The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hard to Emotionally Invest In This League

westvandude

I'm angry as most of the canucks fans are, but I'm angry at a different target and for different reasons.

I've been emotionally invested in this team for the past 15 years, and been through a lot of ups and downs. Have experienced exhilarating victories and crushing defeats, but the latter have outweighed the former by a larger margin. I know it's the culture that winning the cup is the only important thing, and anything short of that isn't considered more than a minor achievement. It doesn't matter if you've dominated the league over 6 months and 82 games, only to fall to a hot team in a short 7 game series and even worse if you fell because of back luck with injuries, bounces and game changing referee mistakes.

I'm angry at the league and how it's structured and the whole culture. The Canucks that I've watched have achieved much more than every other Canadian team in the past 15 years (except maybe Montreal, and they've never made it to the SC final in that time frame). And I'm tired of hearing the "no cups" BS. It doesn't matter if your team won a cup when my grandpa was a kid. In fact to me it's irrelevant whether your team has won a cup unless you have personally gone thru the ups and downs of the season and have watched them lift the cup. But that's not the culture.

I really wanted this canucks team to win at least this series. It was more than just my feeling, it was about a great and highly likeable and respectable management team down to the players.

And we lost even though we never really got dominated. It seemed like we had to dominate 4-5 mins to get a goal, and they just got some fortunate bounce to get back in it. We did what we were supposed to do to win game 6, went up 3-0, never really got dominated after that but they tied it anyways. Then we worked hard again, shift after shift of domination until we got the 4th, and were killing the game nicely in the 3rd, and of course this time the refs come with a highly questionable soft penalty call that changed the series.

How can I be expected to want to come back again next year and be as committed to the team and spend money on the league over 82 games when history has shown that it doesn't matter if we play hard or soft, classy or dirty, they just find a way to kick this team out, and not even pay them the proper respect they deserve.

And it's not just the Canucks. Look at the poor Blues team. They too deserve a cup IMO, but year after year of dominating the league and putting the a great team together, they get screwed by a hot team with the right bounces.

So either stop the "win the cup or you're a loser regardless of your effort level and luck" argument, or change the structure of the league so teams that work hard during the year to build a solid team are rewarded in the playoffs with consistent referee calls and proper advantages (e.g. if it was up to me, I would give a 1 or 2 game lead to the higher seed team if they finished with 5-10 points higher... reward consistency over getting hot and lucky at the end of the season)

Nobody deserves to win a Cup until you actually do. And it takes a lot to do it.

The Canucks did what they were supposed to do to win game 6? Does that include blowing a 3-0 lead to the youngest team in the playoffs?

Sorry, but with all due respect, that post is a whole lot of entitled whining. You're free to acknowledge and celebrate whatever you want ..... it's your fandom, so it's all good. Just don't be naive enough to expect everyone else to join in with a bunch of platitudes for a middle-of-the-pack team.

Having followed the team for the last 15yrs, you've only witnessed the good days. I think maybe it's more and more clear that the fans are exhausted. Maybe a break is needed so excitement can build again. Excitement about a rebuilt team with new star power.

New Star power = Chychrun?

Having followed the team for the last 15yrs, you've only witnessed the good days. I think maybe it's more and more clear that the fans are exhausted. Maybe a break is needed so excitement can build again. Excitement about a rebuilt team with new star power.

Nearly getting swept back to back, 2-13 playoff record coming into this year, losing the cup twice in game 7. Sounds like hell to me.

Nearly getting swept back to back, 2-13 playoff record coming into this year, losing the cup twice in game 7. Sounds like hell to me.

Would you rather be Florida and have exactly one playoff appearance since 2000? How about Toronto with one playoff appearance since 2004? Edmonton with 4 first-overall picks in 6 years? How about Columbus with 2 playoff wins in 15 years? Or Winnipeg with exactly 0 playoff wins?

Maybe you'd rather be Washington with 0 appearances in the conference final since 1998. Or San Jose who blew a 3-0 series lead last year and lost 3 conference finals while winning so much as 3 games in the process. Canucks at least made it to the Cup Final in 2011.

Best of all, how would you like to be a fan of the Canucks from 1970 to 1991? Two winning seasons. Three playoff series wins. One Cup Final sweep to the Islanders. That was hell. You have no idea how bad that was.

God, some people are entitled. Also, 1994 was 21 years ago, nice math.

He never experienced the dark messier and Keenan years which is a chapter in canucks history best forgotten and never spoken about again.

I was talking about my life time (and I knew some ignorant stuck up piece of trash was going to say that). I don't think i'm entitled, although the heartbreak that we've dealt with is incredible. You put way too much effort into that, so close your mouth you goof. I don't ever want to see you in my thread again.

Great. Most of the stuff I described happened in your lifetime.

If your lifetime is 15 years, you've never witnessed the Canucks miss the playoffs in consecutive years, finish below .500 or win fewer than 36 games. Whatever your definition of hell is, it's sure different than mine. If it's not winning the Cup, then 19 other teams are in hell, too.

As long as it makes you angry, I'm staying in your threads.

Great. Most of the stuff I described happened in your lifetime.

If your lifetime is 15 years, you've never witnessed the Canucks miss the playoffs in consecutive years, finish below .500 or win fewer than 36 games. Whatever your definition of hell is, it's sure different than mine. If it's not winning the Cup, then 19 other teams are in hell, too.

As long as it makes you angry, I'm staying in your threads.

It doesn't make me angry, I enjoy ripping scrubs. Like I said my lifetime is longer than that rat boy.

I felt this way too and it's just too much to get worked up about. After 2011, I never really got over it because it was stolen from us. It's always something. I went from a dedicated fan to a casual hockey fan at most. I was getting a glimmer of hope back this season but between what happened this post-season and Edmonton winning McDavid, I can't find a reason to watch it anymore aside from the pure entertainment value.

Well said brother. I too am bothered by horrible officiating and the phantom call on McMillan.

2 minutes for... Ummm...

2 minutes for???

Iono maybe for having Vancouver written on your chest? That's what the penalty was for right?

As a hockey player, and avid Canuck fan through the "dark years" of Keenan and goalie graveyards/rotating goalies and being the whipping boys of the west, as much as I'd say I won't get emotionally involved with the Canucks it just happens.

And that's what being a fan (and rather a hockey-loving dude) is. Doesn't mean I don't criticize the time, hell my friends say I'm too critical of what the Canucks can produce at times.

Sometimes we get the breaks, sometimes we don't. Everyone's human including the refs. Don't like it? Don't watch. Simple.

Archived