The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

I always enjoyed watching players like Torres, Ruutu, Kesler in the playoffs...even old-time Bieksa.

This year I felt we were missing this high energy player. Like CGY had in Ferland i.e.

I can't remember a situation where one of our guys tried changing the momentum. The last few seasons we always "just" tried to score. No retaliation after getting hit. No bumps after a whistle. Not trying to get into other guys' heads. Where was our guy that try to stir sh#t up? We always try to be that friendly "no we don't resort to this kinda stuff" team. Guess what, I think that side is needed during the playoffs.

On the other hand, every time we tried that, WE got called on it (Torres, Rome, ie)...

still...i'm missing this kind of player. Dorsett was useless unfortunately (even though he played a good regular season).

As far as energy Horvat/Hansen line was very good, and Burrows seemed to be pissing off some of their players before he got injured.

1. Trade Kevin Bieksa

2. Trade Chris Higgins

3. Take care of some prospect needs at draft

4. Re-sign Richardson to a 1 year deal

5. Re-sign Weber to a 1 year deal

6. Re-sign Vey to a 1 year deal

7. Re-sign Baertschi to a 2 year deal

8. Re-sign Kenins to a 2 year deal

9. Sign Matt Bartkowski to a 1 year deal*

10. Sign Cody Franson to a 3-4 year deal*

11. Sign Matt Irwin to a 2-3 year deal*

12. Sign Mike Green to a 3-4 year deal*

* = if players aren't re-signed by respective teams, only sign 1-2 of listed players

13. Shift focus on to prospects, through the summer and how they've been developing

1. Trade Kevin Bieksa

2. Trade Chris Higgins

3. Take care of some prospect needs at draft

4. Re-sign Richardson to a 1 year deal

5. Re-sign Weber to a 1 year deal

6. Re-sign Vey to a 1 year deal

7. Re-sign Baertschi to a 2 year deal

8. Re-sign Kenins to a 2 year deal

9. Sign Matt Bartkowski to a 1 year deal*

10. Sign Cody Franson to a 3-4 year deal*

11. Sign Matt Irwin to a 2-3 year deal*

12. Sign Mike Green to a 3-4 year deal*

* = if players aren't re-signed by respective teams, only sign 1-2 of listed players

13. Shift focus on to prospects, through the summer and how they've been developing

get rid of VEY and Weber !

signing franson and Greene would be freaking awesome!

Matt Greene brings that physical play in his game

Cody Franson should be our PP QB that we are missing

Trading Sbisa and Bieksa and your are looking at some solid d core

Hamhuis-Tanev

Franson-Edler

Greene-Stanton

So much of this depends on if Vets can be moved and if players can step into bigger roles, I find it frustrating to even try and speculate.

Higgins and Hansen are cap friendly and solidify this team, I doubt they're moved this offseason. (possibly Higgins)

Bonino's contract is honestly great, especially if Horvat can keep improving and step into a bigger role. Bonino adds cheap, valuable centre depth. No way he gets moved soon.

If none of our winger prospects like Baertschi or Shinkaruk make it next season, the top-six is probably gonna look really similar, it's just the way it is. Unless someone like Burrows and/or Higgins is moved to make way for a free agent signing. Kassquatch needs to step up and make a name for himself in the top-six.

Edler, Tanev, and Sbisa are staying of course. Hammer should be considered as a trading piece but if he stays I definitely wouldn't mind. Bieksa also surely needs to be considered as a trade piece. (I'm still pissed at how he handled himself during the playoffs and how he couldn't back it up)

If they fill any Defensive holes through free agency they will aim for mobile, and offensively skilled I'm sure. It's really important they revamp this D-core. Clendening and Corrado deserve a decent look to make the team next year.

I think it would be smart to resign Kenins, Vey, and possibly Richardson.

I'm guessing the centre depth will probably be

Sedin

Bonino

Horvat

Richy/Vey

The wingers and their placement is more of a mystery.

The Canucks are constrained by some things definitely, I'm just hoping to see..

1. Some salary cap dumped.

2. Revamped D-core (2nd pairing especially)

3. Prospect pool filled out more.

he handcuffed himself by trading for all those waiver eligible players. i fail to see how clendenning, vey, pedan, make our team better now, not to mention markstrom as a third goalie with miller costing 6m to give up 5 goals for 2 more years. baertschi is probably good.

and it cost us picks.

matthias is walking for free, so luo netted us 800k less cap for eternity, markstrom who has no real value and won't clear waivers so nothing there. so a still elite goalie for nothing 2 seasons later.

team needs to explode

1) decide what style of play and identity you want your team to have. Fast and physical? Speed and skill? Our cup finals run gratitude lifetime contracts and roster?

2) rebuild according to style of play. Includes coaching staffs and players for big club and the minors. Whoever doesn't fit in with new identity needs to be replaced with people who do fit in with that.

Going to say the same thing. Then I remembered -- we just re-signed him for three years at 3.6 million.

More seriously, as tonight's game showed, we have three legitimate Ds -- Edler, Tanev and Hammer.

Weber has a good shot on the PP but has no business playing in the top 4 in 5-on-5 play. But neither does Sbisa or Bieksa. Sbisa is still young enough that he could improve and paired with a reliable partner maybe he can be okay on the 3rd pairing.

