The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking to buy a car - What's a good website for comparing prices, ratings, reviews, etc?

Best thing to do for a long term investment purchase is to subscribe to Consumer Report.

We've had our subscription for years. So far, every purchase we've made using it have turned out really well. As for comparing prices afterwards, autotrader is fine. But make sure your friend does his due deligence throughout. Call ICBC to see if the car is a rebuild (avoid), etc.

Best thing to do for a long term investment purchase is to subscribe to Consumer Report.

We've had our subscription for years. So far, every purchase we've made using it have turned out really well. As for comparing prices afterwards, autotrader is fine. But make sure your friend does his due deligence throughout. Call ICBC to see if the car is a rebuild (avoid), etc.

He'll be buying a certified used car from the original dealer. So if he wants to buy a used Ford, he'll go to Ford dealer, or buy a used Toyota at a Toyota dealer... you know what I mean. Although I'll still check and see if it's a rebuild.

Your best bet is to actually go out and physically see and test drive what you like to narrow down the options.

Autotrader.ca is good for comparing prices in your local area

CanadianBlackBook.com is good to check rough estimates on the value of vehicles given the market.

If you want you can message me and I can help you further with information as I am in the industry.

Consumer reports. For both new and used their level of detail and their buyers guides are without equal. You have to pay for it but for a 20 to 30 thousand dollar car purchase its the best money you can spend.

2011 BMW 3 series are now well under 20K. With low mileage. When the redesign came out in 2012 the 2011s prices dropped like a stone and are now one of the most undervalued cars out there. Your not gonna get hybrid mileage but they are a nice ride. 323i . Lots of them available.

EDIT: Get the Carproof report on any used vehicle. If it had damage claimed through ICBC or had ever been stolen along with its entire ownership history will be in that report. Any reputable dealer will make this available to you. If they wont, theres a reason. Make sure the reports VIN number matches the car you are looking at.

I just bought a new car and there are only a select few names I will buy.

Mostly what I did was test drive ++. Also, I asked people I trust about their experiences with certain cars over the years. ie: family members have had mazdas and Hondas for decades with absolutely no problems where lots of people I know have had the worst experiences with Hyundais etc.

Reliability is #1 for me. It needs to just work. All the time.

I also obviously look at safety, price, looks, resale value, gas mileage, trunk space, fun-to-drive-ness, etc.

I youtubed reviews a lot and read through consumer reports. I also looked up resale values on Kelly blue book to see how much a 2013 or 2014 was going for to see how much my 2016 would depreciate.

Archived