The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offseason Moves - What would you do?

Honestly, the odds of Hamhuis and Bieksa both getting traded are almost none. Even one of them getting traded is hard to imagine.

However, what could they get the Canucks? My guess:

Hamhuis = 1st Round 15-30 + low prospect (depending on ranking of pick)

Bieksa = 2nd Round + B Prospect

My moves:

1. Bieksa for 2nd pick + Prospect

2. Trade rights to Matthias (too bad he disappeared after trade deadline because he really could have done something more in these playoffs, it's a shame, he could have fetched Van something nice)

3. Higgins for a late 2nd, his time is done here

4. Brad Richardson, he seems more valuable than Higgins given this last season, could he fetch a second? Let's settle with a 3rd + 4th if not

5. Miller, we simply don't need him. He should bring decent in (knock-knock Edmonton)

6. Vrbata for a prospect + 1st

So what we have so far...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

______ - Horvat - Kassian

______ - Bonino - Hansen

Kenins - ______ - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

------------------------------------------------------------------

Give every chance for

Virtanen

McCaan

Cassels

Clendenning

Pedan

GAUNCE

JENSEN

to make the team.

Who cares where we finish? We matched up against Calgary and couldn't advance. Time for a change

Honestly, the odds of Hamhuis and Bieksa both getting traded are almost none. Even one of them getting traded is hard to imagine.

My moves:

1. Bieksa for 2nd pick + Prospect Would definitely do

2. Trade rights to Matthias (too bad he disappeared after trade deadline because he really could have done something more in these playoffs, it's a shame, he could have fetched Van something nice) He's a UFA, we wont get anything

3. Higgins for a late 2nd, his time is done here I would do this

4. Brad Richardson, he seems more valuable than Higgins given this last season, could he fetch a second? He's a UFA, he'll sign with someone else

5. Miller, we simply don't need him. 0 Chance we trade him he's a great goalie when healthy

6. Vrbata for a prospect + 1st Highly doubt we trade Vrbata but if we could fetch a decent prospect and a 1st i'd do it

I wouldn't trade Vrbata, he has fit in nicely here with Vancouver. Burrows is no longer a first line player, even though there is chemistry between him and the Sedins. I would slot him down to the third line to play him in a checking role, while providing some secondary scoring.

Look at how Vrbata did in the playoffs though, obviously he was unreal for us in the regular season but he didn't show when it mattered

Look at how Vrbata did in the playoffs though, obviously he was unreal for us in the regular season but he didn't show when it mattered

Without his 31 goals in the regular season, I doubt we would have made the playoffs. He had 4 points in 6 games in the Calgary series, which isn't great or terrible, but the whole team, specifically, the defence struggled to keep the team in it.

Also look what the dummy coach did by taking him off the Sedin line and putting Jannick Hansen up there. Jannick was good with Bo and Kenins. Such a dummy.

I would trade guys like Higgins, Lack or Miller, etc at the draft for picks. It would also open up some spots for maybe a guy like Jensen or Virtanen to play on the team next year. Don't know if I would do much more than that.

Im saying it now. Youth Youth Youth. This summer Id trade some of the core and Higgins " the glue guy " according to Benning

My Line-up to start next season would be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baerstchi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

( notice at least one or two veterans each line to help the young kids )

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Hamhuis-Clenndening

One of Hamhuis/ Bieksa traded. Im going with Juice

Miller

Markstrom

I wouldn't trade Vrbata, he has fit in nicely here with Vancouver. Burrows is no longer a first line player, even though there is chemistry between him and the Sedins. I would slot him down to the third line to play him in a checking role, while providing some secondary scoring.

I posted in another thread that if I were JB, I'd be willing to trade Vrbata to a team like the Habs (who desperately need secondary scoring) for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming 2015 Entry Draft.

As well, I would be willing to part with Burrows for a second or third round draft pick in the 2015 Entry Draft. Combined, Burrows and Vrbata clears $9.5M off the cap.

Chicago, with its cap issues is rumored to be willing to move Sharp and Bickell.

