The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Bring Back Zack Kassian!

Zigmund.Palffy

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Jim likely could have had Prust for a 6th. Montreal just wanted to move his contract. He had to make it a 5th for Montreal to take our problem child off our hands.

Does this sound like a conversation a GM has with a player he actually wanted to trade for.....

"When  a GM sits you down and says, 'You're going to get one chance with me,' he's going to stick to his word," Kassian said. "Sadly, I screwed up."

Kassian says he wasn't surprised that Montreal didn't give him a second chance. Kassian had similar behavioural issues when he played in Vancouver and he says when he was traded to Montreal, Bergevin made it clear he was short leash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/zak-kassian-on-montreal-trouble-1.3434877

Btw, Prust played well here, like we would have liked Kassian to play, until he injured his ankle.

1 goal in 35 games... couple of staged  fights where he just grabbed on and looked disinterested...

Told the media that the kids had to learn to protect themselves...

That is what i remember.

Prust looked like he wanted to be back in Montreal with his celebrity wife....  

Thats how i remember it.

If he sustains this productivity with the Oilers,  Kass could be a poster boy for recovery in sports.  He could be a bigger impact off the ice than on it. But with relapse being the way it is all we can hope for is continued success and watch a great cinderFella story in the making.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

1 goal in 35 games... couple of staged  fights where he just grabbed on and looked disinterested...

Told the media that the kids had to learn to protect themselves...

That is what i remember.

Prust looked like he wanted to be back in Montreal with his celebrity wife....  

Thats how i remember it.

1 goal in 35 games is a step up on Gaunce. Prust did what he was brought in to do. At least until that ankle injury. You tend to see what you want to see.

The kids do need to learn to protect themselves. If you're going to throw hits you have to be prepared to answer the bell. Guys like Prust and Dorsett are there to go after those that take liberties. Something Gudbranson will do as well.

44 minutes ago, Baggins said:

1 goal in 35 games is a step up on Gaunce. Prust did what he was brought in to do. At least until that ankle injury. You tend to see what you want to see.

The kids do need to learn to protect themselves. If you're going to throw hits you have to be prepared to answer the bell. Guys like Prust and Dorsett are there to go after those that take liberties. Something Gudbranson will do as well.

Prust was brought in to look after the rooks.  He did not seem too interested in doing his part though.....  I was happy to see him waived.

55 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Seriously your gonna use Gaunce as a comparable?  Take those rose coloured glasses off lol

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Seriously your gonna use Gaunce as a comparable?  Take those rose coloured glasses off lol

At this point I'd rather have a pre-ankle injury Prust than Gaunce on our 4th line. If you don't have an edge or grit to your game you better be able to produce something. Gaunce providing decent two way play and nothing else. There's no rose colored glasses in that assessment.

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Prust was brought in to look after the rooks.  He did not seem too interested in doing his part though.....  I was happy to see him waived.

Prust was brought in so Dorsett didn't have to carry the load alone.

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Really? Cody Hodgson was out future captain? Where did you get this most informed info from? LOL

Yes it would have been much better than trading him for Prust. 

Got that from CDC. From the day he was drafted till the day, he was being sent to Buffalo.

Go look up the Cody Hodgson threads, if you can't remember.

And with regards to sending him to Utica. They sent Virtanen to Utica, who was far worse than Kassian, and parts of CDC wanted JB's head for it in the beginning.

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Got that from CDC. From the day he was drafted till the day, he was being sent to Buffalo.

Go look up the Cody Hodgson threads, if you can't remember.

And with regards to sending him to Utica. They sent Virtanen to Utica, who was far worse than Kassian, and parts of CDC wanted JB's head for it in the beginning.

Since when does CDC run the Canucks hockey club?   Sorry arm chair hockey GM's don't count.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wouldn't blame that on Prust - he just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to be able to sustain that kind of play for any lengthy period of time.  If he could, there's no way the Habs would've dealt him (where he'd be usefull for a team of smurfs in the post-season like the Habs) for a player that was damaged goods.

