The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Anyone Else Getting Kinda Tired of CBC's Playoff Coverage for This Team?

TOMapleLaughs

This may or may not be a big deal for you, and some of you may respect the way it's always been, but I think there is definitely room for improvement with regards to the playoff coverage for this team.

This isn't so much of a poo-poo on Craig Simpson, (well kinda), but I just get the feeling that we could be better served here by the Sportsnet coverage we get used to in the regular season for the playoffs.

Since hockey coverage up here is now a joint CBC/SN effort anyway, why can't we just forget about CBC's regional coverage for 'Everything West of Flin Flon' and stick with our local coverage?

I just don't picture the entertainment value here in Vancouver growing with CBC's current playoff coverage in the picture.

Simple questions that need to be addressed if the name of the game here is sports entertainment:

How are the local fans supposed to build excitement for a surprise playoff run when all series long they're hearing about the cushy, pat on the back stories about the other team, and not much at all about their own team?

If a play on the ice isn't quite what the commentator is saying, then why is the commentator saying it?

There's always the local radio, I guess, but shouldn't local fans be treated by a local perspective when it comes to TV coverage? Why should the playoffs be different? Because of the CBC's outdated entitlement? I think that by now that should be over with, don't you. After all, Those old days of Montreal french coverage vs. TO's english coverage are extinct.

Anyway, I'm really not looking forward to enduring another run here with CBC's coverage. The game is supposed to be fun and entertaining, and while the product on the ice certainly is, the coverage during the playoffs doesn't match up well at all. It's just a big turnoff.

I hope that change is coming in this regard as well.

I'm finding, more and more, they get sidetracked with their idle chit chat that strays from the play. It's like a couple of guys making small talk at a party and they leave the game completely behind at times. It was noticeable in our last game prior to playoffs. I wanted to scream at them that there was a game going on.

I am over the whole slamming this/that..."it is what it is". I'm tired of whining (I've done my fair share) because it takes MY focus away from the game too. So I just set the bar low, like I did with my ex, then I'm not disappointed. Lowered expectations, it works.

Totally agree! I prefer Shorty and Garrett. Hugeson(?) does a decent play by play which I enjoy. Rather hear Gary Valk between periods as well.

The broadcasters(SNP) who do the teams regular season games should do playoffs. When the series switches to Calgary then their crew takes over. The national broadcast simply caters to the TO hub. They cannot even stay with the game they are covering it always reverts back to the Laffers, even last night. The only guy I enjoy is Kypreos who cannot help but blurt out the truth.

I just wish they would give us the option for on ice audio instead.If they can't keep the coverage neutral and balanced, might as well let us mute it all.

This sounds like a feature they could easily add with today's technology. Local audio for both teams.

And God knows the CBC/SN army has enough people to pull it off at the same time.

Put on mute and turn on some music?

I enjoy hearing the play-by-play. That's entertaining.

Why do people care so much about the commentators? just watch the damn game. Jim Hughson does a fantastic job. We listen to the homer broadcast of John & John like 70 games a year..can we not live through some playoff games without them? If you want more Canuck talk just flip on TSN1040.

Because it's part of the entertainment package that the fans here want to enjoy. And since the playoffs are far more important to us fans than the regular season, I don't see why it should flip to a regional coverage when really we want to be entertained even moreso by pro-home team commentary. I believe this is what most fans in the US currently enjoy.

I feel that it's very entertaining and exciting for the fans to actually be riled up about their team, rather than to be soured by the out-of-town commentators we've grown accustomed to during the playoffs.

I don't know...I usually just tune in to a Canucks playoff game to find out how PK Subban is trending on twitter.

Jeebus f'ing crab cakes, WTF was that?!?! I was watching that, I'm sure, with this expression on my face :blink:

A @#$%'ing chart on how Subban's "trending"?!? Is this what it's come to?

:picard:

Thank Gordie I PVR the games. The FF button was out in force last night.

Craig Simpson is the worst. He has a clear bias against the Canucks and hes got a whiny sound in his voice every time he opens his mouth. While I don't like my teams commentators to be homers, having the commentator be an antihomer is far worse. Strombo doesnt know hockey. At all. Healey (if hes even still around) is an angry little idiot. Hrudey is a flames homer. PJ stock is just a moron who probably took too many hits to the head. Hughson just doesn't have the same charm as Shorty when it comes to calling Canucks games. Scott Oake asks dumbass questions all the time. Cassie Campbell is Scott Oake but worse. Elliot Freidman is the only legit member of the panel.

Dope pregame show last night CBC.

"you got 5 seconds on goaltending"

"well I think that Eddie Lack is------"

cuts to game

forgot about kypreos.... i think that speaks for itself

They don't know Jack about the West.

The story line they love? Bennett...a rookie addition who wasn't part of the Calgary story this year.

"Ooohhhhh Bennett...he's so cute."; "Oooooohhhh Vancouver was interested in Bennett...but they didn't get him..."; "Look there's Bennett! Awwwwwwwww."

There is a hockey series going on over here CBC. Can you get yourselves out of the way? Thanks.

