The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is more cursed by the hockey gods? Canucks, St. Louis?

jbrown89898989

Who is more cursed by the hockey gods?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started watching hockey around 99-00 but I can't remember the last time St. Louis was past the 2nd round? Either way, we've had a cup finals and a couple second round exits over the past few years, St. Louis hasn't even been that far so St. Louis gets my vote there

Dunno. St. Louis has three SCF loss in a row. It's brutal. At least we make the finals every 12-15 years.

St. Louis (67-present): + the finals were in the late sixties ('68 Montreal, '69 Montreal, '70 Boston) and all of them were 4-0. Since then, 1 Presidents' Trophy (1999–2000), and 9 division titles (1968–69, 1969–70, 1976–77, 1980–81, 1984–85, 1986–87, 1999–2000, 2011–12, 2014–15)

Ottawa (92-present): SCF in '07, against Anaheim (4-1), 1 Conference championship (2006–07), 1 Presidents' Trophy (2002–03), 4 divison championships (1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06)

Nashville (98-present): - nothing

Vancouver (70-present): SCF in '82 Islanders (4-0), '94 Rangers (4-3), '11 Boston (4-3), 3 Conference championships (1981–82, 1993–94, 2010–11), 2 Presidents' Trophies (2010–11, 2011–12) and 10 divison championships (1974–75, 1991–92, 1992–93, 2003–04, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13)

If you don't want to work and don't play your heart out, as a team, every night in the playoffs it doesn't matter what kind of team you have you won't get far in the playoffs. The Blues prove this over and over. They have an incredible mix of talent, size, and speed but lack that drive to get them to the next level. Minnesota simply out worked and outplayed them. Yes goaltending was a factor too as that seems to be the one thing St Louis is lacking but with a D core like that and the offensive firepower they have they should at least be able to make it past the first round.

St. Louis did lose 3 straight finals. So we're both 0-3 in finals appearances, which I think is the most without winning it.

Buffalo is 0-2 in the finals.

You could make cases for Hartford, and Quebec as well, as they lost franchises that then went on to win cups in other cities.

St. Louis did lose 3 straight finals. So we're both 0-3 in finals appearances, which I think is the most without winning it.

You could make cases for Hartford, and Quebec as well, as they lost franchises that then went on to win cups in other cities.

I think losing your hockey team then having them win the cup would be worse for sure

and Minnesota

Ever since Dan Cloutier's gaffe on Nick Lidstrom's shot from centre ice, I realized the Canucks will, forever, be cursed until Johnny Canuck is on the primary uniforms. Either as a primary crest or as a shoulder patch.

It all goes back to Black Tuesday, 1970. That was the spinning of the wheel between the expansion Canucks and Sabres. The wheel was numbered 1-12. Gilbert Perrault was the biggest prize in the '70 draft. The Canucks had numbers 1-6 and Buffalo had 7-12. The Canucks thought they won when they thought the wheel stopped on II. But Sabres management reminded NHL president Clarence Campbell the number was an 11, not Roman numeral II. The Sabres got Perrault, who was given #11. The Canucks have been cursed ever since:

1. Draft picks not panning out or not developing into future HHOFers.

2. Draft picks flourishing elsewhere. Ie. Mike Rogers, Bill Derlago, Rick Vaive, CAM NEELY.

3. Untimely injuries. Ie. Captain Kevin McCarthy before '82 Cup run. Markus Naslund breaking his leg in Buffalo with playoffs approaching.

4. Unfortunate plays in the playoffs. Ie. Blowing a 2-goal lead in Montreal in a do-or-die game at the Montreal Forum in '75. Harold Snepsts' giveaway to Mike Bossy with 2 seconds left in first overtime in Game 1 in '82 final. Stan Smyl's missed breakaway against Mike Vernon in '89. Nathan Lafayette's "PING" in Game 7 at MSG, '94. Goaltending meltdowns in the playoffs by Cloutier and Roberto Loungo.

Ever since Dan Cloutier's gaffe on Nick Lidstrom's shot from centre ice, I realized the Canucks will, forever, be cursed until Johnny Canuck is on the primary uniforms. Either as a primary crest or as a shoulder patch.

It all goes back to Black Tuesday, 1970. That was the spinning of the wheel between the expansion Canucks and Sabres. The wheel was numbered 1-12. Gilbert Perrault was the biggest prize in the '70 draft. The Canucks had numbers 1-6 and Buffalo had 7-12. The Canucks thought they won when they thought the wheel stopped on II. But Sabres management reminded NHL president Clarence Campbell the number was an 11, not Roman numeral II. The Sabres got Perrault, who was given #11. The Canucks have been cursed ever since:

1. Draft picks not panning out or not developing into future HHOFers.

2. Draft picks flourishing elsewhere. Ie. Mike Rogers, Bill Derlago, Rick Vaive, CAM NEELY.

3. Untimely injuries. Ie. Captain Kevin McCarthy before '82 Cup run. Markus Naslund breaking his leg in Buffalo with playoffs approaching.

4. Unfortunate plays in the playoffs. Ie. Blowing a 2-goal lead in Montreal in a do-or-die game at the Montreal Forum in '75. Harold Snepsts' giveaway to Mike Bossy with 2 seconds left in first overtime in Game 1 in '82 final. Stan Smyl's missed breakaway against Mike Vernon in '89. Nathan Lafayette's "PING" in Game 7 at MSG, '94. Goaltending meltdowns in the playoffs by Cloutier and Roberto Loungo.

So.....we lose because we don't have a lumberjack on our jersey? In case you didn't know the old Canucks never had the lumberjack on their uniforms, only until the very end of their WHL tenure.

Don't see a lumberjack here:

aeaf_1.jpg

68-69VanCan_zpsftgwo4kl.jpg

In fact I don't think they went to the Johnny Canuck until the last season:

our_game_gallery_23_slide_zps72dsqlw4.jp

STL will just trade for Malkin and their issues will be largely resolved. Neither of us are cursed. We got JB imo one of the most talented GM's in the league. We aren't cursed if we were we would be the edmonton oilers of the past 10 years. They finally got some luck now with McDavid/Chirarelli.

Archived