But the Canucks need two new right shot D's next year. Corrado and Clendening are the obvious possibilities although they are both on the small side. A top 6 of Edler, Tanev, Hammer, Corrado, Sbisa, and Clendening does not have a lot of toughness or physicality.

I thnk Bieksa's cap hit of 4.6 million next year is "dead money". He has an NTC but the Canucks would have a hard time trading him in any case. I see him as a very expensive 7th man next year once the dust settles.

But can Canucks buyout a Bieksa??

It'd be the easy, safe option to wait for Bieksa, Higgins, Burrows and Hamhuis' contracts to expire before replacing them rather than trading them awkwardly with NTCs, but I think Benning has to be brave and do the latter, at least get something out of our veterans.

I don't think the kids are ready to replace them just yet, but some are pretty close.

Higgins scored around 10 goals this season. Kenins can, if he continues to develop nicely, easily replace that.

Burrows scored at almost a 15-20 goal pace. He's getting old and injured, and will probably be closer to 10-15 goals next season. Shinkaruk is having a hell of a playoffs right now and I believe either he, Jensen or Baertschi are more than capable of sharing the load.

Bieksa scored next to nothing all season long but logged some big 20ish minutes each night. Corrado and Clendening aren't yet at that level, but next season Corrado could be playing 17 minutes a night.

Dorsett was, despite getting re-signed, a pretty useless guy at times. I doubt Benning trades him, but he again is very replaceable by say Gaunce.

If we can package some of those vets with a prospect or pick, we could get a very solid young top-4 defenceman in return, which is what we need. We need a future star defenceman and should pay the price of a veteran + pick/prospect for it.

Convincing bieksa to not play on this team next season.

If we kept torts we could have convinced alot of these guys to waive. With the deadline prices this year we might have ended up with 2-3 1st rounders for guys like hamhuis and tanev and at least a 3rd for juice...plus a shot at mcdavid with our own pick

It'd be the easy, safe option to wait for Bieksa, Higgins, Burrows and Hamhuis' contracts to expire before replacing them rather than trading them awkwardly with NTCs, but I think Benning has to be brave and do the latter, at least get something out of our veterans.

I don't think the kids are ready to replace them just yet, but some are pretty close.

Higgins scored around 10 goals this season. Kenins can, if he continues to develop nicely, easily replace that.

Burrows scored at almost a 15-20 goal pace. He's getting old and injured, and will probably be closer to 10-15 goals next season. Shinkaruk is having a hell of a playoffs right now and I believe either he, Jensen or Baertschi are more than capable of sharing the load.

Bieksa scored next to nothing all season long but logged some big 20ish minutes each night. Corrado and Clendening aren't yet at that level, but next season Corrado could be playing 17 minutes a night.

Dorsett was, despite getting re-signed, a pretty useless guy at times. I doubt Benning trades him, but he again is very replaceable by say Gaunce.

If we can package some of those vets with a prospect or pick, we could get a very solid young top-4 defenceman in return, which is what we need. We need a future star defenceman and should pay the price of a veteran + pick/prospect for it.

You can't take all the vets out and think you'll have a Cup team. See Edmonton.

assuming nashville plans on re-signing franson (they wouldn't really do that to shea twice, would they?), they have plenty of offense on defence but need a stable defensive minded guy.

hamhuis back to nashville (where he has roots, charities and so on) for either ryan ellis or seth jones, whichever they're willing to part with.

josi-weber

hamhuis-franson

ekholm-ellis/Jones

bieksa and linden vey's rfa rights to toronto for tyler bozak.

higgins for a 2nd, weber's rfa rights for a 3rd.

miller to say jose for matt nieto, 2nd, 3rd.

sign or trade for physical left side 2ND pairing defensive dman.

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-bozak-vrbata

nieto-horvat-hansen

kenins-bonino-dorsett

edler-tanev

ufa/trade-ellis/jones

sbisa-corrado

stanton-clendening

lack

markstrom

if any of the prospects look good enough in camp and preseason, move out vets (burrows, vrbata, bonino, even kassian) to accommodate them.

i'd ideally like to see cole cassels as 4th line center instead of bonino.

assuming nashville plans on re-signing franson (they wouldn't really do that to shea twice, would they?), they have plenty of offense on defence but need a stable defensive minded guy.

hamhuis back to nashville (where he has roots, charities and so on) for either ryan ellis or seth jones, whichever they're willing to part with.

josi-weber

hamhuis-franson

ekholm-ellis/Jones

bieksa and linden vey's rfa rights to toronto for tyler bozak.

higgins for a 2nd, weber's rfa rights for a 3rd.

miller to say jose for matt nieto, 2nd, 3rd.

sign or trade for physical left side 2ND pairing defensive dman.

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-bozak-vrbata

nieto-horvat-hansen

kenins-bonino-dorsett

edler-tanev

ufa/trade-ellis/jones

sbisa-corrado

stanton-clendening

lack

markstrom

if any of the prospects look good enough in camp and preseason, move out vets (burrows, vrbata, bonino, even kassian) to accommodate them.

i'd ideally like to see cole cassels as 4th line center instead of bonino.

Shink Gaunce and Baertschi will all be up next season. Our main aim must be to get two big defensemen.

Sadly I would part with Bieksa, Weber and Stanton now, and keep Edler, Sbisa, Tanev and Hammer.

Archived