The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Bring Back Zack Kassian!

Zigmund.Palffy

Just now, bad alice french said:

The Dillon hit was pure headhunting and Couture close to the same. Kind of reminds me of the exact hit that got him thrown out of the world juniors and I think a couple junior games as well (suspension?). It's actually what I was constantly longing for when he was here. I dunno. Loose cannon for sure. I just get so pissed at the officiating in the playoffs and I'm not a big fan of guys running around. I guess you can do that when you play on a tough team. Sigh...

Yeah, I've calmed down since I posted that LOL....I agree, it's the clear lack of consistancy that bothers me.  

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If management had any brains they would have put Kassian in Utica until he grows out of it, they decided it was better to trade him for Prust. How did that work out? 

Put Kassian in UTICA???

They player we traded 'our future captain' for? Yeah that would have gone down well with the fans....

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and Vancouver fans has in abundance of it.

He had off ice issues, which the club tried to help him with, but eventually gave up.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Zach Kassian was on a self destructive path.  I just lost a childhood friend the other night to addiction issues.  Pretty beat up.

He was never going to do anything but hit rock bottom and recover, or flame out of the league

A trade from one of the better teams in the league to end the season to the Habs who never played him, the accident to being shipped and stapled to the bench in Edmonton before being demoted by the worst team in league history over 10 years before the help he was getting finally clicked.

Zack is as much of a product of his own success as he was of his own failures.

If there is any fault or significant take away from this it is how a team like the Canucks that champions mental health didn't visibly do enough to help a guy that was screaming for help with every drink.

He's in Edmonton on a team where he is as much valued for his failures as he is his size speed and natural aggression.  He doesn't have to do anything but what he's good at where we wanted something else, something different.  I wanted so badly for Zack to succeed, whether it be here or there.  The guy seemed so genuine all the time and never held back.

Truth be told, Kassian, McJesus, Fayne and Russel are making it very hard to not cheer for this oilers team in the playoffs

Excellent post hippy and I am sorry for the loss of your friend.  Truly.  Same happened to me two years ago - a friend of 25 years.

so yeah.  I cheer for the inner demon players.

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It was one goal in one game. Sure, he made some hits too, but Kass is the same argument as Grabner. Each went through a rock bottom after they were traded to a new team and only then found their games. We had nothing left of value in him at the time we moved him and he was not a positive in the locker room in his state at that point.

Could have probably sent him to the AHL to find his game....

Instead we even had to give up a pick to move him for damaged goods..

Trader Jim dropped the ball on this trade big time.  Kass had  the toughness our team is so missing.... 

Really had a hard time with the trade when it happened..  Now it just looks terrible on JB. 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trader Jim dropped the ball on this trade big time.  Kass had  the toughness our team is so missing.... 

Really had a hard time with the trade when it happened..  Now it just looks terrible on JB. 

Most people can understand why he made the trade. Guy was partying all the time, snorting coke and not being a good pro. Its easy for people to look now and be like "I knew this was a bad trade" or "We shouldnt have got rid of him". Im just glad he conquered his personal demons and looks to be on his way to become the player, we knew he could be. Just unfortunate its not with us. 

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No. It looks terrible on Bergevin. 

By your logic it looks terrible on Darcy regehr too....

Or maybe it doesn't look terrible on anyone, but looks great on Kassian, for conquering his demons...

Sharks in 6

Kassian was a 'problem' in Buffalo, out of control in Vancouver and then continued his messed up ways in Montreal.

Once again, Edmonton lucks out and picks up a guy, who was ready for change and had what it takes to turn his life around.  He always had skills and is now able to be a consistent hockey player.  Timing is everything, isn't it?

Just another bitter Canuck fan.

Sharks in 6

Kassian didn't have it together or going well when he was in Vancouver. What was its effect in the locker room? That would warrant a trade alone. JB had to do something. Also, it seems like many people forget that Kassian would take a lot of dumb penalties at bad times and get drawn into reactionary things. He has strength but he didn't use it consistently in Vancouver. He seems to have used it last game. Good for him. He seems to be getting consistent and more focused on hockey. Good for him. He wasn't any of these things in Vancouver. I think JB was right to trade him away and take a shot on Prust. Didn't work out and now Kassian is working out in Edmonton. Also realize that he is playing on their third line and is only expected to be a third line player, nothing more. When he was in Vancouver he was expected to be a top six forward who would compete and provide scoring constantly. He scored seven goals this year with seventeen assists. Third line production. That wasn't what he was paid to be or expected to be in Vancouver. Would fans and management have put up with him taking that long to be a third line guy? No.

Good for him for seeming to get his life sorted out. However, the Kassian boat has sailed. Good luck in Edmonton and the playoffs and where ever else he ends up.

Good to see him turn his life and career around, even if it's with a team like Edmonton.

With that said, I hope we can make something of Jack Skille.  He's got the early draft pedigree too, has the requisite size/ skill/ speed needed to be a depth contributor and only gives up 1 lb and 2 inches on Zack.  Line him up with Gaunce and Chaput and we've probably got a solid 4th line with plenty of jam needed.

Let's see how much of an impact Zack can make at the end of the playoffs before we deem him the next savior of the franchise.

Good to see him turn his life and career around, even if it's with a team like Edmonton.

With that said, I hope we can make something of Jack Skille.  He's got the early draft pedigree too, has the requisite size/ skill/ speed needed to be a depth contributor and only gives up 1 lb and 2 inches on Zack.  Line him up with Gaunce and Chaput and we've probably got a solid 4th line with plenty of jam needed.

Let's see how much of an impact Zack can make at the end of the playoffs before we deem him the next savior of the franchise.

29 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Kass is no saviour of any franchise. Just a skilled 4th line player that can also bring size, grit and intimidation.  Exactly the kind of player missing from our club.

Happy to see Kass doing well.

Seems like the Canucks have loaded up on skilled perimeter forwards and  how has that worked for us.....

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You know the Canucks Pity Party is approaching last call when we're crying about losing Zack Kassian.  

Buck up guys and maybe channel some of that good will towards Jake.

The sad part is we traded Hodgson for Kass when we could have drafted Erik Karlsson or even Eberle in 2008 and been way ahead.

56 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I prefer Dorsett over Skille 

Archived