The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have a Great Team Culture thanks to WD, JB and TL

Angry Goose

9967663.jpg

I was listening to team 1040 after game 6 and they mentioned a video WD showed the team before the game. It was a video of a turtle stuck on it's back, and how another turtle after a lot of time spent managed to help the other turtle get back on it's feet. WD said he wants his players to be just like the turtles: play hard care for each other and have each others backs. Similarly, when WD was asked about who his favorite players back in Texas were he couldn't say- only that he liked them all equally as he felt like a father to them.

Say what you will about his coaching decisions, but I don't think anyone doubts the belief WD has in his players, and the togetherness I'm sure it creates as a team. It goes a long way in getting the team as individuals to play to their full potential. Doesn't mean things will always go perfectly, but like WD says if you play hard you always have a chance.

Multiple threads ask what JB should do in the off season and no doubt he will tinker with this lineup- that is his job. But I don't think people need worry: the Canucks have an identity. They will play hard, will roll 4 lines and most importantly play for each other. To me at least, the future looks bright with this team, no matter the stumbles along the way.

Of course there will be negativity, because neither the players, coaching staff, management or the fans are happy with the final result. Unless the team wins a Stanley Cup there always will be- I guess that is just the nature of sports. I just hope before the fans/media before start tossing players or personnel into the void, I think some perspective is needed. They are people too and WD understands that. People all too quickly forget that a number of Canucks had huge bounce back seasons, partly due to WD/JB/TL's faith in them. I think the majority of this group still deserves another chance because they earned it, and as 'feely' as it sounds, they are important and cared about members of the team. You hear players say that the room is full of great guys and from my competitive sports experience that goes a long ways.

I for one wouldn't care if JB didn't make many changes and just allowed vets and young players to compete for jobs. If he can get a UFA or two to help fill needs/holes so much the better. I know it is the unpopular position but feel free to flame/discuss.

Listening to the players you'd think they won the cup. A lower seed completely outplayed them in arguably 3-4 of 6 games. Also blew multiple lead in game 6. Ferland who nobody knows of, was a factor.

Make the playoffs and lose is something they are happy with. Still believe in the core when the fans do not (see empty rink).... management has to see some good progress only comes with youth and keep only a few vets; rest get rid of them

I respect your opinion but to be honest I think the culture is the biggest thing wrong with this team.

It is fine to say work hard, play for each other and you will be rewarded by the coach. But is that actually true?

We saw a lot of stubbornness and sticking with underachieving players even when others were outperforming them. This was especially evident with Higgins being crazy glued to the top 6 and pp when he was offensively pretty much useless all season. Or Dorsett getting significant pp time. Or vey getting pp opportunity even after going completely cold while Horvat, Matthias, and Kassian were lighting it up for a good stretch and seeing no pp time.

The we are all one and everyone earn their spot mantra is nothing but smoke and mirrors and has even for many years with the Canucks.

Desjardins would have sent Horvat back to junior. Seriously.

The do as I say not as I do leadership of guys like Bieksa all while begging for one more chance is a defining exclamation point on the culture of this team.

I have no doubt they want the culture you talk about but I question them actually having it. Desjardins looked like he would rather lose with his guys than trust anyone not on his approved list. His stubbornness needs to change in a hurry.

As for the core it is time for meaningful changes in skill and leadership. This team has had many chances with the same result. They have not earned yet another one more chance. They got it and they blew it. If Benning commits to this core again I will have a tough time watching. 35 years or so of being a die hard fan means I can only watch the same movie so many times when I know the ending.

Look at the beginning of the season to now...no one thought this team would do anything and most accepted the fact that it's a transitional time, with changes being made.

FF a few months and some success means that people abandon everything and want the cup...NOW. And, with that, the team's back to being bums for not completing the mission that was never expected out of the gates. Keep it in check as what it i. Sure, everyone wants the cup and nothing less but this year was a success in comparison to last year. AND young up and coming players are gathering experience and mentoring from some of the best.

There is a culture of immediate gratification in this city and no one has patience. Now the "45 year" club will chime in...but tell me this: has it been the same group for 45 years? No, it hasn't and to pin the long drought without a cup on current members always boggles my mind. This group is getting us close and it's a work in progress.

