The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense: The Canucks Achilles Heel

PhillipBlunt

Had Ehrhoff... but we let him go to keep Bieksa :picard:

Ehrhoff will be an UFA come July 1st. The Canucks should really bring him back. No more bringing guys because of maybe's. Maybe Weber might be good enough, maybe Edler can find his offensive game, maybe the old Bieksa will be back, maybe some AHLer can make the transition, maybe another player without any chemistry (Garrison). Just bring back a guy with a proven track record working alongside the Sedins and Edler. Probably won't cost too much, I mean he's still cashing in from the Buffalo buy-out, plus he's injured too.

The lack of legit offensive option from the defense is hampering the Sedins. They're forced to go cycling in the corner, waiting for the perfect play since they have no other choice. Having Ehrhoff will allow them to throw the puck back to the point if the defenders are drawn out of position. Edler has a hard shot, but inaccurate and tends to get blocked. Christian Ehrhoff seems to have those seeing-eye shots. Plus, he's a legit top-4 guy unlike Yannick Weber, who should be a 6/7th type player.

First year in Vancouver, Henrik won the Art Ross. Second year with Vancouver, Daniel won the Art Ross. After he left, people kept saying someone is "off" with the Twins. Can't just be a coincidence.

Had Ehrhoff... but we let him go to keep Bieksa :picard:

Ehrhoff will be an UFA come July 1st. The Canucks should really bring him back. No more bringing guys because of maybe's. Maybe Weber might be good enough, maybe Edler can find his offensive game, maybe the old Bieksa will be back, maybe some AHLer can make the transition, maybe another player without any chemistry (Garrison). Just bring back a guy with a proven track record working alongside the Sedins and Edler. Probably won't cost too much, I mean he's still cashing in from the Buffalo buy-out, plus he's injured too.

The lack of legit offensive option from the defense is hampering the Sedins. They're forced to go cycling in the corner, waiting for the perfect play since they have no other choice. Having Ehrhoff will allow them to throw the puck back to the point if the defenders are drawn out of position. Edler has a hard shot, but inaccurate and tends to get blocked. Christian Ehrhoff seems to have those seeing-eye shots. Plus, he's a legit top-4 guy unlike Yannick Weber, who should be a 6/7th type player.

First year in Vancouver, Henrik won the Art Ross. Second year with Vancouver, Daniel won the Art Ross. After he left, people kept saying someone is "off" with the Twins. Can't just be a coincidence.

Sorry, but Ehrhoff is in no position to save us anymore.

We did fine the year after we left as we still had Salo FWIW ;)

IMO, the Ehrhoff ship has sailed, I'd target Green first.

We did fine the year after we left as we still had Salo FWIW ;)

IMO, the Ehrhoff ship has sailed, I'd target Green first.

Not sure if Green is an upgrade. I'm wondering if Benning already blew his UFA chips last summer. At this point there's already a cap crisis on the team. Last year we didn't have one at this point.

Not sure if Green is an upgrade. I'm wondering if Benning already blew his UFA chips last summer. At this point there's already a cap crisis on the team. Last year we didn't have one at this point.

We desperately need speed and offense from the back end. Green.

Just need to jettison some salary elsewhere. Miller, Higging, Bieksa....pick your poison.

subban may surprise the whole lot of us .

Unless you think Subban (or heck, Hutton, McNally, Clendening...) can play 1st pairing with Edler next season, we haven't got anyone to fill that spot.

We desperately need speed and offense from the back end. Green.

Just need to jettison some salary elsewhere. Miller, Higging, Bieksa....pick your poison.

Maybe Green circa 2010, sure. About the same time Ehrhoff was effective.

As for dumping another contract, well, isn't the end result just parallel, at best? Green's one of the most injury-prone guys in the NHL. I dunno. Benning's got some major work to do regardless of whatever fill-in players we cycle through during this period.

Maybe Green circa 2010, sure. About the same time Ehrhoff was effective.

As for dumping another contract, well, isn't the end result just parallel, at best? Green's one of the most injury-prone guys in the NHL. I dunno. Benning's got some major work to do regardless of whatever fill-in players we cycle through during this period.

Green's a risk (injury history, likely costly UFA contract) but he has EXACTLY the skill set this team has a gaping black hole of (decent size, speed, ability to carry/pass puck, offense) and he's just the right age where we could sign him for +/- 4 years and then have Hutton, McNally, Subban etc come in behind and be mentored by him.

If not Green, someone with a similar skill set.

It's either that or we have a good few years of a gap with no D to fulfill that role, no one to mentor that role to those guys and waste the last few years of the Sedins before they retire and Edler in his prime.

And he had 45 points in 72 games and was +15 'circa' this season...yes please.

Green's a risk (injury history, likely costly UFA contract) but he has EXACTLY the skill set this team has a gaping black hole of (decent size, speed, ability to carry/pass puck, offense) and he's just the right age where we could sign him for +/- 4 years and then have Hutton, McNally, Subban etc come in behind and be mentored by him.

If not Green, someone with a similar skill set.

It's either that or we have a good few years of a gap with no D to fulfill that role, no one to mentor that role to those guys and waste the last few years of the Sedins before they retire and Edler in his prime.

And he had 45 points in 72 games and was +15 'circa' this season...yes please.

Green doesn't strike me as a 'mentor' type. In fact, he seems like a real douchebag.

If we're keeping leadership intact for mentorship purposes, then Bieksa is the guy who's been here forever. Edler as well.

