The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Bring Back Zack Kassian!

Zigmund.Palffy

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

According to the rules leaving your feet is only a penalty if it occurs prior to conatct. Also according to the rules head contact is considered incidental when delivering a full body check, hitting into the body. Both big hits were defintiely hitting into the body making any head contact incidental and legal.

Self righteous sour grapes > facts 

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't blame that on Prust - he just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to be able to sustain that kind of play for any lengthy period of time.  If he could, there's no way the Habs would've dealt him (where he'd be usefull for a team of smurfs in the post-season like the Habs) for a player that was damaged goods.

One time, he was a VERY effective player for the Habs.  Problem is, that kind of style wears down a body (like burning at both ends of a candle).

As for Kassian, I wish him the best of luck & continues to do well - so as long as it ain't against the Canucks.

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'm not saying he hasn't turned his game around, just that when the thread finally gets bumped after one game where he gets lots of press (and Canucks fans have no Canucks to watch) it's the wrong reaction. He's hardly become Todd Bertuzzi or a premier power forward in any way like that suggests. The "if only we'd waited" argument is clearly flawed as well and Kassian needed the move (and the waivers and second trade that followed) while we needed to have a self-destructing player out of our locker room and away from our young players.

I am not suggesting that the Canucks had much choice in how they ended up having to deal Kassian away. I would suggest, however, that his game the other night was not is only great game this year. He was not simply a 4th liner all season for the Oilers as some have suggested. He was moved up and down the lines. Kassian has speed, physicality and actually fairly soft hands. He still has upside in his NHL game IMO. But that is for the Oilers to develop.

A lot of my interest in Kassian is more a reflection on how my Canucks can develop players like Virtanen and how they will ultimately fit into a team dynamic and identity. The Canucks will under go a big change when the Twins retire. After great careers fans should reflect on what direction the team will go. Coaches during the Twins tenure structured their roster to maximize what they had to offer. It almost won Vancouver a CUP. Has the NHL changed? I suggest it has in a big way. Canucks have to change.

OMG!! Last night again! We need this guy on our team. This guy is the clutch playoff big time performer this team has missed so badly for so long. Whatever JB needs to do he needs to do it to get this guy back in a Canuck's uniform. He's a machine, total machine and he isn't here and that's an issue. Bring him back..........

Please note the complete and total sarcasm of this post. Figured I'd get out ahead of it before it started this morning after last night's game. Glad to see big Kassian is finding success but I hope no one really thinks we should have kept him or get him back. Let him be successful where he is and where is seems to be healthy and happy.

1 hour ago, wren223 said:

OMG!! Last night again! We need this guy on our team. This guy is the clutch playoff big time performer this team has missed so badly for so long. Whatever JB needs to do he needs to do it to get this guy back in a Canuck's uniform. He's a machine, total machine and he isn't here and that's an issue. Bring him back..........

Please note the complete and total sarcasm of this post. Figured I'd get out ahead of it before it started this morning after last night's game. Glad to see big Kassian is finding success but I hope no one really thinks we should have kept him or get him back. Let him be successful where he is and where is seems to be healthy and happy.

He's not coming back. Am happy to see that he finally got his game together, he always had those flashes of skill, but if we hadn't moved him, its highly probable that he wouldn't have turned it around. He needed the slap in the face of not only being moved from Vancouver, but then from Montreal as well.

Seriously, I am happy to see that he finally is starting to put it together, even if its with the Oilers, always liked Zack.

1 hour ago, wren223 said:

Never going to happen.  They'll slot him on a wing with Puljujarvi (off wing) or Drasiatl for the next 5 years and roll teams.

You'll have a better chance of getting Lucic from Chiarelli right now

I'm happy for him too.  Sure wish he got his life on track prior to coming to our club, but that's what happens.

As much of a beast that he's been in the playoffs, let's not forget that he only managed 24 points during the season.  That's not even close to what he produced with us in 2014 - and that in itself wasn't particularly amazing.  He's still just a 3rd line player... albeit one on a mission during the post season.

Great for Zack to have turned it all around. Still think it was the right move to offload him when JB did (as poor as the return was).

Anyone who didn't see the talent and potential with ZK was a fool, but so was anyone who tries to claim there weren't numerous, serious, valid reasons to get him the hell away from the rest of our players.

He might be a free agent this summer, maybe he credits JB with turning his life around and wants to come back? ZK and JV as physical presences (if they both meet their potential) would be amazing.

5 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Great for Zack to have turned it all around. Still think it was the right move to offload him when JB did (as poor as the return was).

Anyone who didn't see the talent and potential with ZK was a fool, but so was anyone who tries to claim there weren't numerous, serious, valid reasons to get him the hell away from the rest of our players.

He might be a free agent this summer, maybe he credits JB with turning his life around and wants to come back? ZK and JV as physical presences (if they both meet their potential) would be amazing.

Let's get Grabner back while we're at it.

