The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

I honestly cant see what WD likes about Weber. The guy is a giveaway machine, soft, makes bone headed plays in key times.

But he keeps getting put out there not missing a shift in important situations.... :picard:

Weber didn't play for most of the season because WD didn't like his overall play. Weber started playing well in the middle of the season and he started to get PP time and the rest is history.

I hope he gets traded, I dont think he's worth bringing back.

About WD overall performance, definitely debatable coaching calls. However, he can learn from his mistakes here and this team is obviously not going anywhere until we actually get a second line.

WD has a contract 3 more years? Possibly we let WD ride out 2 years and move on to Travis Green before he gets poached elsewhere.

Sigh. Considering the fact that this core couldn't get it done under 3 coaches is less of a concern than the rookie coach?

Such.. Wow.

The core wasn't the problem.

Here are the problems:

Vey

Dorsett

Weber

Sbisa

Matthias

These guys were either no-shows or huge liabilties, and instead of dealing with the mistakes, Willie just keeps on playing them the same way.

You do realize the Flames beat Vancouver without Giordano and with basically 4 defenseman and Wotherspoon and Schlemko were barely played at all?

Willie doesn't shorten his bench, he doesn't change his lines, he just rolls the same ones over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Why have a coach? Just set the lineup and have a shooter tutor sit behind the bench.

He was told to adjust these things earlier in the series, but he didn't.

I am not going to give Willie a medal simply because the team wasn't a complete trainwreck.

Guys like Ferland and Jones, Russell and Stajan were considered either plugs or busts until Hartley coached them.

They sure showed the Canucks. Where's the big games from Dorsett, Matthias, Higgins, Edler?

I mean, if it were solely up to Willie Horvat might have been sent down to junior.

I couldn't give two craps about 101 points in the regular season, this team was embarrassed in Calgary three times. Calgary fans think the Canucks are a joke, and I can't argue with them.

I wouldn't argue with Calgary fans. I would wish them all the best and hope they get to the Stanley Cup Final........ and lose. Their hearts will break and I'll be happy then. Monahan Gaudreau Bennett Ferkland etc will also have their hearts broken and they will never be the same again.

The problem is not with Willie not bringing out our vets' A game. Horvat brought his A game. They simply aren't hungry to win any more. Losing in the SCF has profound impact on players. Unless you are elite like Crosby/Malkin or Datsyuk/Zetterberg. You don't recover.

The Sedins are the rocks of our franchise. I don't care what you nay-sayers say.

We'll see how far the Rangers go this year.

New coach.

Yeah, I like Willie and he's not an sandpaper coach like Torts, but he did a lot of nothing to motivate the Canucks during this season.

Sedins underplayed early on, no Vrbata with the Sedins when down late in the 3rd period, not able to manage the goaltenders in the series properly, lots of problems, penalty kill was garbage, Calgary was 5/18.

His boys Dorsett and Vey were no shows.

Considering there will be coaches available this offseason, it is a legitimate concern.

Easier and cheaper to fire the coach than the team.

Sorry Willie....but fans aren't going to be happy with a first round exit after a 101 point season. Not good enough.

You must be joking. Willie's coaching got us to the playoffs this year. Our players are crap

The core wasn't the problem.

Here are the problems:

Vey

Dorsett

Weber

Sbisa

Matthias

These guys were either no-shows or huge liabilties, and instead of dealing with the mistakes, Willie just keeps on playing them the same way.

You do realize the Flames beat Vancouver without Giordano and with basically 4 defenseman and Wotherspoon and Schlemko were barely played at all?

Willie doesn't shorten his bench, he doesn't change his lines, he just rolls the same ones over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Why have a coach? Just set the lineup and have a shooter tutor sit behind the bench.

WD should have taken advantage of the Lames really only playing 3 defencemen all series. he refused to play Vrbata with the Sedins even when we badly needed a goal. Stubborn stubborn coach.

1. Convince everyone to sign 1 million dollar contracts.

2. Stack the team

3. Host a huge business conference in Vancouver.

4. Let the building explode.

5. Now you have a loud arena.

6. Add stairs on the ice to the our blue-line so opponents have to run up stairs with the puck making it very hard to score.

7. Make the opponents blue-line and onwards on a steep downhill so we can score more.

8. Turn Vancouver into a global warming hotspot, so we can wear down our opponents like Russia with Napolean.

9. Sign a goalie who can actually catch the puck. Miller and Lack can't catch Ebola in Sierra Leone if they tried.

10. Bribe the refs

11. STANLEY CUP!!!

This totally made me LOL!! Let's do it!!

The Defence needs to be fixed whether that is through trade, in house, or in FA. Frank Corrado might be ready aswell as Clendening. I hope Bieksa will be traded (I like Bieksa) but maybe it's time for a change of scenery. Forwards are fine it would be nice to have a better 2nd line but the Defence is more important. Lack could be traded to help us on the backend.

There really are soo many ways this roster can go it can make your head spin.

Dumping Sbisa.

Going to say the same thing. Then I remembered -- we just re-signed him for three years at 3.6 million.

More seriously, as tonight's game showed, we have three legitimate Ds -- Edler, Tanev and Hammer.

Weber has a good shot on the PP but has no business playing in the top 4 in 5-on-5 play. But neither does Sbisa or Bieksa. Sbisa is still young enough that he could improve and paired with a reliable partner maybe he can be okay on the 3rd pairing.

But the Canucks need two new right shot D's next year. Corrado and Clendening are the obvious possibilities although they are both on the small side. A top 6 of Edler, Tanev, Hammer, Corrado, Sbisa, and Clendening does not have a lot of toughness or physicality.

I thnk Bieksa's cap hit of 4.6 million next year is "dead money". He has an NTC but the Canucks would have a hard time trading him in any case. I see him as a very expensive 7th man next year once the dust settles.

Same thing we've needed the last few seasons. A true number one defenceman. A second line centre would be nice if Horvat isn't ready but we're one D away from being a contender.

By few seasons you mean 45 seasons?

Jovocop was our best Dman in the history of our franchise, and he was a turn over machine.

WD should have taken advantage of the Lames really only playing 3 defencemen all series. he refused to play Vrbata with the Sedins even when we badly needed a goal. Stubborn stubborn coach.

If you think putting Vrbata with Sedins could save the series you must be high. Sedins had all the chances in the world tonight but just couldn't bury. Keeping Vrbata with bonino gives us a legit 2nd line. Had Vrbata been with Sedins our Team would have been 1 line scoring plus a crap defense. Flames would have eliminated us that much easier

Sigh. Considering the fact that this core couldn't get it done under 3 coaches is less of a concern than the rookie coach?

Such.. Wow.

This core couldn't get it done with the best statistical team the NHL has seen since the 1977 Montreal Canadiens. Maybe it's not the coach or the players.

you can't have 4th liners playing in top 6 roles. Either find bonfide top 6 and demote hansen/higgins/dorsett or bring in the young guys. Also need a drastic change on the blue line by switching out Weber with Clendenning, Stanton with Sibsia, maybe reunite Beiska and hammer and let them retire together, keep tanev and edler.

Archived