.

There are televlsions and the internet in Europe. I'm certain he will watch the games.

3204840swsw.gif

I guess I am in the minority here. I just think that as a leader he should be with the team. Making management and coaching decisions just like he does it the regular season. Not to mention we have yet to sell out. From a PR point of view I think he should be in the city, perhaps some would argue that Linden is more the PR guy of the management group - and I would agree. I just find it a little odd.

Linden is the leader. Benning said at the beginning of the year his main focus is scouting. Best tim to scout is playoff time. Love it.

Archived