The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for advice on moving out at 18

Orka

I'm currently attending Camosun College in the Electrical trade and have been thinking of the idea of moving out doing my apprenticeship in Vancouver when I finish my course in the end of October. My plan is to continue my education at BCIT after I finish my apprenticeship. Does anyone have any advice for moving out and living on your own/ with roommates possibly? I know for sure that I want to move from the island to the mainland and I feel like the timing would be right and that it would make sense to do my apprenticeship in Vancouver but I'm just looking for some advice and opinions on my situation.

*The electrical program can be as short as 10 weeks long and after that you go right into an apprenticeship where you receive quite strong wages. So I will still be making more money than I am now at my current job.

*My parents are divorced if that adds anything

Advice?

Stay at home.. Live with your parents and milk that for as long as possible or until they kick you out..

The real world is overrated, you're not missing much.. You do the same thing you did at home, only now your paying a ton of money to do it.

Advice?

Stay at home.. Live with your parents and milk that for as long as possible or until they kick you out.. The real world is overrated

yes yes and yes.. Stay at home save your money and eat home cooked meals. Or your gonna be eating KD and cheap hotdogs for the next 5 years.

Lol everyone is different but I regret moving out at 18.

Any specific questions? I moved out at 17 to go to uni, I lived in dorms though where most things were provided. In my 2nd year I rented my own place with buddies. I don't regret it at all. Other people may say differently because it totally depends on your situation, but I definitely enjoyed the freedom of being able to do whatever I want (granted I like to party). Dorms tend to suck compared to renting, though, although I made a lot of friends that way, I would only do it again if I were a first year student.

Advice?

Stay at home.. Live with your parents and milk that for as long as possible or until they kick you out..

The real world is overrated, you're not missing much.. You do the same thing you did at home, only now your paying a ton of money to do it.

This :lol:

Advice?

yes yes and yes.. Stay at home save your money and eat home cooked meals. Or your gonna be eating KD and cheap hotdogs for the next 5 years.

Lol everyone is different but I regret moving out at 18.

This :lol:

This x1000...

I did the whole moving out thing during my first two years of Uni and sure it was fun at first... but the food, lack of privacy, etc.. really makes you miss home.

Advice?

21 and still at home :lol:

Well technically that is. Come and go as i choose, still eat moms food, no bills, living in the basement...lifes good :)

Like everyone says, stay at home as long as you can. You'll move out and realize all your money goes to having a roof over your head and you'll be forced live off KD and instant noodles hahaha. Lived on my own since 17, and I have zero savings to show for it. Yes you get unlimited freedom but pay cheque to pay cheque isn't fun haha Moving out makes you miss home alot, especially if you are moving from the island to the mainland.

I'm currently attending Camosun College in the Electrical trade and have been thinking of the idea of moving out doing my apprenticeship in Vancouver when I finish my course in the end of October. My plan is to continue my education at BCIT after I finish my apprenticeship. Does anyone have any advice for moving out and living on your own/ with roommates possibly? I know for sure that I want to move from the island to the mainland and I feel like the timing would be right and that it would make sense to do my apprenticeship in Vancouver but I'm just looking for some advice and opinions on my situation.

My advice is don't move out till you've completed 2nd year. First/2nd year wages suck. Once you pass 2nd though the money gets alot better...but I think trades wages down there are generally poor anyways compared to most other places. If you're young and free I'd go into industrial construction for electrical...you'll work all over the province and keep busy, but you might be able to make 50-70,000 in your first year. Where as down south in the mainland I've heard it's 15-18/hrfor a first year

No shame in living at home when you're 18, that's still more then socially acceptable. There comes a point in your life where you have to make a social sacrifice for your future career, whether it be not buying a nice car when you suddenly have money, staying at home for a few years to save up or what have you. Being super conservative with money after high school gives you a major boost to your social life and career later on down the road in your later 20's, that's just from what I've seen and experienced. Just don't become lazy and sit on your ass while living off your parents. (unless you're going to live in dorms at a college or university, then by all means go live the dream!)

Advice?

Depends on your parents really. My parents were proper Christian folk. So for me living with my parents and living alone were extremely different.

With that being said I did not move out at 18 and I saved quite a lot of money from staying home.

Advice?

I would say the opposite. I moved out when I was 17. Worked traveled school all of it. Staying home milking your parents is lazy and boring. Go explore.

Lol don't move out, you can meet, interact and develop friendships while still living at home. Why waste lets say anywhere from 800 - 1500 a month living on your own when you can put that towards a mutual fund and make money. Unless your living conditions at home suck, stay at home. Also if your close with your parents think of this, wouldn't you rather spend as much possible time with them now while your young? Once you get older and have a career your going to have your life which will consume most of your time, resulting in less time spent with your parents/loved ones.

Archived