The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

A lot of things need change, and i'm of the opinion that a re-tool isn't enough.

1. Looking like the Sedins are going to retire with the Canucks. As much as they've done for us, I'm against keeping BOTH of them. $14 million for 2 players that lack offense in the playoffs, fall off their prime, and retire at the same time is not good at all. If possible, trade at least 1 of them (on the assumption we get good value back).

2. Higgins/Burrows/Matthias: 2 of 3 of these players need to go. Higgins is a great 3rd/4th liner but obviously doesn't belong on the 2nd line. Burrows is way too inconsistent, aging, and doesn't bring the scoring power we desperately need. IMO he's not good enough to play on the 1st or 2nd lines anymore, and we have better, younger options for the bottom 6. Matthias... will he improve?

3. Sbisa: Makes too many defensive mistakes. Flames pretty much showed why he isn't good enough. He's only 25, but unless he explodes next year then I don't see him ever becoming good enough.

4. Hamhuis/Bieksa: Extremely disappointed with both their performances in the playoffs. Bieksa has been on a gradual decline for the last few seasons, but Hammer feels like he just... crashed and burned? IMO 1 of them needs to go, sooner better then later. Keep the other as the veteran to help mentor our prospects.

5. Goalies: Lack is good, but I don't see him reaching elite status. Makes a good back up though. Miller is aging and is only going to decline further next season. I know the defense was terrible, but giving up 5 goals in game 6 against the Flames was a pretty good indication that Miller can't be our starter for much longer.

Not to say everything is bad however. The team is currently a lot better then it was the previous season. Horvat, Baertschi, and Tanev are looking like core players for the near future.

Both Sedins have no movement clauses, love Vancouver and have played together their entire carrers, do you think one of them would be willing to waive their no movement clause to go play on another team? As far as scoring the Sedins led the Canucks in playoff scoring since 2011. The problem isn't the Sedins not scoring it's everyone else.

I love how we just turned on the team just like that. We went from loving them during the regular season to just going sour after a 1st round playoff exit. Reality check there's going to be 7 other teams exiting the 1st round as well and last I checked in the Western Conference all but the Jets were higher seeded teams.

Not saying there shouldn't be improvements and changes mind you. But when the regular season talk is that "Sedins are tough because of the abuse they take" to "Sedins are Soft" after losing the Flames shows a bit of flip flopping here.

A real disappointing loss tonight means the Canucks are the 4th team to be eliminated. I'm particularly disappointed because I am a displaced Vancouverite living in this hellhole called Calgary. This will be a hard week at work... sigh

Still, I can't help but be happy with the amount of good hockey we got to watch this year. Everyone told us we were not projected to be a playoff contender at the start of this season considering our prior one. In 2014 the Canucks finished with the least amount of wins in 15 season with 36. This year we bounced back with 12 more wins and finished 2nd in one of the best divisions in the league. Benning considers this a "retooling phase" and everyone knows there is a stop gap between the fading Sedin's and our next top point earners. Yet somehow Benning's rag tag team of depth players overcome the odds and beat out teams like the Kings and Bruins to get into playoffs. This is fairly impressive considering all the NTC's Gillis doled out, combine that with the low salary cap and I'd say Bennings job was a difficult one. He needed to wait a few contracts out and somehow find more depth scoring with out committing for more then a few years. Were all of his moves perfect? No. But I can't say he hasn't made this team a lot better because the record speaks for itself.

Looking at the other eliminated teams, it looks like we will be picking 16th or 17th in this years draft. This is good news because of the promise of this years draftees, and draft day is one of Bennings huge strong-suites. Time to get rid of some redundant players, draft some future talent and bring up the next in line and let the Sedins mentor our next generation of players before they retire.

The question is, what direction do you think Benning will go? Will he keep his position in the draft and make a few hockey trades, or will this be a year he unloads our vets to playoff contenders and aggressively chases down more picks and young talent? Personally, I believe he will either try to pick up more #1 picks, or perhaps trade up to a better position including our #1. Not sure what he thinks of this team right now TBH. I think he deserved a year to really study this team and think about who will stay and who will go. If we can take anything from last year, it's that Benning wastes zero time when the offseason hits. I expect big things from him, and I don't think he will disappoint.

Cheers

The loss of Kassian showed our glaring hole was the third line right wing position. Dorsett couldn't do it. So I suggest we trade some top picks and prospects to fill that void. Bump Sbisa up to the second pairing and things look smooth. Address nothing else.

If you guys think there is going to be change think again most of the players you want gone have no movement clause and unless they are going to a stanly cup contender they won't waive plus you need to find another team that even wants them I have a feeling that there won't be as much change as you guys think/want I just hope we resign Lack but I don't even think that's going to happen

St Louis Blues are a team we should target punted out again with ripe goaltending after being one of the favorites to go to the cup. Enter Eddie Lack a guy who has stoned them evey time he has gone up against them. Blues have some interesting pieces Oshie or some of their recent draft picks or maybe their 1st this year if Lack is packaged properly. I love Eddie but between Miller and Lack i think Lack is out in Bennings world. Miller would be hard to move given his age and contract.

