The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Bring Back Zack Kassian!

Zigmund.Palffy

2 hours ago, afan said:

Kassian makes JB look like an idiot in the Kassian plus a 5th round pick for Prust trade with Montreal.

No trade to Montreal=no car accident=no waking up to reality=no reviving his career.

Lot of ifs in this one.

Bergevin must be idiot too to trade him for Scrivens who played for Canadiens what 10 games?

He was great against the Oilers in Game 2, that's for sure.

This is just one game though, and not an example of a whole resume. Sure, we could bring him back, but we have guys in the system who could bring his type of play plus more.

I doubt Kass ever would have became in Vancouver what he is today in Edmonton. He needed the culture change from Vancouver to Montreal to Edmonton. He got his $&!# together finally, and it's really paying off for him. Good for him.

36 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

He was great against the Oilers in Game 2, that's for sure.

This is just one game though, and not an example of a whole resume. Sure, we could bring him back, but we have guys in the system who could bring his type of play plus more.

I doubt Kass ever would have became in Vancouver what he is today in Edmonton. He needed the culture change from Vancouver to Montreal to Edmonton. He got his $&!# together finally, and it's really paying off for him. Good for him.

I really enjoy watching him play for the Oilers. He was certainly teetering on the edge of disaster.

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It was one goal in one game. Sure, he made some hits too, but Kass is the same argument as Grabner. Each went through a rock bottom after they were traded to a new team and only then found their games. We had nothing left of value in him at the time we moved him and he was not a positive in the locker room in his state at that point.

More than one goal in one game. I have watched Kassian ever since he ended up in Edmonton. Todd McLellan has done a great job bring him along. Played him 16 minutes some nights and 9 -10 minutes other games if he tried to much. Last night Zach Kassian won that game for the Oilers IMO and dominated the game in the process. He is the type of player who can be a big part in winning a CUP.

I found it interesting when the HNIC crew commented on how much time Stan Smyl spent trying to help Zach while he was in Vancouver. His off ice issues are well documented with alcohol. Losing his father at a young age and then leaving home to play junior hockey must have been a tough go. His off ice struggles were one thing but I suggest he had a issue on the ice as well. Vancouver sent mixed signals to this kid while he was here. Where McLellan put him on the 4th line and then the 3rd Line and gave him a clear objective of being an energy player with more a d-side game set him on a clearer direction. The Canucks had him on the wing with the Twins (how many young players in Van have had to endure that?) to expecting him to carry the brunt of the physical game in Vancouver. IMO it was setting him up for failure. Not only did it not work for Kassian but, to an extent. they tried the same thing with Virtanen. This is a reflection of how desperate the Canuck org was in a physically challenged roster.

Zach is not expected to be the total answer for the Oilers physical game. He dominated last night but had team mates who supported his game. Virtanen did not have that support and wisely Benning sent him to Utica. The comparisons between these two are scary. The Canucks lost out on Zach Kassian for more reasons than his off ice issues. When you look at the Oilers size, speed and physicality you have to realize how much losing Kassian set the Canucks back. IMHO the Canuck forward group is no where close to having the pieces or being competitive in a Western Conference.    

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

More than one goal in one game. I have watched Kassian ever since he ended up in Edmonton. Todd McLellan has done a great job bring him along. Played him 16 minutes some nights and 9 -10 minutes other games if he tried to much. Last night Zach Kassian won that game for the Oilers IMO and dominated the game in the process. He is the type of player who can be a big part in winning a CUP.

I found it interesting when the HNIC crew commented on how much time Stan Smyl spent trying to help Zach while he was in Vancouver. His off ice issues are well documented with alcohol. Losing his father at a young age and then leaving home to play junior hockey must have been a tough go. His off ice struggles were one thing but I suggest he had a issue on the ice as well. Vancouver sent mixed signals to this kid while he was here. Where McLellan put him on the 4th line and then the 3rd Line and gave him a clear objective of being an energy player with more a d-side game set him on a clearer direction. The Canucks had him on the wing with the Twins (how many young players in Van have had to endure that?) to expecting him to carry the brunt of the physical game in Vancouver. IMO it was setting him up for failure. Not only did it not work for Kassian but, to an extent. they tried the same thing with Virtanen. This is a reflection of how desperate the Canuck org was in a physically challenged roster.

Zach is not expected to be the total answer for the Oilers physical game. He dominated last night but had team mates who supported his game. Virtanen did not have that support and wisely Benning sent him to Utica. The comparisons between these two are scary. The Canucks lost out on Zach Kassian for more reasons than his off ice issues. When you look at the Oilers size, speed and physicality you have to realize how much losing Kassian set the Canucks back. IMHO the Canuck forward group is no where close to having the pieces or being competitive in a Western Conference.    

You've really got to hand it to Chiarelli as well. Edmonton was stuck in a terrible rut. They needed:

1. A number one goaltender
2. Forwards with size and grit
3. An experienced coach with a solid track record
4. An NHL calibre defence

Chaiarelli brought on all three and within a couple of seasons the Oilers. Talbot was a bit of a risk, and the price was fairly high (2nd, 3rd, 7th pick) but he got it done and Talbot has been solid. 