Gotta love how Canuck's forum bashes a player when they are here and then when they do well on another team the people come out full force saying how we screwed up. Look at how many people are calling JV a bust right now in the Utica threads and I bet if he does well somewhere else, tons of posts will be about how we messed up. What is with Canuck fans and hindsight?  Not saying all but the majority of the people on this forum, I just shake my head and smile at their criticism based on hindsight.

Kass needed a change.  He needed everything that happened to have happened to be in the spot where he is now.  I'm glad for him.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:24 PM, elvis15 said:

It was one goal in one game.

Didn't he also get a goal the game before? 

I think it was also, ultimately, the game winner. I could be wrong about that.  

Edmonton has Maroon, Lucic and Kassian.  Between them, and each of them, is creating several opportunities a game with their size. Busting smaller guys who are deployed with an eye to matching up to the speed of Eberle, RNH and McDavid. Draisaitl is also huge,

The Oilers are becoming a well constructed team.  One of his (Kassian's) problems, our problems was he was the only guy like that here.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edmonton has Maroon, Lucic and Kassian.  Between them, and each of them, is creating several opportunities a game with their size. Busting smaller guys who are deployed with an eye to matching up to the speed of Eberle, RNH and McDavid. Draisaitl is also huge,

The Oilers are becoming a well constructed team.  One of his (Kassian's) problems, our problems was he was the only guy like that here.

Exactly. I hate the Oilers but they are building a very balanced lineup and most importantly adding those big physical grit players who can actually play the game and contribute when creating space for their skill guys.

Maroon, Kassian, and even Lucic cost the Oilers next to nothing but have been huge factors for them.

15 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yup two game winning goals so far for him in this series (along with tons of hits & good PK duty).

2 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Why would ZAck want to sign here when he's doing the best he's done on a team that's going to be in the playoffs for he next ten years, when we still have 2 of being in the basement. (I mean Horvat and Boeser are going to be our best players going forward...that's worrisome because every bottom feeder have players either equally as talented or better. Sabres have EIchel who finished top ten in points per game. Kid is ridiculously good. Not too mention REinhart ROR Okposo  Ristolianen KAne Ennis, Nylander. Canes have skinner stall teravienen, who. Detroit Tatar nyquist athenasou, Martha , Larkin. Coyotes strome, domi, duclair, jets have wheeler little laine, Colorado even has lots of good young forwards. Putting granlund and Bart hi even with the sedins in our top six isn't going to land is a spot.

we really need juolevi boeser demko alll to reach ceiling, plus we need Patrick or hirchier and then maybe in three years we might make the playoffs. Im looking at 2020. We won't make the ne t two years in 18 and 19.

As for kassian it especially makes bo sense since he can thrive in a bottom 6 role in Edmonton where as here he'd be in the top six and that's just not his ceiling. Like someone else said he's ceiling is somewhat of a chris Neil sens role with more of a offensive, clutch upside.

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Why would ZAck want to sign here when he's doing the best he's done on a team that's going to be in the playoffs for he next ten years, when we still have 2-4 years of being in the basement.

eapecially since he can thrive in a bottom 6 role in Edmonton where as here he'd be in the top six and that's just not his ceiling. Like someone else said he's ceiling is somewhat of a chris Neil sens role with more of a offensive, clutch upside.

Maroon is 28 yrs. old & is on the #1 line & scored career high 27 goals this year.

Kassian is only 26 yrs. old & is just getting his game on track. 

I wouldn't put a ceiling on him just yet.

Well Kassian is a UFA in summer of 2018, the same year that McDavid is up for his renewal. Not to mention they have to sign Draisatl this summer to a new deal. They may or may not be in cap purgatory in the summer of 2018. Depends what they do with other contracts. 

Meanwhile the Canucks will have the Sedins off the books at $14 million plus a possible Edler trade or buyout. So we should be in good shape cap wise in the summer of 2018. That's when we really need to spend the dollars and acquire some high end UFA talent. This summer won't amount to much other than giving BO his new deal. 

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yup two game winning goals so far for him in this series (along with tons of hits & good PK duty).

Man, you have to give Zack credit.  In Edmonton, he dropped weight like Virtanen just did in Utica. And now he has the puff in him to chase guys a whole penalty kill. And be effective.  He always had speed. Just could not go at full tilt a full shift.

So many stories, not all rehab related, of guys figuring it out and about 24/25.  A switch goes on, and the realize they have to do more than they did in junior if they are going to stick in the NHL. And they start realizing more of the potential they always had.

Good on him.

But it's also a shame. Imagine if he had been that fit, playing at that pace 5 years ago?  He would have had chances to play with better players. To learn, experience & do things that he may never catch up to?

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly. I hate the Oilers but they are building a very balanced lineup and most importantly adding those big physical grit players who can actually play the game and contribute when creating space for their skill guys.

Maroon, Kassian, and even Lucic cost the Oilers next to nothing but have been huge factors for them.

They also have Nurse on D.  And Reinhart if he ever makes it.  Some serious size for teams to deal with.  

Archived