I don't think they will see lack as a solution. They might as well roll the dice with allen

Almost every team has a no. 1 defender. We have nobody.

Canucks were bragging about their core bit their veteran experience did squat for the past few years. When the wings were a dynasty they were long in tooth but their experience showed in how they played- they elevated! This team only Horvat did that.

Trim the fat (NTC contracts and old vets)

Almost every team has a no. 1 defender. We have nobody.

Canucks were bragging about their core bit their veteran experience did squat for the past few years. When the wings were a dynasty they were long in tooth but their experience showed in how they played- they elevated! This team only Horvat did that.

Trim the fat (NTC contracts and old vets)

What? very few teams have a true #1 Defenceman. There are at most 10 #1 guys right now and even if you factor in future #1 guys theres what maybe another 2-3 so most of the league still wont have a #1 dman and then there are guys that are going to be exiting their prime and slide to a #2. It is extremely difficult to find a #1 guy that can do everything.

I love how we just turned on the team just like that. We went from loving them during the regular season to just going sour after a 1st round playoff exit. Reality check there's going to be 7 other teams exiting the 1st round as well and last I checked in the Western Conference all but the Jets were higher seeded teams.

Not saying there shouldn't be improvements and changes mind you. But when the regular season talk is that "Sedins are tough because of the abuse they take" to "Sedins are Soft" after losing the Flames shows a bit of flip flopping here.

Fans are tired of the same old playoff play, they want more gritty; back against the wall play than what they have seen pretty much the entire 40 plus years. Also it's unacceptable to be a top seed and get blown by a younger and lower less talented seeded team. Core has to be changed

burn the barn down

trade hamhuis, higgins, miller, richardson, sbisa, jensenat draft

trade twins with retaining 2 mill each

draft some dmen go with baerchi, kass, kenins, horvat, gaunce, virtanen, stanton, corrado, clendenning as young corr

um...no

St Louis Blues are a team we should target punted out again with ripe goaltending after being one of the favorites to go to the cup. Enter Eddie Lack a guy who has stoned them evey time he has gone up against them. Blues have some interesting pieces Oshie or some of their recent draft picks or maybe their 1st this year if Lack is packaged properly. I love Eddie but between Miller and Lack i think Lack is out in Bennings world. Miller would be hard to move given his age and contract.

Miller looked like he was searching for lost change in the second half of that game.

burn the barn down

trade hamhuis, higgins, miller, richardson, sbisa, jensenat draft

trade twins with retaining 2 mill each

draft some dmen go with baerchi, kass, kenins, horvat, gaunce, virtanen, stanton, corrado, clendenning as young corr

You would give Mike Milbury a run for his money.

Pretty much any rookie defenseman in the organization replaces him. Corrado is not gonna gaff the puck up the middle so There you go! Corrado is an upgrade on Edler!

Edler has no value to this team except to be traded!

The only Dmen that should stick around are:

Tanev

Hamuis

Sbisa - work in progress. If the progress doesn't happen then move him too.

Its funny that when we had Corrado and Biega filling in, we did not have the brain aneurysm gaffs that Edler and other veteran players like Bieksa and Weber brought in the playoffs!

The only reason Weber is here is because he is a poor mans attempt at bringing a Salo, Erhoff shot from the point. lmao

I would like to see next season:

x Trade/UFA signing

Tanev

Hamuis

Sbisa

Corrado

Biega

xxxx rookie

xxxx rookie

This may not be flashy defense but its not give up 5 goals a game defense either.

Edler can be packaged quite a few different ways to bring a very good if not amazing return for our forward group.

Let some rookies play next year. Freak they cant be any worse! And we don't even really know what Corrado is capable of as he hasn't played more than a handful of games. Bieksa, Sopel, Allen and Tanev all started out like Corrado. We could use another young developing Dman.

Obviously the Veteran Dman on this team aside from Hamuis is not the answer. So if we cant acquire through trade or UFA then bring in the youth!

Where was Calgary's All Star Veteran defensive core ? LOL They beat us in 6 with very mediocre defense. LOL

Wasting another season on our useless stale brain dead defensive core is just unacceptably retarded!

You are just absolutely wrong. Sure, Edler can force some plays out of frustration but without him this team would have been a lottery team. We have nobody else in the same hemisphere as Edler when it comes to seperating the puck from an opponent and making skilled plays. Here's a hint, top D do both of those things not one or the other. He was responsible for 1 Pizza against Calgary and kept Calgary's top line invisible for almost the entire series, while Sbisa was on for 3/4 of Calgary's goals. Get your facts right. The fact is with 10 more points Edler is getting Norris consideration.

Calgary's mediocre D beat us because they are fast or physical and our forwards are neither fast, skilled or physical as a group. It took 5 games to even get someone to go to the net on them.

Archived