The "big" three have made a real difference for Edmonton. Patrick Maroon is a player I have always wanted Vancouver to take a chance on. He cost Edmonton a 4th round pick despite being just 27 and scoring close to a .5 PPG the previous two years (2nd line numbers in this low scoring NHL era). 27 goals and a physical presence. Sure they landed McDavid, but knowing what it took to protect McDavid Chiarelli went out and paid big money for Milan Lucic. Again he was still near his prime age (still able to contribute as the core reaches their prime). Big money, but exactly the type of player they need. Then they took a chance on Zack and put him in the perfect position to really turn his game, and his life around, in a low-pressure bottom six role to let him utilize his strengths. 

So these three players who transformed the Oilers to a young, directionless team to a young, fast, physical team cost the Oilers a grand total of a 4th round pick. 

And on defence, Chiarelli did what he had to do. Hall is talented, but the Oilers needed that cornerstone on the blueline. I still think they could have eeked more out of the trade, but in the end I think Larsson helps them win more than Hall. 

So, obviously just tanking doesn't work but being able to build around some prime pieces and fill the gaps, and sometimes it is the moves that don't cost a lot that can really make the difference. 

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

You can give much of the credit for Kassian's success in Edmonton to Kass himself. He finally woke up and realized his addiction was ruining his career and life. 

But I do agree with your points regarding his deployment in Van, too much pressure coming into this market to be the answer to our lack of physical play and lack of a scoring power forward. 

McLellan got to start off with a clean and sober Zack, and he did it right, bringing him along slowly, building his confidence and showing he trusted Zack with increased minutes and responsibilities.

But I doubt the same results would have been possible in Van even if they had done the same, just based on where Kass was in life at that time.

i am happy for Kassian that he seems to have beaten his demons and turned his life/career around, just as I am happy for anyone who has accomplished this feat. We Canucks/hockey fans have to move on from the "what ifs" and just appreciate that a young person is on the right track now.

40 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You can give much of the credit for Kassian's success in Edmonton to Kass himself. He finally woke up and realized his addiction was ruining his career and life. 

But I do agree with your points regarding his deployment in Van, too much pressure coming into this market to be the answer to our lack of physical play and lack of a scoring power forward. 

McLellan got to start off with a clean and sober Zack, and he did it right, bringing him along slowly, building his confidence and showing he trusted Zack with increased minutes and responsibilities.

But I doubt the same results would have been possible in Van even if they had done the same, just based on where Kass was in life at that time.

i am happy for Kassian that he seems to have beaten his demons and turned his life/career around, just as I am happy for anyone who has accomplished this feat. We Canucks/hockey fans have to move on from the "what ifs" and just appreciate that a young person is on the right track now.

True enough. I am not lamenting Kassian's loss as much as I am trying to identify an org need. Possibly also showing some worry about excessive expectations of a 20 year old Jake Virtanen. Totally agree that by the time Zach left Van there was little option left to the Canucks.

In full agreement with the posters stating how this organization was looking for one player, in zack kassian, to be our physical presence saviour.  If you look at the oilers lineup and the way they have played this series so far, the physical play is through committee.  

Zack kassian is only a part of the heavy play, albeit a main contributor.  

Last nights game exposed how far away the Canucks are from being any threat.  It's been said a million times: the regular season pales in comparison to the post season in the intensity and physicality level.  The oilers and really zack, completely owned that game last night in every level and it started from the hitting right away.  By the third, Edmonton had all the open ice they needed - something rarely seen if ever in close checking playoff games.  The sharks had no answer at all.

makes me want to puke in saying, but it's going to be difficult not to get behind the oil from an entertainment pov.  Great, exciting hockey.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

makes me want to puke in saying, but it's going to be difficult not to get behind the oil from an entertainment pov.  Great, exciting hockey.

My DNA doesn't allow cheering for the Oilers. I'll puke instead :lol:

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

In full agreement with the posters stating how this organization was looking for one player, in zack kassian, to be our physical presence saviour.  If you look at the oilers lineup and the way they have played this series so far, the physical play is through committee.  

Zack kassian is only a part of the heavy play, albeit a main contributor.  

Last nights game exposed how far away the Canucks are from being any threat.  It's been said a million times: the regular season pales in comparison to the post season in the intensity and physicality level.  The oilers and really zack, completely owned that game last night in every level and it started from the hitting right away.  By the third, Edmonton had all the open ice they needed - something rarely seen if ever in close checking playoff games.  The sharks had no answer at all.

I have no choice as to my #2. My son and grandson were wearing Oiler jerseys as we watched the game last night. :( 

There are orgs who build their rosters for serious CUP play and others who are simply desperate to be middle of the road. Benning is building a contender.