I would pitch them Chris Higgins, Niklas Jensen, and the second and third picks from the Habs (acquired in my imaginary Vrbata trade) for Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell. So essentially, I would be willing to give up Vrbata, Higgins and Jensen for Sharp and Bickell. Cap wise, we give up $7.5M and take on $9.9M (NET: $2.4M gain).

I would try to trade Bieksa to Detroit for Jakub Kindl (RHD). IMO, Kindl can give you 16 to 18 minutes per game, has size (6'3" 215 lbs.), and some offensive abilities. He also comes with a cap hit of $2.4M (NET: $2.2M drop).

To summarize:

Vrbata for 2nd and 3rd.

Burrows for 3rd.

Bieksa for Jakub Kindl, straight up.

Higgins, Jensen, 2nd and 3rd acquired for Vrbata to Chicago for Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell.

We get net $4.3M in additional cap space, giving us 17 players signed at little more than $61M (including Luongo's retained cap hit)...or conversely, about $10M to sign:

RFA Q-Offers:

Baertschi ($875K); Kenins ($750K), Vey ($800K), Clendening ($860K), Corrado ($650K), Weber ($900K), Stanton ($605K), Markstrom ($1.4M); McMillan ($660K) -- bolded counts against the cap for a total of $3.24M against the cap...leaving the team about $6.7M to actively pursue UFAs, such as:

Justin Williams, Matt Belesky or Cody Franson.

Let Richardson and Matthias walk,

Sign Slater who brings some grit and can win draws

Trade Vey and Higgins for picks.

Sign Ehrhoff and put him back with Edler

Let Tanev babysit Sbisa like he did Edler.

Flip Miller for picks and sign a guy like Neuvirth who can split time with Lack and save some cash.

Team for next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Virtanen-Horvat-Vrbata

Baertschi-Bonino-Burrows

Dorsett-Slater-Hansen

Kennins

Edler-Ehrhoff

Sbisa-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Clendening

Lack

Neuvirth

my moves or similar to maybe change a draft pick or add/remove in some cases

1) Miller to San Jose for 2015 2nd round pick + Rourke Chartier- We regain a 2nd round pick and good prospect

2) Chris Higgins to NYI for Matt Martin (picks may need to be added)- We get a Physical hitting forward we desperately need

3) Bieksa to Detroit for Jurco+ 2015 3rd round pick- We get a young NHL ready Prospect and a decent pick DET gets a RHD they have been wanting

4) Bonino, Jensen + 2015 1st round pick To Edmonton for Leon Drasaitl (Starting point might need to add)- Future #1 center that we should not be afraid to pay the price to acquire

My long shot deals

Burrows to MTL for Alexi Emelin- we need a physical Dman, Emelin had 204 hits last season Sbisa led our team with 159 and Bieksa was 2nd with 109

2016 1st round pick + Jordan Subban to Washington for Madison Bowey- Bowey is going to be a Franchise #1 Dman he has put up great scoring numbers in a physical WHL, His play style is suited great for a western conference team. where I feel Subban might get abused in our own Zone...If Bowey is not available try for Griffin Reinhart

I know our Fans have a hard on for not trading First Round picks but going with JB and the idea of trading picks for NHL ready players, I am all for acquiring the talent know then hoping we draft something that MIGHT develop into it

Potential lines

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Vrbata-Draisaitl-Beartschi

Jurco-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Richardson-Martin

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Emelin-Bowey

Lack

Markstrom

Future Lines 3-4 years

Beartschi-Draisaitl-Virtanen

Kassian-Horvat-Shinkaurak

Jurco-McCann-______

Kenins-Gaunce-_____

Tanev-Bowey

Corrado-Clendennin

Hutton-______

Demko

Very good outlook heading into the future IMO

Miller....................................Too large of Contract to trade...................unless you add cash +

Lack.....................................Great Trading Chip worth a low first/high second.............................Edmonton

Edler.....................................Great trading chip................he stays

Tanev...................................His play is great, his weight sucks.................he stays

Hamhuis...............................Still has large value....................................................................... Edmonton or Columbus

Sbisa....................................He could go, but overvalued................his contract says he stays

Bieska..................................To Detroit for a 3rd...............................Has to go, we need the room

Weber...................................he walks

Stanton.................................Great team player................................he stays unless packaged

Corado..................................Makes the team

Clendening............................Makes the team...................................unless packaged

Hank ....................................