Sure, people will ram this "failure" as they view it down the throats of those willing to hang in for the long haul and "wait" as the transition continues. I've said it more than once lately...it's not an explosion that takes place. The players don't exit with new, ready to go superheroes that immediately win all the time every time ready to take over.

So we didn't challenge for the cup. Like 20+ other teams in this league will experience. I, for one, like the positive things I am seeing and hope for more of the same. I actually liked Henrik quickly and abruptly throwing out his answer to whether or not he'd be willing to give up ice time. He isn't. That's a competitive nature that means he's going to challenge the youngs guys pushing to come through. That's a win win for everyone.

Those wanting them (our veterans) to simply step aside/back? That's a roll over and die culture and they are making the young guns earn it. In the end, we'll all be better off for that.

A roller coaster ride this year and there were games that they mailed it in despite the rhetoric that looks past that. That, too, is a learning experience. No more of those. But the games they did show their stuff convinced me that they still can compete while sliding a new roster into place. It will be a gradual thing, not something that wipes out the roster with all new names. That's a crapshoot and, again, I agree with the Sedins when they say that people think "young" means "guaranteed win". It doesn't.

I certainly don't have the answers but have faith in those who should. I hated how it ended but keep it in perspective in a big picture way and will be back, as usual, next year.

Listening to the players you'd think they won the cup. A lower seed completely outplayed them in arguably 3-4 of 6 games. Also blew multiple lead in game 6. Ferland who nobody knows of, was a factor.

Make the playoffs and lose is something they are happy with. Still believe in the core when the fans do not (see empty rink).... management has to see some good progress only comes with youth and keep only a few vets; rest get rid of them

You say lower seeded like we completely outmatched them on paper.

The flames had an 8 game losing streak during the season and we were still tied with them in points before we played the oilers.

They should have won that series and they did.

I don't expect the cup now. I don't expect it ever. What I expect as a fan is that status quo is not good enough.

There are too many variables to expect any team to win a cup. Hope yes, expect no.

What I have an issue with is the perpetual fear by the Canucks and many on cdc that changing the old guard automatically means things get worse. Cup contenders have one thing in common it seems. They are not afraid to move forward. The Canucks seem scared to do so. Living in 2011 like guys like Bieksa etc seem to do just dooms this team. We get it. You had a good run 4 years ago. It is meaningless.

And deb I respectfully disagree. It is not the majority of fans who have a need for instant gratification. Many of us are willing to support the team even through a rebuild. It is the aquilinis and the Canucks themselves that want instant gratification every year.

You say lower seeded like we completely outmatched them on paper.

The flames had an 8 game losing streak during the season and we were still tied with them in points before we played the oilers.

They should have won that series and they did.

No they should not have. Our healthy lineup, experience and UFA spending, combined with the great team culture and rolling 4 lines, etc. should have seen this team prevail against a soft but for one player lineup missing their best defenseman.

good culture is for sure here... there is a difference between regular season and playoffs. Its always the same tendencies that hurt the canucks and no one, no one seems to pick up on them, and thats why we lose.

Tendencies include:

1. getting cocky(we wanted the flames because we thought we should beat them) don't deny anything.

2. we stop skating and coaches fail to see it when we have the lead.

3. leaders on the team let the laziness happen.

4. don't capitalize(like making good line up choices, ice time control, proper defense pairings). when we have home ice advantage.

5. don't take advantage of the flames weaker players... (the flames took advantage of ours)...

6. Hartley pulled his goalie on 3 goals why didn't we? recognize that some times a change in net can show a team its time to start playing.

7.every team plays with injuries... can you imagine if henrik or daniel were not in the series the same as burrows.... Giordano is out but the flames survived.

8.need to get into the opponents head and make them see fear we never do that.... always seems like the other teams players are like gods all the sudden...

regular season success for sure... playoffs in my mind wern' t for the same old reason we lose to a team because we were out worked! I know we could of beaten them and we should of.

I respect your opinion but to be honest I think the culture is the biggest thing wrong with this team.

It is fine to say work hard, play for each other and you will be rewarded by the coach. But is that actually true?

We saw a lot of stubbornness and sticking with underachieving players even when others were outperforming them. This was especially evident with Higgins being crazy glued to the top 6 and pp when he was offensively pretty much useless all season. Or Dorsett getting significant pp time. Or vey getting pp opportunity even after going completely cold while Horvat, Matthias, and Kassian were lighting it up for a good stretch and seeing no pp time.

