The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Playoff Home Crowd Ever (Game1)

vancouverdepression

It was pathetic having to watch the fans at rogers last night, looked like a pre season game at times. The least you can do is buy a 10 dollar canuck tshirt to wear but noooo all we get is dudes in their button ups or jackets, playing on their cell phones.... Shame on you. No wonder the players never got hyped up because no one in the arena did. If you want inspiration go watch the Flames barn and if we go down 0-2 we are in deep crap. So for the love of god someone pass along the message to game 2 folks to get in the spirit or save us all the trouble and just dont show up because a white towel covering your seat would be more playoff attitude than what youre bringing. BRUTAL!

The Saddledome is absolutely going to put us to shame. In any other Canadian city you wouldn't be able to hear any on-ice sounds. Marked up ticket prices are not an excuse for any other Canadian city and it shouldn't be for us.

I agree, the Saddledome will be electric. Getting all riled up and sh!tfaced isn't as part of our culture as it is the rest of Canada, which I think is a major contributing factor. Vancouverites just don't get as drunk.

I was there last night in the lower bowl and there were actually some pretty loud fans in our section. Our section actually started the wave, which I don't really like but whatever. The sound from the TV really doesn't do it justice. The feel in that building was pretty good and loud for every hit, save, and chance for the Canucks.

It died down in the third when CGY took over the game. There were some attempts to rally the boys by the fans but to no avail as they ended up pooping the bed for the last 15 mins of the game. And at that point what are the fans to do? The bottom line is that there kind of has to be something to cheer about.

Edit: do you not think it would have been louder if the Canucks continued to push and play well throughout the third?

I agree, the Saddledome will be electric. Getting all riled up and sh!tfaced isn't as part of our culture as it is the rest of Canada, which I think is a major contributing factor. Vancouverites just don't get as drunk.

I was there last night in the lower bowl and there were actually some pretty loud fans in our section. Our section actually started the wave, which I don't really like but whatever. The sound from the TV really doesn't do it justice. The feel in that building was pretty good and loud for every hit, save, and chance for the Canucks.

It died down in the third when CGY took over the game. There were some attempts to rally the boys by the fans but to no avail as they ended up pooping the bed for the last 15 mins of the game. And at that point what are the fans to do? The bottom line is that there kind of has to be something to cheer about.

Edit: do you not think it would have been louder if the Canucks continued to push and play well throughout the third?

Yes it would have been if the boys showed up for the 3rd. Kenins was more noticeable during the game than the Sedins, Pathetic.

Watched the first period and was shocked by the number of empty seats in the lower bowl. I couldn't watch the rest of the game so not sure if those were just late arrivers or one mass potty break, but still it's pretty embarrassing for a hockey market like this. And sooooo quiet for long stretches. Like a November game.

The arena seemed pretty damn loud to me. But you're right OP, the Canucks weren't hyped enough for the playoffs because they didn't approve of some of the crowd's attire.

You can tell from their facial expressions.

It was much better than I expected.

It's the city's demographic. No idea where the hipster thing comes from... The hipsters don't like nor watch hockey.

It's the age and the mindset of the people that attend.

I for one have been bashing the crowd for a few months but last night was much better.

It was much better than I expected.

It's the city's demographic. No idea where the hipster thing comes from... The hipsters don't like nor watch hockey.

It's the age and the mindset of the people that attend.

I for one have been bashing the crowd for a few months but last night was much better.

Vancouver is way too mainstream for hipster hockey fans. They tend to cheer for the Whalers, Nordiques, etc.

LOL yea i saw how the crowd was going to play a role in the game, with this dumb skank on her cell phone, DURING THE ANTHEM TAKING A SELFIE. this has to stop

you pay so much for the game let the fan be....and honestly it is just the anthem.

My friends and I wholeheartedly disagree and cordially invite you to spend a lovely evening out in this fine city with us.

OMG, You guys have zero clue what you are talking about. The building was REALLY noisy cuz I was there and I always make noise but this time everyone was making noise with me. Get a life and if you aren't at the game get a ticket, go and then make your own noise.

Sure it isn't like being in Montreal and for sure it isn't like being in Winnipeg but it was loud. So there U have it.

Has nothing to do with drinking at the game. More a reflection of the city and its people. As someone else said, Van is a very narcissistic city, more about being seen at a game not about being a fan. Van crowds have always been quieter and the fans less hockey fans than they are canuck fans who need to be seen at or going to a game. I don't think this will ever change.

Archived