Dank.....................................

Vrbata...................................He goes before the season starts........highest value before he drops in production

Bonino...................................Great value..........................Should be Packaged with our 2015 first for higher 1st

Higgins..................................time to go.............................value 3rd rounder

Burrows.................................to big of contract..................maybe Montreal...............................................doubt it

Matthias................................rights to talk to him before his contract runs out...............................traded for a 3rd

Dorsett..................................stays

Vey........................................stays

Richardson............................walks

Kassian.................................is he injured, does he other issues?.......................untradeable at this very moment

Hansen..................................stays........................Cheap contract..................great 3 and 4th liner..........versatile

McMillian...............................no value

Baertschi...............................stays

Possible Trades...........................................................................................................who the frack really know?

I don't do well on the trades........................but I would be willing to do is trade something along the lines of.....

Bonino, Hamhuis and 2015 1st (23rd. OA) to Colorado for Ryan O'Rielly

Hamhuis and 2015 1st to Colorado for 2015 1st (10th OA)

Hamhuis to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 2015 1st (15th OA)

Lack to Arizona for 2015 2nd + 2016 2nd

Any of these work?

Miller....................................Too large of Contract to trade...................unless you add cash +

Lack.....................................Great Trading Chip worth a low first/high second.............................Edmonton

Edler.....................................Great trading chip................he stays

Tanev...................................His play is great, his weight sucks.................he stays

Hamhuis...............................Still has large value....................................................................... Edmonton or Columbus

Sbisa....................................He could go, but overvalued................his contract says he stays

Bieska..................................To Detroit for a 3rd...............................Has to go, we need the room

Weber...................................he walks

Stanton.................................Great team player................................he stays unless packaged

Corado..................................Makes the team

Clendening............................Makes the team...................................unless packaged

Hank ....................................

Dank.....................................

Vrbata...................................He goes before the season starts........highest value before he drops in production

Bonino...................................Great value..........................Should be Packaged with our 2015 first for higher 1st

Higgins..................................time to go.............................value 3rd rounder

Burrows.................................to big of contract..................maybe Montreal...............................................doubt it

Matthias................................rights to talk to him before his contract runs out...............................traded for a 3rd

Dorsett..................................stays

Vey........................................stays

Richardson............................walks

Kassian.................................is he injured, does he other issues?.......................untradeable at this very moment

Hansen..................................stays........................Cheap contract..................great 3 and 4th liner..........versatile

McMillian...............................no value

Baertschi...............................stays

Possible Trades...........................................................................................................who the frack really know?

I don't do well on the trades........................but I would be willing to do is trade something along the lines of.....

Bonino, Hamhuis and 2015 1st (23rd. OA) to Colorado for Ryan O'Rielly

Hamhuis and 2015 1st to Colorado for 2015 1st (10th OA)

Hamhuis to Edmonton for Pittsburg's 2015 1st (15th OA)

Lack to Arizona for 2015 2nd + 2016 2nd

Any of these work?

You can thank Rutherford for gifting this 1st to Edmonton.

That one definitely won't work. Lack for the Arizona 2nd which 32nd is fair enough value, no way are they adding another high 2nd.

I think the Avs fan on this board will probably have a better idea of whether Hamhuis fits their time line. I am inclined towards to the negative here but I am not exactly sure on that one.

I would trade Burrows to Montreal since he would probably waive his NTC to play for them

To Montreal

Burrows

To Vancouver

Montreal 2014 1st round pick

Mike McCarron

trade Higgins to NYI for a second or third pick

If possible trade Mattihas for a 2-4 round pick

Although I would hate to trade away Bieska I think he would accept a move to Toronto get a 2nd or 3rd pick from Toronto

Depending on how we play next year and our ranking if we're out of the playoffs by a large margin trade Vrbata then for a first round pick to a contending team.