22 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

My DNA doesn't allow cheering for the Oilers. I'll puke instead :lol:

I know.  I guess I've just been jonesing for some exciting hockey and last nights game blew me away.  Was watching with a buddy saying wtf are we seeing here?!?!  Hockey at a whole other level.  Elite mode.

i was trying to find fault too. Defensive errors etc but there was none.  Their power play was incredible.  And their d owned their own crease - clearing everything out every time.  Talbot could make saves when he needed.  Very thorough,detailed game.  McClellan looked good.

14 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I know.  I guess I've just been jonesing for some exciting hockey and last nights game blew me away.  Was watching with a buddy saying wtf are we seeing here?!?!  Hockey at a whole other level.  Elite mode.

i was trying to find fault too. Defensive errors etc but there was none.  Their power play was incredible.  And their d owned their own crease - clearing everything out every time.  Talbot could make saves when he needed.  Very thorough,detailed game.  McClelland looked good.

San Jose did a good job of making the Oilers look better than they probably are.

SJ's PP looked like ours, just absolutely anemic. Even during 5v5 they could not get anything going, they couldn't get to dump in's, they where not supporting along the boards well, they where not taking the puck to the net when lanes where blocked and really while the Oilers had O Zone time, all SJ was really giving them where lanes where Jones could see the puck.

Both Goals where SH ( Again there is that horrid SJ PP ) and in a way against the grain of play.

The Oilers are not Exciting, McDavid is, and at time players like Kass, or Benning make some great play's, but its the fact that they can build off of the Energy that a Generational player like McDavid gives the team, until probably game 50 RNH and Eberle where doing nothing as well.

This year was McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot. Mcdavid was a part of 42% of Edmonton's goals FFS.

SJ kind of slept their way into the playoffs on the merits of their early season play, injuries near the end of the season didn't help either.

31 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

San Jose did a good job of making the Oilers look better than they probably are.

SJ's PP looked like ours, just absolutely anemic. Even during 5v5 they could not get anything going, they couldn't get to dump in's, they where not supporting along the boards well, they where not taking the puck to the net when lanes where blocked and really while the Oilers had O Zone time, all SJ was really giving them where lanes where Jones could see the puck.

Both Goals where SH ( Again there is that horrid SJ PP ) and in a way against the grain of play.

The Oilers are not Exciting, McDavid is, and at time players like Kass, or Benning make some great play's, but its the fact that they can build off of the Energy that a Generational player like McDavid gives the team, until probably game 50 RNH and Eberle where doing nothing as well.

This year was McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot. Mcdavid was a part of 42% of Edmonton's goals FFS.

SJ kind of slept their way into the playoffs on the merits of their early season play, injuries near the end of the season didn't help either.

Whatever.

last nights game game was awesome.

we could piss match all day about if it was a dominating performance that won the game or a team making the other look good.

in game one sj took over in the second period and never looked back.  And the oilers responded in game two in spades.  That is quite credible for the younger inexperienced team to do on home ice with freakin Gretzky in the house.

youre post has the tone of assuming I believe the oilers are this juggernaut team which I don't.   Playoffs are game to game and last night just happens to be a very impressive team performance in all areas.

and you are omitting the most important factor of that game:  hitting.  

If if you don't think the sharks were effected by the early barrage of hits you're being obtuse.  Sharks were hearing footsteps all night.  The oilers invested in creating their fortune and opportunities with the early physical play.

if you have watched this sport long enough you will know that quite often what happens in the regular season is largely different than what happens in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

That's not really that shocking.  Most top teams rely on their top producer. Especially the art ross winner

2010 Hank was part of 41.7% of canucks goals

2011 Daniel was part of 40% of canucks goals

2012 Malkin was part of 40% of Penguins goals

2013 St. Louise was part of 40.8% of Bolts goals

2014 Crosby was part of 43% of Penguins goals

Zach Kassian was on a self destructive path.  I just lost a childhood friend the other night to addiction issues.  Pretty beat up.

He was never going to do anything but hit rock bottom and recover, or flame out of the league

A trade from one of the better teams in the league to end the season to the Habs who never played him, the accident to being shipped and stapled to the bench in Edmonton before being demoted by the worst team in league history over 10 years before the help he was getting finally clicked.

Zack is as much of a product of his own success as he was of his own failures.

If there is any fault or significant take away from this it is how a team like the Canucks that champions mental health didn't visibly do enough to help a guy that was screaming for help with every drink.

He's in Edmonton on a team where he is as much valued for his failures as he is his size speed and natural aggression.  He doesn't have to do anything but what he's good at where we wanted something else, something different.  I wanted so badly for Zack to succeed, whether it be here or there.  The guy seemed so genuine all the time and never held back.

Truth be told, Kassian, McJesus, Fayne and Russel are making it very hard to not cheer for this oilers team in the playoffs

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If only the Canucks had a player like Kassian!... wait...ohhhh yaaa :(

Haha please read all the posts re his addictions. We didn't do right by him, but he didn't do right on himself.

Glad to see he has cleaned up and is starting to make a career.

Archived