But whatever, I think we've been past the quick fix stage for years now. Losing to a pathetic Flames team is a good indicator of that. We should embrace the rebuild full on instead of bringing in more UFA's to pump regular season tires before seeing them off to early vacations.

Green doesn't strike me as a 'mentor' type. In fact, he seems like a real douchebag.

If we're keeping leadership intact for mentorship purposes, then Bieksa is the guy who's been here forever. Edler as well.

But whatever, I think we've been past the quick fix stage for years now. Losing to a pathetic Flames team is a good indicator of that. We should embrace the rebuild full on instead of bringing in more UFA's to pump regular season tires before seeing them off to early vacations.

I think you're missing the point. He doesn't need to be a behavioral role model, we've got plenty of guys for that, none better than the Sedins.

Edler or Bieksa are going to teach Hutton, Subbat et al tricks to being a better fast skating, offensive D...? :blink:

Green is not about a "quick fix". It's about roles and succession. Without roles filled the current team flounders. The Sedins final years go to waste. The next core has no one to show them the ropes and let them acclimate without having to perform in more prominent roles.

You turn in to Edmonton.

Rather get Franson than Green. He'd be cheaper than Green and maybe would take a discount considering he is a BC boy. Also a right handed shot.

Franson was a big minute guy for the Leafs. Also is a big guy himself 6'5'' 213lbs

18th(177) in hits among defenseman, 53rd overall,(more than any Canuck forward or defenseman).

Capable of putting up 30+ points. 17 PP points this year(same as Green)

Also in his prime at 27 years of age(turns 28 in August)

We would need to get rid of Bieksa though.

Rather get Franson than Green. He'd be cheaper than Green and maybe would take a discount considering he is a BC boy. Also a right handed shot.

Franson was a big minute guy for the Leafs. Also is a big guy himself 6'5'' 213lbs

18th(177) in hits among defenseman, 53rd overall,(more than any Canuck forward or defenseman).

Capable of putting up 30+ points. 17 PP points this year(same as Green)

Also in his prime at 27 years of age(turns 28 in August)

We would need to get rid of Bieksa though.

Franson's comparatively slow. You have seen the speed of the game lately, right? We need a player to fill that role not another Edler (we already have one thankfully).

There's a reason Green will cost more.

Franson's comparatively slow. You have seen the speed of the game lately, right? We need a player to fill that role not another Edler (we already have one thankfully).

There's a reason Green will cost more.

Hence why we should stay away. Green is going to get 6.5M+ in the open market where as Franson won't and could perhaps take a discount since he is from BC, that is only a possibility however.

Franson excels depsite the fact that he isn't as fast as Green

Franson is good on the PP which we need. Same amount of PP points as Green.

He hits more and blocks more shots while putting up numbers.

Hence why we should stay away. Green is going to get 6.5M+ in the open market where as Franson won't and could perhaps take a discount since he is from BC, that is only a possibility however.

Franson excels depsite the fact that he isn't as fast as Green

Franson is good on the PP which we need. Same amount of PP points as Green.

He hits more and blocks more shots while putting up numbers.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but we need a guy to fill a specific role. Franson's skill set is too similar to Edler IMO. He'd be Garrison 2.0 if he came here.

We need a Green (even if it's not Green), not another Edler or Garrison.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but we need a guy to fill a specific role. Franson's skill set is too similar to Edler IMO. He'd be Garrison 2.0 if he came here.

We need a Green (even if it's not Green), not another Edler or Garrison.

Franson isn't anything like Garrison.

Garrison doesn't hit. Franson has over 100 more hits than Garrison on the season. Also has blocked more shots.

Keep in mind Franson was on the Leafs for most of the season while Garrison was on a much better Tampa team.

Franson is better offensively as well.

Green will cost too much. Way too much. We can't afford to be giving defenseman Sedin-like money. He is going to be one of the most sought out UFAs on the market. Best we stay away from that.

D men don't grow on trees, we have to develop one from within our system. However, we don't have many picks, so you need to fix that problem first. The list I'd use as trade bait at the draft: Bonino, Kassian, Vey, Sbisa, Stanton, Clendening, Weber, Lack.

Corrado has shown flashes of being able to play the point on the PP. I wish we had better depth in the AHL to grow that part of his game.

I would hold on to kassian, as the playoffs showed we lacked big bodies like him

I thought Sbisa was our worst D all year and the playoffs. I think the poor play we saw from Bieksa in the playoffs was only because his partner Sbisa is so awful.

Or vice versa?

I think the game is starting to pass Bieksa by and it was Bieksa who made Sbisa look bad.

Franson isn't anything like Garrison.

Garrison doesn't hit. Franson has over 100 more hits than Garrison on the season. Also has blocked more shots.

Keep in mind Franson was on the Leafs for most of the season while Garrison was on a much better Tampa team.

Franson is better offensively as well.

Green will cost too much. Way too much. We can't afford to be giving defenseman Sedin-like money. He is going to be one of the most sought out UFAs on the market. Best we stay away from that.

They have diffeerent nuances but they're both bigger, not fast, physical D with offense.

Neither fill the role we need to fill (which you failed to address).

Cost too much compared to what? You get what you pay for and if you have a role that needs filling, you try to fill it. What exactly would be wrong with paying Green +/-$6.5m if he fills a much needed, valuable role vs paying Franson what $5m+ to fill a more redundant role?

Also, as I said, it doesn't have to be Green if Benning has something none of us are even currently considering up his sleeve. But it does need to be someone with a similar tool box IMO.

Archived