The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] Are The Refs Really Against The Canucks?

Scorvat

There are a lot of talk in CDC's gameday talks about the refs constantly being against us. Now a lot of the time i like the refs calls, but sometimes i dont at all. Sometimes it really does feel like they are against us. But honestly i believe that is only because we block out the missed calls we should of been on th wrong end of.

I figured i would make a thread to discuss reffing alone in our games. To try and see from everyone's point of view if they agree with the leagues officiating.

There was a play in game 2? I think it was game 2. Anyway Dorsett was skating the puck into the Flames zone. Just as he crossed the blue line a Flame player lifted his stick and his stick went flying. There was no penalty on the play. After that the fans were chanting "REFS YOU SUCK". Now i must say that was Dorsetts fault for not gripping his stick. If that was us and we got a penalty i would be so mad! Idk how CDC was reacting to it. But it was a good non call. Just thought i would use this as an example of how we as fans criticize the officiating.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

The officials are not against the Canucks or any other team. There is a human element which means you can't be 100% and that's ok, it is what it is.

Just something for people to complain about, at the end of the day non calls and bad calls even out. I think the quality of officiating could be higher overall but not going to buy the " officials against us " argument.

Yes the refs hate the Canucks. They have a secret vendetta against the organization. They band together draped in robes in a candle lit dungeon plotting their next schemes.

Why am i now just hearing this? We must do something to stop this madness!!!

The officials are not against the Canucks or any other team. There is a human element which means you can't be 100% and that's ok, it is what it is.

Just something for people to complain about, at the end of the day non calls and bad calls even out. I think the quality of officiating could be higher overall but not going to buy the " officials against us " argument.

I 100% agree. No person is perfect. There are some calls that go against us that make absolutely no sense. But that goes both ways. We just tend to notice it more if it hurts us

The bad calls you see are sometime due to "game management". One of the referees was suspended because he talked publicly about this.

A perfect example is your Dorsett penalty. I think the Canucks already had 2 PPs before that happened and they didn't want to give them a 3rd straight PP. They eventually had to because someone on the Flames shot the puck over the glass.

That stick slashing play led to a scoring chance for the Flames. I'm pretty sure they would have called that a penalty if the Canucks hadn't already received 2 PPs before that.

Because despite what you tin-foil hatters want to believe, there is no conspiracy against the canucks... bad calls are made across the league, we just notice the ones against us more-so than if you were unbiased

It's not a full blown conspiracy, but a general bias against Canadian teams, just like the refs have a bias against Burrows because of his history (or do you think that it is all coincidence?)

Just look at the Flames get robbed a cup in Game 6 of 2004.

During the Gillis era, I completely, honestly believe that the Canucks were the victim of unfavorable treatment especially during the playoffs. I don't think a normal person could watch the Chicago series' from years past and say that the officials were being fair and balanced. They just were not, a lot of those games had the rink tilted 90 degrees by the officials.

That said, I haven't seen that level of outright bias in at least a year, I've even felt at some times this year that the Canucks have benefited from some questionable officiating.

I'm not going to speculate on why this happened, or what caused it. I don't believe in a conspiracy or any kind of mandate to hurt our team, but no one, with no amount of mocking or bull$&!# will change my mind that the officials held a grudge against this team, and that it dramatically affected our playoff chances. The plain, obvious truth is that something went on to cause a rift between the Canucks organization and at least a few selected league officials that most definitely hurt this team on the ice.

Yes the refs hate the Canucks. They have a secret vendetta against the organization. They band together draped in robes in a candle lit dungeon plotting their next schemes.

they do have an agenda with the cali teams.they don't care who wins in this series though.

Because despite what you tin-foil hatters want to believe, there is no conspiracy against the canucks... bad calls are made across the league, we just notice the ones against us more-so than if you were unbiased

I was going to say because it's been discussed ad nauseum over the years but the fact there isn't really a conspiracy works too.

Scorvat, Here's a sampling of threads over the years if you really want to know why people are tired of new threads on this:

PATHETIC refereeing in preds game!

Refs not even bothering to hide their anti-Canuck bias an...

The lack of respect for the Canuck Stars by Refs is disgu...

Loads of comments about the Refs being out to get the Nuc...

OK. that's it I lost it... Refs in this league are a...

Guess the refs missed that one...

Referees condition Canucks fans in exhibition play

Those aren't all recent of course - and I'm absolutely sure there are more (not to mention how many there were in 2011) since that's only ones with refs/referee in the title - but let's call it reference material for you. You're new to the boards and haven't seen all of these before and maybe weren't aware how many times it's been covered, but it's definitely been looked at from every angle.

During the Gillis era, I completely, honestly believe that the Canucks were the victim of unfavorable treatment especially during the playoffs. I don't think a normal person could watch the Chicago series' from years past and say that the officials were being fair and balanced. They just were not, a lot of those games had the rink tilted 90 degrees by the officials.

The SJ series was worse. I doubt you'll ever see a more one sided referring performance than that.

Archived