The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning rebuild on the fly.

BMorrison 7

www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-gm-benning-wants-to-improve-on-the-fly/

I have to say I am a little disappointed that this management group isn't gonna take a bigger action to Rebuild this team and just retool. Benning thinks that this core can still compete and be successful. I am happy to hear that he is very willing to ask players on our team with NTC to waive but some of the decisions he has made like to sign sbisa for 3.6M just doesn't make sense. He mentioned he wants to be like Detroit or Boston. Boston had lots of luck with there free agents and stuff and had a glory run like us and beat us now they aren't even in the playoffs. Detroit on the other hand has been successful this year by making the playoffs this year and every other year but haven't really been close to winning a stanley cup in 7 years. Also Detroit got really lucky by drafting studs in the later rounds like Federov and zetterberg and datsyuk.

Does benning think he is just gonna replicate this and be like Detroit and get total studs in the later rounds. I don't know but it seems to me that he is trying to get into the first round every year and just see how it goes and get lucky. I don't know about you guys but I don't wanna just get into the first round every year and lose I wanna draft high and rebuild and push for the cup it seems a lot more productive. I personally don't blame Detroit for doing this because they already have lots of stanley cups, we don't have any. All our forwards are old and he wants to draft 20th overall every year and thinks were gonna be like Anahiem in 5 years. Change isn't coming, same old same old. He says he wants to build a culture around winning for the younger guys OK great but the thing is getting into the first round every year isn't winning anything. I'm not saying be like the oilers obviously I'm just saying he should be rebuild more then what he plans on doing.everyone gets the wrong idea of a rebuild, don't think of edmonton think of calgary. Who started a more aggressive rebuild a couple years ago and beat us in the first round yeah that team.

Burning it to the ground rebuild guarantees one thing, that you'll suck for while. Use your draft picks wisely and you can dig yourself out, sure. But why not just try to be competitive AND use your draft picks wisely.

Burning it to the ground rebuild guarantees one thing, that you'll suck for while. Use your draft picks wisely and you can dig yourself out, sure. But why not just try to be competitive AND use your draft picks wisely.

everyone gets the wrong idea of a rebuild, don't think of edmonton think of calgary. Who started a more aggressive rebuild a couple years ago and beat us in the first round yeah that team.

I think Vancouver will be okay. I do agree that Vancouver probably can't win with the Sedins as front line players but they absolutely can with someone like Horvat taking charge.

I think that if someone like Horvat can be the locker room voice and put the team on his back (in 2 years) and the Sedins can play the secondary scoring role we have a good shot.

I hate to say it but in order for this to happen Burrows and Higgens and probably Bieksa need to be moved.

"We’re going to go through other teams’ reserves list and we’re going to make up lists of names of guys that we think we can develop and that are going to help us win going forward,"

Man never stops trying to improve his team. No matter what others think, I believe Benning will be here for a long long time.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" Tim Notke

and I believe Benning has both

What we’re trying to do is we’re trying to add core prospects ‘on the fly’, as you’d say," Benning continued. "We have a good team, but we want to develop those young players in a winning environment."

Right in the link he posted.

Kind of wanted to start my own thread on this but it seems relevant to post it in here.

I see where you're coming from OP. I agree I don't want to have our franchise modelled after Boston or Detroit; like most fans I want to see us win a cup and be a threat year after year. Neither Boston or Detroit are considered contenders regularly. Chicago's and LAs (aside from this year) have been considered contenders each year for the past 2,3,4+ years. Even Pittsburgh tanked and won a cup (albeit only one). People love to bring up Edmonton but for all we know they could turn into the next Chicago Blackhawks.

That being said, I disagree about Benning, I think he's done a terrific job thus far.

"All our forwards are old and he wants to draft 20th overall every year and thinks were gonna be like Anahiem in 5 years. Change isn't coming, same old same old."

Change has come.

Just look at where our prospects are ranked.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2014-15/page/2

We're 18th overall. That may not seem high but when in the past 15+ years have we ever had the amount of young talent we currently have? I can't remember a time. In just a year Benning has improved our prospect pool drastically (granted MG gets a little credit). Now back to our 18th overall rank, they have our top 5 prospects as:

"Jake Virtanen, RW; 2. Thatcher Demko, G; 3. Bo Horvat, C; 4. Nikita Tryamkin, D; 5. Hunter Shinkaruk, LW."

Calgary is ranked 2nd overall and guess who's on their list at number 3? Sven Baertschi.

Chicago is ranked 7th and guess who is their number 4 ranked prospect? Adam Clendening.

So the Canucks are ranked 18th overall NOT including our pickups of Baertschi and Clendening. That could potentially move us into the top 10 for prospects. And what did we give up for these 2? A 2nd for Baertschi and Forsling for Clendening.

"Does benning think he is just gonna replicate this and be like Detroit and get total studs in the later rounds. I don't know but it seems to me that he is trying to get into the first round every year and just see how it goes and get lucky"

No Benning clearly isn't trying to replicate this and draft studs in the later rounds. Look at the Baertschi trade as an example. He traded away a 2nd for a former 13th overall pick in Baertschi. Benning is quietly pulling off some nice steals and our prospect strength is improving drastically.