The we are all one and everyone earn their spot mantra is nothing but smoke and mirrors and has even for many years with the Canucks.

The do as I say not as I do leadership of guys like Bieksa all while begging for one more chance is a defining exclamation point on the culture of this team.

I have no doubt they want the culture you talk about but I question them actually having it. Desjardins looked like he would rather lose with his guys than trust anyone not on his approved list. His stubbornness needs to change in a hurry.

As for the core it is time for meaningful changes in skill and leadership. This team has had many chances with the same result. They have not earned yet another one more chance. They got it and they blew it. If Benning commits to this core again I will have a tough time watching. 35 years or so of being a die hard fan means I can only watch the same movie so many times when I know the ending.

The only thing I disagree with is that I could totally watch Die Hard for 35 years

yippee ki yay

The culture which is instilled by this holy-mother-of-god-never-changing core is exactly what's wrong with this team. The majority of this core has been given more than their fair share of chances by 3 different managements (Nonis, Gillis and now JB). It's not fair to us the fans that we have to sit through it for another year. They've had more than enough chances to do it together and they just can't do it. How many times do we have to hear the same exact things by the same exact people at the end of the year? No, for crying out loud this core does not need one more chance.

I can no longer watch the Sedins getting pushed around in the playoffs and them not fighting back. I can no longer tolerate Edler seeing his goalie get run over or snow showered and him just standing there pretending nothing happened. I can no longer witness the cruel treatment that Burrows gets from the referees every game because of something he did 8 years ago (which wasn't even unjustified). I can no longer listen to the forwards say they couldn't score enough goals in the playoffs year in and year out. I can no longer watch Hansen skate right by Dmen and not finish his checks when he's on the forecheck. I can no longer stand preferential treatment for this core by every fricking coaching staff they played under (psssst, WD, Higgins and Hansen are not offensive players, try playing someone else in the top 6 or on the PP). I can no longer watch this core be the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of inconsistency, especially in the playoffs.

It's the same story year after year, and it's not going to change next year. I will happily support this team going through a rebuild with lots young guys taking the spots of the old players because I will be watching something different, but I can't sit there in my good sense and watch this team for another year trying to trick myself into thinking the end result will be different. You can call me a bandwagon fan if you want, I don't care. I've been a die hard fan of this team for almost a decade now and I know this isn't a long time for some of you but it's just too hard to mindlessly keep going through the motions and expect a different result.

2011 was amazing and it was something none of us will ever forget, but we have to stop living in the past.

This core has been together for a long time, and we haven't won. This core is only getting older, only getting WORSE. Look at 2011 Bieksa, Hammer. They're not those players anymore. We have to move on.

I think we can still win with these guys on the team, but we can't win with them being the top players anymore. Since 2012 we have lost 3 playoff series, only winning 3 times. This core has had it's chances since 2009 to win a cup being the top guys. It's not happening. It's hearbreaking and it sucks, but it's not happening.

I love the teams culture. I think it's perfect just the way it is. I'm just praying that JB will address the needs of the team this offseason. One thing I did notice was that the fans weren't cheering loud enough for our boys like what the foams and jets have. Sure we were ferocious and loud in game 5, but I didnt see it much games 1 and 2. Not saying our fans ain't loyal but just pointing it out. Just make changes and go for the cup next year. Go Canucks go!!

You make excellent points. It's about creating a culture of "winning" The core of this group has been through 4 series losses in a row where they have got thumped physically and emotionally. Don't tell me that didn't creep into their minds up 3-0 on Saturday....oh " here we go again". I like to compare it to my Seahawks down the I5...I know, it's football but here hear me out. For years they were a laughing stock of the league only waffling in limited success. Schneider and Carroll came in and created a " winning culture" ...one of accountability and no excuses.... of "next man up" mentality. They made hundred's of transactions and made "hard decisions" in getting rid of popular vets with bad contracts for the betterment and success of "the team" It got us a Superbowl and 1 foot away from a 2nd. They also went out and got "leaders"...i.e. Russell Wilson who can put a team on their back and lead their team to Victory. With all do respect to the Sedin's....who are probably 2 of the finest humans you'll ever meet, they are not those players nor will they ever be. It's time for the next crop...Horvat, Virtanen, etc to be "those guys". If JB, TL and crew really want to create that winning culture they'll start by making those hard decisions for the success of the team.

Archived