Who cares. It's a national broadcast not a regional one. The Canucks aren't exactly the darling of Canadian hockey markets. I don't think the national broadcast is out to get them but they don't exactly favour them either. It's not a bad thing though. For years the Canucks have been a better team than any other Canadian team in the NHL. There's clearly resentment from Toronto based media because of this. Nobody outside of BC likes the Canucks I can tell you this out of experience. I like the hate it means we are doing something right out here.

I'm finding, more and more, they get sidetracked with their idle chit chat that strays from the play. It's like a couple of guys making small talk at a party and they leave the game completely behind at times. It was noticeable in our last game prior to playoffs. I wanted to scream at them that there was a game going on.

I am over the whole slamming this/that..."it is what it is". I'm tired of whining (I've done my fair share) because it takes MY focus away from the game too. So I just set the bar low, like I did with my ex, then I'm not disappointed. Lowered expectations, it works.

Oh c'mon. The Oilers game was a snoozer and had no significance at all for both teams. I didn't care if they weren't paying attention to the game considering win or lose, we had home ice advantage. If the game meant something for the Canucks, I'm sure they would have paid much more attention to it.

I enjoy hearing the play-by-play. That's entertaining.

Because it's part of the entertainment package that the fans here want to enjoy. And since the playoffs are far more important to us fans than the regular season, I don't see why it should flip to a regional coverage when really we want to be entertained even moreso by pro-home team commentary. I believe this is what most fans in the US currently enjoy.

I feel that it's very entertaining and exciting for the fans to actually be riled up about their team, rather than to be soured by the out-of-town commentators we've grown accustomed to during the playoffs.

Dunno if you knew this but Jim Hughson used to work at Sportsnet Pacific and called Canucks games on TV and calls BC home so he is a passionate Canucks fan. Rewatch videos of him calling our series in 2011 compared to him calling other games that aren't Canucks. He is completely different in terms of how amped up and excited he gets.

Craig Simpson is the worst. He has a clear bias against the Canucks and hes got a whiny sound in his voice every time he opens his mouth. While I don't like my teams commentators to be homers, having the commentator be an antihomer is far worse. Strombo doesnt know hockey. At all. Healey (if hes even still around) is an angry little idiot. Hrudey is a flames homer. PJ stock is just a moron who probably took too many hits to the head. Hughson just doesn't have the same charm as Shorty when it comes to calling Canucks games. Scott Oake asks dumbass questions all the time. Cassie Campbell is Scott Oake but worse. Elliot Freidman is the only legit member of the panel.

Dope pregame show last night CBC.

"you got 5 seconds on goaltending"

"well I think that Eddie Lack is------"

cuts to game

See above. Hughson was born in BC and used to call Canucks games on Rogers Sportsnet for quite some time before moving to CBC full time. When he calls Canucks games, he's much more excited and enthused compared to Toronto games where he has to try to be excited. Everything else I almost agree with. I think Scott Oake and Cassie Campbell do a good job asking questions. It's just the rest of the crew is insufferable.

They don't know Jack about the West.

The story line they love? Bennett...a rookie addition who wasn't part of the Calgary story this year.

"Ooohhhhh Bennett...he's so cute."; "Oooooohhhh Vancouver was interested in Bennett...but they didn't get him..."; "Look there's Bennett! Awwwwwwwww."

There is a hockey series going on over here CBC. Can you get yourselves out of the way? Thanks.

You realize it's a national broadcast for all of Canada right? And Calgary is out in the West as well so your point on them not knowing jack about the west is invalid. Rather them talk about Bennett than Gaudreau. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Gaudreau all season long. We get it. He's a success story.

Part of the entertainment my god, what is this the WWE.

The playoffs are for all fans, not just the people of Vancouver

The Canucks are a brand of sports entertainment. And while yes, the playoffs are for all fans, that would include local fans here that are being served by this brand of sports entertainment. Point being, the playoffs should not be a different package that the local fans here are used to seeing all season long. Why should it? To serve fans of other teams? That makes no sense at all.

I think the norm for most sports franchises is to have local coverage being broadcast throughout the season and playoffs, and not perform a needless switcheroo to appease some archaic broadcasting tradition that has always misread the needs of this sports market.

Who cares. It's a national broadcast not a regional one. The Canucks aren't exactly the darling of Canadian hockey markets. I don't think the national broadcast is out to get them but they don't exactly favour them either. It's not a bad thing though. For years the Canucks have been a better team than any other Canadian team in the NHL. There's clearly resentment from Toronto based media because of this. Nobody outside of BC likes the Canucks I can tell you this out of experience. I like the hate it means we are doing something right out here.

Canucks fans should care, and do care.

The point was that while it is currently a national broadcast, the question is: Why continue that? The CBC and SN are a joint effort now, so I see no need for the current playoff broadcasting format continue as-is going forward, esp. with growing technological advances in the broadcasting field, in which multiple camera angles and audio feeds will be available to all.

I simply feel the fans here could be better served in the playoffs. So I hope there is change coming in this regard as well.

ps. I'm saying that Calgary and the rest of the teams out here should get their own coverage as well. They as well as us deserve it as big-time supporters of the NHL and hockey in general over the decades.

Archived