My moves:

1. Bieksa for 2nd pick + Prospect - No one is going to pay this price for him, if you want Bieksa out, it'll be for a third, or an older(23-24 y/o prospect)

2. Trade rights to Matthias (too bad he disappeared after trade deadline because he really could have done something more in these playoffs, it's a shame, he could have fetched Van something nice) Trading the rights to someone, even of high value, isnt worth much anymore, would bring a 6th or 7th tops, I'd let him walk, clear up a roster spot for one of the in house prospects

3. Higgins for a late 2nd, his time is done here - this one is possibly realistic, late second or early third should be doable for Higgy, and would actually be a good trade for Van as it would also clear up a roster spot for some in house movement from Utica to Van

4. Brad Richardson, he seems more valuable than Higgins given this last season, could he fetch a second? Let's settle with a 3rd + 4th if not - Nah Keep him around, he provides more assets to the Canucks then alot of people notice I think

5. Miller, we simply don't need him. He should bring decent in (knock-knock Edmonton) - Lack has looked good and I think could carry the #1 load next season, but there isnt a huge market for Goalies right now, yeah Edmonton likely wants one, but I doubt the return would be as good as you'd hope. Best bet is to swap Miller for another aging goalie who can play backup to Lack and a 2/3 pick.

6. Vrbata for a prospect + 1st - Vrbata will be 34 by the start of next season, no one is going to give up a 1st and a prospect for him, if your going to trade him its going to be to a bubble team for a career depth player and a late 2nd/3rd

So what we have so far...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Bearschti(gotta plug him in or lose him)- Horvat - Burrows

Virtanen(not his natural position, but give him a try out here and see what happens)- Bonino - Hansen

Kenins - Gaunce(now or never, give him a shot)- Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Corrado

Lack

Markstrom Stalock (Aquired in trade with SJ involving Miller and some picks)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Give every chance for

Virtanen

McCaan

Cassels

Clendenning

Pedan

GAUNCE

JENSEN

to make the team.

Who cares where we finish? We matched up against Calgary and couldn't advance. Time for a change

So, I start out by looking at who will make the roster 100%:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (15.75)

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata (6.75)

Kenins - Bonino - Hansen (5)

Dorsett - Gaunce - UFA/Trade (3.6+)

Vey (1)

Edler - UFA (5+)

Hamhuis - Tanev (8.7)

UFA/Trade - Weber (1+)

Corrado - Clendenning (1.5)

Miller (6)

Markstrom (1.2)

[+800k Luongo retained]

That leaves us $15m under the cap.

-----------

OUT:

Higgins

Burrows

Matthias (UFA)

Richardson (UFA)

McMillan (RFA)

Bieksa

Sbisa

Stanton (RFA)

Lack

Jensen

------------

Higgins for a 2nd (TBL 42nd overall)

Burrows for a 2nd (MTL 2016)

McMillan for a 6th (FLA 162nd overall)

Bieksa for a 3rd (WPG 78th overall)

Sbisa for whatever you can get just don't retain salary (WSH 143rd overall)

Stanton for a 4th (PHI 98th overall)

Lack + Jensen + pick for a 1st (SJS 9th overall)

Picking at the draft:

9th: Ivan Provorov

21st: Nicolas Meloche

42nd: Rasmus Andersson

78th: Tyson Baillie

98th: Jens Looke

112th: Erik Cernak

142nd: Matt Bradley

143rd: Tyler Brown

151st: Michael Robinson

162nd: Mathieu Joseph

172nd: Sergei Zborovsky

-----

UFAs

Ehrhoff $12m/2yrs

Hannan $2m/1yr

Skille $2.5m/2yrs

-----

We don't seriously compete next year, and do our best to trade up with ~#12 + assets pick to get a legit #1C

Archived