The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Corrado, Clendening > Weber

'NucK™

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weber was a liability in game 1, and I'm not just talking about the tape to tape pass he made to Ferlund for the game tying goal.

1. Although Weber is decent around the boards for his size, he doesn't have the reach to contain Calgary's forwards driving hard to net. Eventually it's going to result in a penalty shot, or someone running over Eddie. And you can bet that Hartley is only encouraging his players to do more of this.

Both Corrado and Clendening are more defensively minded and much better defending against such moves (and also have a longer reach if they are caught out of position).

2. Having Weber in the lineup just because of his shot makes no sense vs. Calgary. We can't rely on scoring from the blueline, and need our D to pass the puck around quickly, spread out the Flames, and let our forwards get the puck to the front of the net.

Both Corrado and Clendening have just as much playoff experience as Weber (sorry my mistake, Clendening has 0 playoff games), are harder to play against, and match up better vs. the Flames. All three are RH shots. Also, Corrado was only 20 when he played his 4 NHL playoff games, and was solid in his own end. 22 now.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this post, and I really do want Weber to prove me wrong, but if Bennett makes a power move on him tonight, I don't see it ending well.

Really hope someone from Utica will be catching a plane to Calgary tomorrow...

The powerplay was terrible until Weber got on it. If you want to give him sheltered minutes, dress 7 D and 11 forwards.

The real problem was the lack of finish for the forwards. There were 3 or 4 point blank chances where most should've been goals.

That second point is very true, it's as if all our forwarda turned into Higgins when they had golden chances.

Actually Weber wasn't doing that great because he's been singled out as a weak link by the Flames. He had not one but 3 incidents where he was taken out of the play and coughed up the puck. Calgary pretty much neutralized him. I would agree bring in someone like Corrado or someone that can move the puck and not get bashed around in the boards.

The powerplay was terrible until Weber got on it. If you want to give him sheltered minutes, dress 7 D and 11 forwards.

The real problem was the lack of finish for the forwards. There were 3 or 4 point blank chances where most should've been goals.

theres the rub

He's our best shot from the blue line for the PP. But is his defensive liability worth the risk?

He's not so good on the former and so bad at the latter that I'd dress an extra D just to sit on the bench though.

Its a gamble either way. A gamble that the refs will give us enough PP to make Weber worth having out there.

You do realize half of Calgary's D are Webers right? Yet nobody even attempted a power move or net drive on them...

Not sure how that's relevant to our D pairings...

theres the rub

He's our best shot from the blue line for the PP. But is his defensive liability worth the risk?

He's not so good on the former and so bad at the latter that I'd dress an extra D just to sit on the bench though.

Its a gamble either way. A gamble that the refs will give us enough PP to make Weber worth having out there.

Yeah exactly, it's a gamble that seemed to work out against most teams in the regular season, but I just don't think it will in a 7 game series vs. Calgary. Not only do they block a lot of shots from the blue line, they don't take many penalties either.

Also, with the way our PP has been going, wouldn't it just be better to improve our 5v5 play and rely on that?

I'm so tired of hearing the word "chances". That word psss me off to no end.

Not sure how that's relevant to our D pairings...

Yeah exactly, it's a gamble that seemed to work out against most teams in the regular season, but I just don't think it will in a 7 game series vs. Calgary. Not only do they block a lot of shots from the blue line, they don't take many penalties either.

Also, with the way our PP has been going, wouldn't it just be better to improve our 5v5 play and rely on that?

The point is if our forwards can't take advantage of a very small D group it doesn't matter what our pairings look like.

The point is if our forwards can't take advantage of a very small D group it doesn't matter what our pairings look like.

Well that's a very deafeatist view... we scored one goal yesterday right? So our D pairings do matter cause we could've won 1-0. :)

I'm not sure about the factual accuracy of the OP.

1. Corrado and Clendening better than Weber defensively? Clendening had better Corsi and slightly better on ice save% than Weber, but Corrado was worse. Weber had the best plus minus of any of them, with Clendening in the middle and Corrado the worst again. They all block shots well but Weber has the fewest giveaways per game and the best takeaways. Of course Corrado had more defensive zone starts and the hardest competition (where Clendening was sheltered even more than Weber has been) so I'd only say Corrado is better defensively than Weber, but Clendening not so much.
  2. Why would we just give up on scoring from the blue line as a valid tactic when we've actually had better success on the PP since Weber's joined it? But sure, lets go back to having 4 forwards and being relatively unsuccessful instead of keeping Weber there because of just one game.
  3. Bonus: and Corrado/Clendening have just as much playoff experience as Weber? Corrado's close at 4 games (Weber has 7) but Clendening has no playoff experience in the NHL. And Weber has 3 goals and an assist in those 7 games while Corrado has no points, so that tells you something about their usage without even having to look further into it.

And Bennett making a power move... Really?

Archived