The Canucks have something I haven't seen in the past 15 years. A GM commited to building our prospect pool. After only a year at the helm, we have the strongest group of young players I can remember in a long time. A group that will transition nicely into our current core. Exciting times are ahead for us with Jim Benning guiding this team.

Will be a interesting summer. Tell me why you wouldn't want Griener on this team next year. The guy is playing like a complete power-forward. It's about opportunity, we have given this core how many chances? They have shown time and time again that they can't get it done in the playoffs. Therefore, I rather have young players who make mistakes and are fun to watch. Even if it means coming in 10th place.

Your right what's the point in finishing well in the regular season, only to be exposed in the playoffs? I mean this was a Calgary team that were missing Lanuce Bouma and there top defencemen. They played with 3 guys on the back-end and still we couldn't beat them. So either, Calgary is that good or yep. Change needs to come, lets hope our guys in Utica go far in their playoffs. (they won today from a goal from archibald in OT) We need guys in Utica to get chances eg Clendenning, Corrado, Griener, Jensen, have paid their dues. Especially Corrado, WOW give this kid a chance. Until the core is here you can't have a youth movement.

Kind of wanted to start my own thread on this but it seems relevant to post it in here.

I see where you're coming from OP. I agree I don't want to have our franchise modelled after Boston or Detroit; like most fans I want to see us win a cup and be a threat year after year. Neither Boston or Detroit are considered contenders regularly. Chicago's and LAs (aside from this year) have been considered contenders each year for the past 2,3,4+ years. Even Pittsburgh tanked and won a cup (albeit only one). People love to bring up Edmonton but for all we know they could turn into the next Chicago Blackhawks.

That being said, I disagree about Benning, I think he's done a terrific job thus far.

"All our forwards are old and he wants to draft 20th overall every year and thinks were gonna be like Anahiem in 5 years. Change isn't coming, same old same old."

Change has come.

We're 18th overall. That may not seem high but when in the past 15+ years have we ever had the amount of young talent we currently have? I can't remember a time. In just a year Benning has improved our prospect pool drastically (granted MG gets a little credit). Now back to our 18th overall rank, they have our top 5 prospects as:

"Jake Virtanen, RW; 2. Thatcher Demko, G; 3. Bo Horvat, C; 4. Nikita Tryamkin, D; 5. Hunter Shinkaruk, LW."

Calgary is ranked 2nd overall and guess who's on their list at number 3? Sven Baertschi.

Chicago is ranked 7th and guess who is their number 4 ranked prospect? Adam Clendening.

So the Canucks are ranked 18th overall NOT including our pickups of Baertschi and Clendening. That could potentially move us into the top 10 for prospects. And what did we give up for these 2? A 2nd for Baertschi and Forsling for Clendening.

"Does benning think he is just gonna replicate this and be like Detroit and get total studs in the later rounds. I don't know but it seems to me that he is trying to get into the first round every year and just see how it goes and get lucky"

No Benning clearly isn't trying to replicate this and draft studs in the later rounds. Look at the Baertschi trade as an example. He traded away a 2nd for a former 13th overall pick in Baertschi. Benning is quietly pulling off some nice steals and our prospect strength is improving drastically.

The Canucks have something I haven't seen in the past 15 years. A GM commited to building our prospect pool. After only a year at the helm, we have the strongest group of young players I can remember in a long time. A group that will transition nicely into our current core. Exciting times are ahead for us with Jim Benning guiding this team.

Agree!!

Change has come.

Not including Mccann's transition from being projected as a 3rd line center to being projected as a top 6 center.

Change has come.

I like most everything you say except these steals your talking about aren't really steals until they pan out (bear cheese and clendening) but they seem like good calculated risks to me.

The cancer of a hockey team though is bad contracts and Jim Benning seems a little weak in this area if you ask me.

This is a business, the more money they can generate the better; unfortunately the fan base can't handle a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

The fan base didn't even care enough to sell out the games in the playoffs. Maybe they just can't handle watching an elderly regular season team.

I wonder how long people think the team's 'stars', the Sedins, will last? Forever? lul

This is a business, the more money they can generate the better; unfortunately the fan base can't handle a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

this fanbase is an educated one for the most part in my opinion and they don't wanna see this same exact core year after year.

Already posted in the one that was created first, but since this has more replies it'll probably be the one that sticks:

It means he's going to draft smart, move people where he can, and continue to bring in players a little further along in their development so bolster that age gap. Just because he isn't going to tear it down like you want doesn't mean it's bad.

Having top notch scouts with the ability to find diamonds in the rough is precisely what this team needs.

Benning will have this team competitive quickly, scouting is very important to him.

I always hoped one day we would have a GM who makes scouting a priority. Finally we do.

Change has come.

Well said! I totally Agree. Benning is doing a great job here. I'm a fan of his strategy.

Archived