The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins can produce but we need a power forward on their line

Billy18

If Benning comes back next season without, at least, a blueprint of a new first line, this team will fall flat.

The Sedins, as smart as they are, aren't first line material at 35 years old. That's a recipe for failure. They need to assume second line duties and have Horvat become the No. 1 center.

This team and fan base need to grow up and accept the fact that the Sedins must be relegated to second line minutes in which they'll succeed. Gillis &^@#ed up by giving them 7 M per season, but they'd easily be the best second line (with whomever plays with them) in the NHL.

I think the Twins are absolutely phenomenal. But it's time they step aside from the leadership role. I'd actually prefer them to become Line #2.

This team needs leadership with edge. The calm/collected gig has gone on for far too long with no results.

Canucks aren't second line players. They were both in the top 15 in NHL scoring and Daniel was tied for 3rd in points in the Western Conference. It's unbelievable that people want the Sedins on our second line. Who is going to be on our first line? Crosby? The Canucks aren't some National team or the NHL all-star team. The Sedins are legitimate first liners in the NHL.

What the Canucks need isn't the Sedins on the second line. We need secondary scoring. Behind the Sedins we don't have much secondary scoring. Any team that has guys like Higgins in the top six is not going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Look at what happened to our second line in the playoffs. Vrbata was great this year but he completely disappeared in the playoffs and the only shots he took were harmless shots from the perimeter. Bonino was nowhere to be seen except for that one goal in Game 5. Higgins disappeared with Bonino. You can't win in the playoffs with a nonexistent second line.

I don't want to hate on Willie here but some of his decisions were just :picard: . Horvat was generating offence left and right and the Sedins were attacking the flames in waves but Willie always seemed to favour Richardson's line in the offensive zone. I remember in game 4 there were 3 Calgary icing calls in a row and he puts out Richardson's line all three times?! 2 minutes left in game 4 and 6 and Richardson is out there??! The playoffs isn't time to roll four lines...

Exactly kassian with the sedins Bo between sven and verbata then bonino with Virtanin and Hansen then finally Cassels with Dorsset and Kenis.........Young talented coach will have to have patients but give them time to jell and have Vey and Mcann on the side

Blunt.....if Benning comes back with a blueprint?

Are you kidding me? That's how he got the job a year ago. He has a blueprint.

What is his idea for the first line then, Einstein? Some of you greenhorns need to shut the &^@# up unless you have something substantial to contribute with.

How do people say that the Sedins are not first line players when they are both top 15 in scoring.. there are 30 teams in the league, so to have TWO players in the top 15 must mean they are pretty good. There are 30 number one lines in the league, and if you do that math you can identify that indeed, they are at the top end of those first lines.

Also, Qadri - that is hilarious

Canucks aren't second line players. They were both in the top 15 in NHL scoring and Daniel was tied for 3rd in points in the Western Conference. It's unbelievable that people want the Sedins on our second line. Who is going to be on our first line? Crosby? The Canucks aren't some National team or the NHL all-star team. The Sedins are legitimate first liners in the NHL.

What the Canucks need isn't the Sedins on the second line. We need secondary scoring. Behind the Sedins we don't have much secondary scoring. Any team that has guys like Higgins in the top six is not going to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Look at what happened to our second line in the playoffs. Vrbata was great this year but he completely disappeared in the playoffs and the only shots he took were harmless shots from the perimeter. Bonino was nowhere to be seen except for that one goal in Game 5. Higgins disappeared with Bonino. You can't win in the playoffs with a nonexistent second line.

I don't want to hate on Willie here but some of his decisions were just :picard: . Horvat was generating offence left and right and the Sedins were attacking the flames in waves but Willie always seemed to favour Richardson's line in the offensive zone. I remember in game 4 there were 3 Calgary icing calls in a row and he puts out Richardson's line all three times?! 2 minutes left in game 4 and 6 and Richardson is out there??! The playoffs isn't time to roll four lines...

The Sedins will be 35 next year. They will not have the physical capabilities to match other teams first lines.