One time, he was a VERY effective player for the Habs.  Problem is, that kind of style wears down a body (like burning at both ends of a candle).

As for Kassian, I wish him the best of luck & continues to do well - so as long as it ain't against the Canucks.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

More than one goal in one game. I have watched Kassian ever since he ended up in Edmonton. Todd McLellan has done a great job bring him along. Played him 16 minutes some nights and 9 -10 minutes other games if he tried to much. Last night Zach Kassian won that game for the Oilers IMO and dominated the game in the process. He is the type of player who can be a big part in winning a CUP.

I'm not saying he hasn't turned his game around, just that when the thread finally gets bumped after one game where he gets lots of press (and Canucks fans have no Canucks to watch) it's the wrong reaction. He's hardly become Todd Bertuzzi or a premier power forward in any way like that suggests. The "if only we'd waited" argument is clearly flawed as well and Kassian needed the move (and the waivers and second trade that followed) while we needed to have a self-destructing player out of our locker room and away from our young players.

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Could have probably sent him to the AHL to find his game....

Instead we even had to give up a pick to move him for damaged goods..

Trader Jim dropped the ball on this trade big time.  Kass had  the toughness our team is so missing.... 

Really had a hard time with the trade when it happened..  Now it just looks terrible on JB. 

Find his game? He needed to find his life. Sending him to be around our developing prospects wasn't the answer either, and wouldn't have been until he was ready to try and fix things for himself before he could begin to rebuild his hockey career. I mean come on, it's not like he was just gripping the stick too tightly or shying away from contact or something - he was destroying himself from within.

44 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This.

the hits were legal.  

Oh look, the two guys I never listen to reiterating the intelligence of that position.

The jump and head contact was not legal.  Incidental leaving of his feet post-contact (which happened once) is not what I spoke of.

7 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Oh look, the two guys I never listen to reiterating the intelligence of that position.

The jump and head contact was not legal.  Incidental leaving of his feet post-contact (which happened once) is not what I spoke of.

Triggered.  

34 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

It's called a good hard hockey hit. The Canucks could use some of it, because they get tossed around like a bunch of kids. Biega has left his feet on a few of hits before, it's hockey it's a physical sport. Players like Kassian are exactly the type of players we need.

52 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It's called a good hard hockey hit. The Canucks could use some of it, because they get tossed around like a bunch of kids. Biega has left his feet on a few of hits before, it's hockey it's a physical sport. Players like Kassian are exactly the type of players we need.

We have a team full of guys that pick up opponents sticks after the whistle to hand them back to them.

A team full of super nice great guys....

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't blame that on Prust - he just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to be able to sustain that kind of play for any lengthy period of time.  If he could, there's no way the Habs would've dealt him (where he'd be usefull for a team of smurfs in the post-season like the Habs) for a player that was damaged goods.

One time, he was a VERY effective player for the Habs.  Problem is, that kind of style wears down a body (like burning at both ends of a candle).

As for Kassian, I wish him the best of luck & continues to do well - so as long as it ain't against the Canucks.

Honestly I'm happy for Kassian finally getting it together. But I honestly believe it wouldn't have happened without the 2 stints in rehab, getting traded for cap dumps twice, and clearing waivers. At that point he realized he had to clean up his act or his career was over. I wish him success.

As to Prust he wasn't worth his cap hit. Kassian was a problem child but had potential. I don't think Montreal wanted Kassian but were willing to take him for a pick and getting rid of Prusts contract. On our end they didn't want Kassian being an influence on young guys coming in here or in Utica. I didn't have a problem with that deal for that latter reason.

4 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

According to the rules leaving your feet is only a penalty if it occurs prior to conatct. Also according to the rules head contact is considered incidental when delivering a full body check, hitting into the body. Both big hits were defintiely hitting into the body making any head contact incidental and legal.

Archived