The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trust me, build from within... Youth Youth Youth

Outsiders

I know we all want to go out and get Cody Franson or Mike Green to help with our PP. Or go make a trade with EDM for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or phone CLB asking what its gonna cost for our BC boy Ryan Johansen. Thats all easier said than done. You guys want Green? Ok well Benning is gonna have to pay 6+ million or 5+ million for Franson, then we all know we are gonna call him the biggest IDIOT on the planet paying that much.

When the truth is we aren't going to become instant contenders over night by signing one of them. Or trading for RNH or Johansen because we will be paying Horvat++ .

We need to build from within and give the guys we have a shot. If we need to trade core guys so be it.

We need to trade the guys that are dead weight and that could get us a pick or 2.

The key is to be patience with the young guys we are going to go through growing pains

All players gone from the line-up are traded I'm not gonna say to where and for how much because this is not a proposal.

My build from within lineup of 2015 ( BOLDED players are players with 82 or less NHL games under there belt)

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Each player with 82 or Less games has a mentor on their line to help them out

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Pedan-Bieksa

Miller

Lack

That line up is horrible lol.. Sure it looks fine on paper, but we would get rekted on a constant basis more so than we have now..

You can't just insert a bunch of rookies that barely have any experience.

We need defense and will have to pony up to acquire someone with experience and veteran leadership..

I would prefer if we swapped an ageing Bieksa for someone like Mike Green, etc..

The price to acquire might be low if Washington is out of playoffs too..

That line up is horrible lol.. Sure it looks fine on paper, but we would get rekted on a constant basis more so than we have now..

You can't just insert a bunch of rookies that barely have any experience.

We need defense and will have to pony up to acquire someone with experience and veteran leadership..

I would prefer if we swapped an ageing Bieksa for someone like Mike Green, etc..

The price to acquire might be low if Washington is out of playoffs too..

Rookies who barely have any experience is the Calgary Flames in a nut shell, and we just got beat by them in 6 games. So putting in rookies isn't a bad idea. I like the OP's lineup, and it would make for an extremely exciting season. But as you said, I wouldn't mind a big UFA signing for the back end. We could use Green's offence.

Also, I think Virtanen would have a better shot at cracking the lineup than McCann, but I guess we'll see.

Jake Virtanen is a right winger and as of now we are stacked on the right side. At center position, I would put Gaunce and Cassels ahead of McCann. In the future, McCann may become the better player, but right now, Gaunce and Cassels are more NHL-ready than McCann is.

I could see trying to sign Soderburg or Vermette which would be a huge upgrade over Bonino, but in a competitive market I'd rather see us not overpay for a UFA. I actually don't mind this team as it is, (and good luck moving anyone on defense other than Weber)

JB is an excellent scout apparently, but scouting is usually something that pays off over several seasons, so I could see more of a slow gradual soft rebuild. The twins are going to get us into the playoffs anyways; you couldn't ask for a better setting actually for our rising stars.

I know we all want to go out and get Cody Franson or Mike Green to help with our PP. Or go make a trade with EDM for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or phone CLB asking what its gonna cost for our BC boy Ryan Johansen. Thats all easier said than done. You guys want Green? Ok well Benning is gonna have to pay 6+ million or 5+ million for Franson, then we all know we are gonna call him the biggest IDIOT on the planet paying that much.

When the truth is we aren't going to become instant contenders over night by signing one of them. Or trading for RNH or Johansen because we will be paying Horvat++ .

We need to build from within and give the guys we have a shot. If we need to trade core guys so be it.

We need to trade the guys that are dead weight and that could get us a pick or 2.

The key is to be patience with the young guys we are going to go through growing pains

All players gone from the line-up are traded I'm not gonna say to where and for how much because this is not a proposal.

My build from within lineup of 2015 ( BOLDED players are players with 82 or less NHL games under there belt)

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Each player with 82 or Less games has a mentor on their line to help them out

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Pedan-Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I like the idea of higgins traded, what would people think of Edler being traded too... who would you see as a potential trade target if JB did trade him? or would you even want to trade him?

The Canucks will build, its gonna take a few more drafts, some good development, and probably a surprise or two from a prospect in the system who you may not expect anything out of, all of a sudden comes out of his shell and becomes a role player type beauty. The Canucks have a few decent prospects in the pool, and no doubt they will add more in the coming seasons. I think thought, that the plan that TL and JB have been madated with, is the keep the team competative, keep in the playoffs throughout the rebuild, which makes it kind of hard to grab those top ten picks. I hope I'm wrong, but if they make more off-season moves for veteran role players, or the like, they'll just be offsetting the rebuild. Sure a Mike Green or Franson would be nice, but thats not the only missing piece. The best thing the Canucks can do, like the OP suggested, is let some of the youth up and grow from within. Let the young guys who are going to make up the next core get to know each other, build bonds, play together and build a team mentality.

Lets see what JB does this offseason, what do you guys think, does he try to patchwork things up again by signing or trading for 1 or 2 top 6 d and a top 9 forward, or does he try to make some moves for prospects and picks?

JB is an excellent scout apparently, but scouting is usually something that pays off over several seasons, so I could see more of a slow gradual soft rebuild. The twins are going to get us into the playoffs anyways; you couldn't ask for a better setting actually for our rising stars.

Baertschi, Clendening, Pedan, and Vey say otherwise. JB cut the timeframe on the picks given up by 3-4 years, and we still have our drafted prospects developing and doing well. Going to be a LOT of competition at this camp.

Lets see what JB does this offseason, what do you guys think, does he try to patchwork things up again by signing or trading for 1 or 2 top 6 d and a top 9 forward, or does he try to make some moves for prospects and picks?

This season JB fixed the forward depth, to where it's now obvious something has to be done with the D. Needs youth, size, speed, grit, offense... pretty much everything! Clendening will be on the team (waiver-eligible) and Pedan is likely to get called up at some point. Fair number of D will be graduating to pro next season (Hutton, Subban, McEneny, Cederholm, Liberati, possibly McNally). Will have to see how Hutton does, but other than Corrado and Biega that's about it that are ready.

Would not be at all surprised to see him bring in a decent top-four guy in the 23-29 age range to stabilize things while the others develop in Utica, and in the process let go one of the vets.

Archived