They are brilliant, no doubt. Time, however, doesn't care.

It isn't a knock on them as people or players. Merely stating a fact that age is, has, and will always be a factor

I think the biggest struggle will be molding the team around them for another 5 years and finding the right spot for them in our lineup for the future. They still have a handful of years left in them at least.

Just remember after 1994 and until 2010, with all the strong good players we had...Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi... etc The Sedins as our first line got us to the Stanley cup final... They are disrespected so much in the league becuz they're not physical enough but the magical chemistry they have and what they are capable of doing is not easy to replace... I do agree that we need more energy on their line... we really need a strong presence in front of the opponents net to take full advantage of the Sedins and the chances they can create after making the opponents spin in circles...

At the moment I think they're the best option to stay in the first line.. I love Bo but I don't think he's ready yet for the first line role, hopefully in a few years though

The PF (Kass/ Virtanen/ Lucic?) is definitely an important piece, but another important element is getting Danny back into his scorer form. Since Keith's hit in 2012, his goal-scoring % has declined from nearly 13% to 8%, below Vrbata's, for instance, who shot at around 11% this season. Given how both guys are around the same age (Danny's around 9 months older than Radim), I don't think you could say that Danny declined too much more than Redeemer to bring about this result. Maybe it's led to Danny passing more, I don't know?

But what I do know is that without him as a top-level scorer, the offense from the top guys goes down considerably, and without the top guys leading the charge the other units would have to step up more consistently. The team would be more dangerous with two 30-goal scorers and a bunch of 10+ goal scorers compared with only one 30+ scorer, and I believe Danny could still have that in him should he choose to shoot more. With Hank as the primary play-maker and Danny also a threat to shoot more often (though he could revert to passing again) the first line would be more versatile and dangerous, as it would be with a legit PF opening up space for them.

I think the Twins are absolutely phenomenal. But it's time they step aside from the leadership role. I'd actually prefer them to become Line #2.

This team needs leadership with edge. The calm/collected gig has gone on for far too long with no results.

As much as we want that, it'd be absolutely expensive to acquire and have available in the short term (Horvat likely doesn't have that upside in terms of production at least until he hits his prime, and to other studs would have to either come through the draft, massive trades or FA). The Twins are the big-money guys for a reason, and adding the PF should address the weakness that comes from playing the calm game (hence the thread).

70pt players don't play on line 2 when there isn't anyone to produce even close to that amount....u can get edge and leadership from other lines..

If Benning comes back next season without, at least, a blueprint of a new first line, this team will fall flat.

The Sedins, as smart as they are, aren't first line material at 35 years old. That's a recipe for failure. They need to assume second line duties and have Horvat become the No. 1 center.

This team and fan base need to grow up and accept the fact that the Sedins must be relegated to second line minutes in which they'll succeed. Gillis fracked up by giving them 7 M per season, but they'd easily be the best second line (with whomever plays with them) in the NHL.

Ok, so you call them the second line and play them second line minutes, but that doesn't make them 'second-liners'. Who do you put with Horvat on the first line? The Sedins will outscore the 'first line' and be a 'second line' in name only. Makes sense.

The twins gotta go, this team needs a rebuild weather it be convincing these guys to retire or get knocked out in the first round every year.

As others have pointed out, the twins just finished the season in the top 15 (actually, Daniel was tied for 8th, Henrik tied for 10th)

in NHL points. They would've been even higher had Vrbata played with them the whole season. Does this look like they're ready to retire? Get a clue.

What is his idea for the first line then, Einstein? Some of you greenhorns need to shut the frack up unless you have something substantial to contribute with.

Its been said already and some folk may have bad hearing.

The Sedins were top 20 in the league scorers this year. That is still top line material?

Lucic for Horvat. Done.

This was not popular in your other dedicated thread on the subject.

reckon taking the concept on the road will help momentum?

Lucic is a free agent in a year. No way in hell I am giving up Horvat for him. Nor does Lucic get us over the top atm.

I personally like Lucic. Would like to sign him when he becomes a free agent. But not at $6 mill and not giving up Horvat.

Archived