The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa

BMorrison 7

I cannot believe JB signed him to this deal, turnover machine, falling down giving odd man rushes, I cannot stand his play.

No wonder Calgary targeted him, I am picturing him at the world championships or olympics playing for Italy in his Italian hockey uniform serving up pizzas in the slot, goalies worst nightmare, get rid of Sbisa pleasssssse

That's tough to picture since he plays for Switzerland internationally.

Back to the argument about his development though...While I know that plenty of d-men hit their stride at an older age than forwards, the issue I have in this case is that Sbisa has played far more games than some of the guys mentioned, like Chara, at the same age.

I cannot believe JB signed him to this deal, turnover machine, falling down giving odd man rushes, I cannot stand his play.

No wonder Calgary targeted him, I am picturing him at the world championships or olympics playing for Italy in his Italian hockey uniform serving up pizzas in the slot, goalies worst nightmare, get rid of Sbisa pleasssssse

According to Jim Benning in a recent TV interview, the Canucks stats had Luca ranked 5th worst on the Canucks defense for giveaways in their own zone. That means there are 4 other Canucks D who cough up the puck more than Sbisa. I would venture a guess that Tanev probably isn't one of them, so I bet it is Stanton, Weber, Hamhuis and Bieksa who are worse in giveaways than Luca. I don't argue that a couple of Sbisa's more glaring errors occurred during the Calgary series in the playoffs, but I wouldn't saddle Sbisa with such a large share of the blame for the Canucks failure to advance - there is plenty of blame to go around on the rest of the team. I would say that Luca needs to rely less on using the glass to get the puck out of the zone however, but that is something that the coaches can have him work on over the next year.

According to Jim Benning in a recent TV interview, the Canucks stats had Luca ranked 5th worst on the Canucks defense for giveaways in their own zone. That means there are 4 other Canucks D who cough up the puck more than Sbisa. I would venture a guess that Tanev probably isn't one of them, so I bet it is Stanton, Weber, Hamhuis and Bieksa who are worse in giveaways than Luca. I don't argue that a couple of Sbisa's more glaring errors occurred during the Calgary series in the playoffs, but I wouldn't saddle Sbisa with such a large share of the blame for the Canucks failure to advance - there is plenty of blame to go around on the rest of the team. I would say that Luca needs to rely less on using the glass to get the puck out of the zone however, but that is something that the coaches can have him work on over the next year.

I'd expect Tanev would be in the top-3 for most giveaways on the D and that's not a bad thing. The best defensemen tend to have the highest giveaway totals simply because they tend to have the puck on their stick a lot. Without looking, I'd bet that the four Ds with higher giveaways than Sbisa were Edler, Bieksa, Tanev, and Hamhuis. That's because those four handle the puck the most.

For the most part, the Ds with the "5th worst" giveaway totals on their teams tend to rank around 5th best on their teams (ie: third pairing types).

And if you look at the stats for any given season, you'll see that guys with the NHL's highest giveaway totals tend to be among the best players in the entire league.

I think (I hope?) that Benning actually knows all this but was banking on the fact that most of the people listening to his comments wouldn't, and would therefore be fooled into believing that Sbisa's relatively low (compared to the other D) giveaway stats were somehow indicative of strong play.

I'd expect Tanev would be in the top-3 for most giveaways on the D and that's not a bad thing. The best defensemen tend to have the highest giveaway totals simply because they tend to have the puck on their stick a lot. Without looking, I'd bet that the four Ds with higher giveaways than Sbisa were Edler, Bieksa, Tanev, and Hamhuis. That's because those four handle the puck the most.

Actually, Tanev is excellent for both Giveaways per 60 Min as well as Turnover +/- per 60 Min. The Turnover +/- stat is also a good one because it looks at takeaways vs giveaways. For Giveaways per 60 min, Sbisa is third lowest (3rd best) on the team and Tanev is 4th. Tanev is the best on the team in Turnover +/- and Sbisa is 3rd.

Bieksa is unfortunately worst in Giveaways and worst in Turnover +/-. I realize he adds heart and soul and grit, but he is not getting it done in terms of winning the puck battles and making good decisions with the puck. I think that when defensemen slow down with age, they become more vulnerable to forechecking pressure.

Player Team GP Giveaways Giveaways Giveaways

Per Game Per 60 Min

Kevin Bieksa VAN 60 64 1.07 3.07

Alexander Edler VAN 74 72 0.97 2.44

Adam Clendening VAN 21 14 0.67 2.41

Dan Hamhuis VAN 59 47 0.8 2.22

Ryan Stanton VAN 54 31 0.57 2.15

Christopher Tanev VAN 70 49 0.7 1.99

Luca Sbisa VAN 76 46 0.61 1.93

Frank Corrado VAN 10 5 0.5 1.92

Yannick Weber VAN 65 35 0.54 1.88

Player Team TOI Turnover +/- Turnover +/-

Per 60 Min

Kevin Bieksa VAN 1,249 -45 -2.16

Adam Clendening VAN 349 -12 -2.06

Alexander Edler VAN 1,774 -48 -1.62

Ryan Stanton VAN 864 -21 -1.46

Dan Hamhuis VAN 1,270 -29 -1.37

Luca Sbisa VAN 1,427 -32 -1.35

Yannick Weber VAN 1,117 -21 -1.13

Christopher Tanev VAN 1,475 -23 -0.94

Player Team Takeaways Giveaways Turnover

Ratio

Christopher Tanev VAN 26 49 0.53

Yannick Weber VAN 14 35 0.4

Dan Hamhuis VAN 18 47 0.38

Alexander Edler VAN 24 72 0.33

Ryan Stanton VAN 10 31 0.32

Luca Sbisa VAN 14 46 0.3

Kevin Bieksa VAN 19 64 0.3

Adam Clendening VAN 2 14 0.14

it be nice if you can provide a source.

It's actually pretty sad you don't know where to find basic NHL stats. Ever heard of NHL.com? Every other stats website get their numbers from that official source.

Oh I got your point. I just found it to be really bland. So I treated it with the level of frivolity it was worth.

As opposed to bringing up 3 all star dmen to compare to Sbisa?

First Sbisa isn't as bad as he's made out to be on here. Second he could still develop into a top 4 guy.

Speaking of dry and bland, lol @Sbisa being anywhere comparable to a 6'7 giant dman. That's a reasonable comparison...

It's actually pretty sad you don't know where to find basic NHL stats. Ever heard of NHL.com? Every other stats website get their numbers from that official source.

I'm completely of the opposite view.

Someone posting stats should give a source. Obviously he's looked somewhere and it is a simple courtesy to let people know where the numbers have come from. It really isn't that hard to cut and paste the source into the post.

As opposed to bringing up 3 all star dmen to compare to Sbisa?

First Sbisa isn't as bad as he's made out to be on here. Second he could still develop into a top 4 guy.

Speaking of dry and bland, lol @Sbisa being anywhere comparable to a 6'7 giant dman. That's a reasonable comparison...

Your opinion. Your the one who compared him to Chara. This retort was weaker than the last one.

Your opinion. Your the one who compared him to Chara. This retort was weaker than the last one.

I was merely stating he's a late bloomer not a future hof player like the batch of players you brought up.

You also have not addressed anything I mentioned regarding Luca Sbisa and how he's not as bad as he's portrayed on here.

I've beaten the Sbisa horse to death, brought him back to life and beaten him to death again. The real concern for me is how you can watch the guy getting absolutely bent over shift after shift after shift, then instead of taking him out or playing him less he starts playoff games!! It's f*cking madness.

Archived